How much does everyone pay for gas & electric?

Options
Hi - I hugely dislike how much i am paying to British Gas each month..and it occurred to me, i havent a CLUE whether it is the average or not! Just an "Out of interest" post, really! :money:

So, i am in a 3 bedroom house with 2 adults and one child (7years). We don't use any more electric or gas than i would assume "normal" families of this size use.... My bill for September which will be going out (boo hoo!) very soon is £65 per month Gas and then £45 per month Electric. Does this sound about right to others in similar situations??

:cool::cool: God i am going to be BROKE :eek:

Also, we can't as we understand it change suppliers as we are in a privately rented property...we were told by landlady that she was the only one who could make that decision so no chance of jumping to another provider who may be cheaper :mad:
Baldrick, does it have to be this way? Our valued friendship ending with me cutting you up into strips and telling the prince that you walked over a very sharp cattle grid in an extremely heavy hat?

Comments

• UncleZen
    UncleZen Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well, to give an accurate answer one would need to know how many KWh's of gas and elec you use.
  • bigmomma051204
    Options
    As i mentioned - i am not in need of an accurate answer... more a general idea of how much other people in similar situations (ie members of household and size house) are paying out. I really don't want specific answers with calculations etc etc - just wondered really :p
    Baldrick, does it have to be this way? Our valued friendship ending with me cutting you up into strips and telling the prince that you walked over a very sharp cattle grid in an extremely heavy hat?
  • hayleythedaisy
    Options
    Last winter ours was £120 a month for Gas, and £33 for electric. However we'd only just moved in and had a boiler that's 31 years old, as well as no insulation and holes in walls. Since March we've averaged £12 a month gas and £27 a month electric. (We've blocked holes, improved insulation, fitted a combi boiler and 2 new radiators.)
    That's for a 3 bed semi, 2 adults, probably about average users.
    Bump due 22nd September
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The average is 16,500kWh per year of gas and 3,300kWh per year of electric. You have a family in a 3 bedroom house so I'd say that is quite average. A single person in a flat would use much less. A detached 5 bedroom house with 6 people would use a lot more. An new build with lots of insulation would then use less again and an old stone cottage would use more. You would use more than average in Scotland and less in London.

If you don't want an accurate answer the answer I'll give you is "that's about right."
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • hayleythedaisy
    Options
    Also, although your landlord has ultimate say who you use, if you point out her choice is increasing your bills excessively she'd be either mean or stupid not to let you switch. And while I've rented I've changed providers without the landlords permission, (naughty I know, I'm not recommending getting into trouble!) the landlord didn't even realise who it was supposed to be with!
    Bump due 22nd September
  • Solstice_Twilight
    Options
    Two adults at home. We're with British Gas and live in a late Victorian townhouse with three bedrooms & central heating. Windows are double glazed, but a couple of them are draughty, so not particularly energy efficient! Our electricity comes in at about £35 a month and the gas at £45 per month, and we pay roughly the same amount all year round as summer balances out the winter. We tend to have a couple of things running 24/7 (fridge/freezer, cordless telephones, bedroom clock and my uni laptop is always plugged in and charging) but other than that, we try to switch everything off at the plug when it's not in use. At one point we were racking up a massive electricity and gas bill, as OH was out of work, so the central heating was on all day in winter (we normally run it from 6 - 8am and then from 4-9pm, and let it go on a little later on particularly cold evenings and weekends), and the electricity one person can use just having a PC on all day, watching TV, putting an extra load through the dishwasher and boiling the kettle was quite frightening!
    Original debts: £14,250
    Still to pay: £250 /£950 - Lloyds TSB overdraft (although with interest and charges, I've already paid £1,675!)

VSP#150 - £68.25
  • cooking-mama
    cooking-mama Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    edited 3 September 2011 at 10:36AM
    Options
    3 bed,semi detached,2 adults,+ 2 teenagers=£70 gas and £44 electricity monthly DD...new values on EDF fixed 2014.(EDF only wanted £66 a month for gas,but im worried this is too low,so asked them to set DD at £70)..British gas was around £80+ for gas and £45 for electricity,thats why i switched
    Slimming World..Wk1,..STS,..Wk2,..-2LB,..Wk3,..-3.5lb,..Wk4,..-2.5,..Wk5,..-1/2lb,Wk6,..STS,..Wk7,..-1lb.
    Week 10,total weightloss is now 13.5lbs Week 11 STSweek 14(I think)..-2, total loss now 1 stone exactly
    GOT TO TARGET..1/2lb under now weigh 10st 6.5(lost 1st 3.5lbs)
  • uptomyeyeballs
    uptomyeyeballs Posts: 575 Forumite
    edited 5 September 2011 at 3:31PM
    Options
    7,740 kWh Gas, 2,400 kWh hours Electric in a two bedroom terrace equates to £50/month for me.

[IMG]http://www.neforum2.co.uk/images/Usage 001.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.neforum2.co.uk/images/Usage 002.jpg[/IMG]
  • JSF23
    JSF23 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    The 12 months July to July I used

7,221 kwh Elec

23,499 kwh Gas

3 bed semi, 2 adults, 3 kids. Numerous TV's, PC's, Xbox's. Dishwasher and tumble dryer don't help.

I currently pay £125 p/m on Eon saveonline 3. I'll probably need to increase to £140 following price hikes.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use 2700kWh electric annually (£270). I pay £30 month. No gas and spend between £60 - £90 a year on coal for my stove. Single person at work all day, 3 bed detached bungalow in rural location.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure