Are websites the same as shops re:consumer rights

Options
Hi
I recently (2 weeks ago) brought a very expensive camera lens through a uk web site. The lens was an amazing bargin £849 (believe or not for this lens £849 is a deal). The best price i have seen up until now for this lens would be £1,200. I rechecked the web site a day later to double check on the price and it had been changed to £1300. However i was sent an order received e-mail and a day or so later the paypal payment for £849 was taken. I received an e-mail today stating unfortunatly my lens was in part of a shipment that had been lost and the £849 was refunded into my account. Now i know that no shipment has been lost and its a pure matter of they put the wrong price on their web site. Do they have to honour this price by law? I know that if something is priced wrong in a shop then they have to honour it until they can get the correct price up.
thanks for any advice
Rob
ps the website is "igadjet.co.uk"

Comments

• arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 August 2011 at 9:21PM
    Options
    Depends on their terms and conditions. Most companies are wise enough to state a contract is formed between buyer and seller upon dispatch on goods, in which case they can cancel at anytime up until that point. Others form the contract upon order acceptance, however have clauses in their terms allowing them to cancel orders in case of errors in pricing or product details.

So basically, its a safe assumption you have no rights.

What company is it out of curiosity?

Also, in a shop, if a product is incorrectly price they do NOT have to honour it. When you go to the counter to make your offer to purchase, if they realise a mistake they are well within their rights to refuse the sale.

It is only if they was intentionally misleading consumers they could get into trouble.

Read here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3277262
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    You thought you were getting a bargain. Company realised and cancelled the order (lost shipment may be smoke and mirrors, but you can't prove it). Company refunded your purchase price. You're not out of pocket, so you're back in the same position as before the order.

Nothing you can do but shrug and say "oh well - nearly got a bargain". :)
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You havent lost out, seems its an error thats been made and its been noticed.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    styles66 wrote: »
    I know that if something is priced wrong in a shop then they have to honour it until they can get the correct price up.

This isn't correct. They can refuse to sell you the item.

In terms of your particular problem, the contract is not deemed to have been completed until (usually) despatch of the goods. I assume you've not yet received your lens, in which case, they can cancel your order, refund you the money and re-advertise at the correct price.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's a draft FAQ in progress on this thread:- Helpful links ... Suggestions please

Specifically from [post=46532555]this post[/post]

Any suggestions for changes and additions gratefully accepted :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    Added my (only) thought on your new FAQ post, it's a good one and covers the OPs question well.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Added my (only) thought on your new FAQ post, it's a good one and covers the OPs question well.

Thought noted and acted upon :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • styles66_2
    Options
    Hi
    thanks all for the info.just checked their terms and conditions and it does basically say the the order is not legally binding until the item is dispatched.Oh well..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure