First Direct Logistics Limited

I don't know if this is a scam or not but I have a strong feeling that it is and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this company:-

I have just received a card through my letterbox saying that there is a delivery for me. The reason that I think this is a scam is because:
a) the card would appear to have been posted though the mail as it has my full name/address on the front and a 2nd class frank stamp
b) The package wasn't delivered because "we need instructions from you" is ticked on the card.

However, the number to call is a freephone one 08000720723. There is also a website: w w w.f i r s t d i r e c t l o g i s t i c s . c o m (no spaces) but this looks very basic. My feeling is that this is one of those scams where they turn up to deliver the parcel and then say you have to pay before they can hand over the package. If you pay, you then find that the package contains something of less value than the amount you paid, rubbish or nothing at all.

Does anyone have any specific experience with this company?

Replies

• gyzmogyzmo Forumite
    624 Posts
    I'm sure I have seen this somewhere - Capquest or something? They basically operate a rather shady outfit - quick to threaten bailiffs if you don't pay up for something or other. I believe that they are under investigation down south by the police, OFT and tradings Standards.

Whatever you do, don't collect the parcel or give them any of your details. Contact you Trading Standards dept for them to look into and to add to their dossier of evidence. but do not get involved with this company!!!
    Don't bother trying to sue me - I've got no money!
  • TPTranTPTran Forumite
    4 Posts
    Urgh, unfortunately I received a card. It seemed very suspicious, but I decided to call anyway (have a few sisters at the same address,same initials )and could easily have been for them.
    Even though I have got problems with debtors and stuff, couldn't find anything on the internet so I stupidly called early in the morning, was on hold for ages, the guy who answer didn't even mention the company! He asked me for my mobile number in case the delivery needed to be signed for! I gave the details and immediately regretted it.

I don't believe the way in which they got these details were fair, I was completely tricked. The "package" was actually a letter HFO about debt management and the envelope had "first direct logistics" printed on. So they are not an actual courier/postal company.

Anyway, long story short, every since I called and gave my mobile, I have non-stopped calls by two of my debtors, Barclaycard and Eversheds on behalf Egg card. I no longer live at home, but they continue to hound my parent's home number.
  • RadoJoRadoJo Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Although it sounds like this company go about their business in a dishonest way, I am sure it would make more sense to contact people to whom you owe money rather than blaming First Direct - unless they are passing on incorrect information or chasing people for debts which aren't theirs, then it seems they are just a sneakier form of debt collection.

The police can use 'underhand' tactics to catch criminals, and it seems that this is a similar ploy. I agree that obtaining your details in such a deceptive way shoudn't be allowed, but for people who have a genuine debt which they are trying to avoid this might be the only way some companies can recoup their losses rather than pass on higher costs to their other customers.

If this is not the case, then I apologise - this is just my opinion based on limited knowledge of the situation...
  • TPTranTPTran Forumite
    4 Posts
    Fortunately I still have my First Direct Logistic "missed package" card and I've noticed a very curious thing. The reference no for the "package" is the same number as the HFO services account number. So I do believe these "companies" are associated with each other on a very close level, and have indeed obtained my details on false pretences.

At the moment, I am about to send a letter regarding the amount of phone calls, my parents have to endure. I have outlined that I would prefer to be only contacted by written correspondence and that once they have confirmed this in writing, I will then proceed dealing with repayment.

One of the reasons I've neglected these debts, is that I do not agree with the amount owed (added charges, etc). The debts have since been passed on, but is there anyway of reducing these debts, before I proceed with a repayment plan?
  • TPTranTPTran Forumite
    4 Posts
    Even though, its too late for me. I think if you search companies house on the web and select wbcheck or go to http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/
    you can search a company and they will tell you what kind of company there are. Which is very handy if you are in doubt about company's reputation. I search First Direct Logistics Ltd and they come up with this:

FIRST DIRECT LOGISTICS LIMITED
    KINGS PARADE
    LOWER COOMBE STREET
    CROYDON
    SURREY CR0 1AA
    Company No. 05580262

Company Type: Private Limited Company
    Nature of Business (SIC(03)):
    7487 - Other business activities

Whereas, PinkExpress ( a known courier company) clearly states the kind of business it deals with. Hope that helps.
  • TPTranTPTran Forumite
    4 Posts
    And HFO services came up with this.

Name & Registered Office:
    HFO SERVICES LIMITED
    KINGS PARADE
    LOWER COOMBE STREET
    CROYDON
    SURREY CR0 1AA
    Company No. 05120067

Date of Incorporation: 05/05/2004

Country of Origin: United Kingdom
    Company Type: Private Limited Company
    Nature of Business (SIC(03)):
    7487 - Other business activities

Both companies are registered at the same address, which has confirmed my earlier suspicions. I'm glad that through my mistake I am able to stop both of these companies duping any more people.
  • changkrachangkra Forumite
    635 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    TPTran wrote: »
    Urgh, unfortunately I received a card. It seemed very suspicious, but I decided to call anyway (have a few sisters at the same address,same initials )and could easily have been for them.
    Even though I have got problems with debtors and stuff, couldn't find anything on the internet so I stupidly called early in the morning, was on hold for ages, the guy who answer didn't even mention the company! He asked me for my mobile number in case the delivery needed to be signed for! I gave the details and immediately regretted it.

I don't believe the way in which they got these details were fair, I was completely tricked. The "package" was actually a letter HFO about debt management and the envelope had "first direct logistics" printed on. So they are not an actual courier/postal company.

Anyway, long story short, every since I called and gave my mobile, I have non-stopped calls by two of my debtors, Barclay card and Ever sheds on behalf Egg card. I no longer live at home, but they continue to hound my parent's home number.

I have had to change my phone number a few times due to abusive calls, I now have a service from BT called choose to refuse. It is expensive and cost approx £7 a quarter but i can block up to 10 numbers from getting through to my phone. For me it's worth every penny and i wouldn't be without it and nor have I had to change my phone number for 3 years now. Your parents may wish to consider this. As for your mobile number if you really cannot change it then only answer to calls that the number is displayed and the numbers that you know, thats if you can, or is your mobile a works phone? There are a number of DCA which operate like this which is against the rules set down by the OFT but because no one complains or even knows who to complain to they are getting away with it. They should NOT be phoning daily or excessively. If you look at the Watchdog web site you will find some info on there which gives the body to complain to or search this board as it was discussed on here approx 1 month ago (Feb). Don't allow them to hassle you, just put the phone down and walk away and come back in 15 mins and then hang up, take control from them. Parasites such s these company's should all be shut down.
  • changkrachangkra Forumite
    635 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    TPTran wrote: »
    Fortunately I still have my First Direct Logistic "missed package" card and I've noticed a very curious thing. The reference no for the "package" is the same number as the HFO services account number. So I do believe these "companies" are associated with each other on a very close level, and have indeed obtained my details on false pretences.

At the moment, I am about to send a letter regarding the amount of phone calls, my parents have to endure. I have outlined that I would prefer to be only contacted by written correspondence and that once they have confirmed this in writing, I will then proceed dealing with repayment.

One of the reasons I've neglected these debts, is that I do not agree with the amount owed (added charges, etc). The debts have since been passed on, but is there anyway of reducing these debts, before I proceed with a repayment plan?

Check on the Debt free board but I'm sure that if a debt is in dispute it has to be frozen of all charges and has not to be sold on to a DCA. As for reducing the debts you need to make sure they have your signed credit agreement and do not acknowledge any debt. Or you could give then a full and final settlement offer, they will usually ask for around 80% but some have been know to push it down to around 30% but you really need tot post this on the debt free board where the debt nerds :rotfl: will have all the information instantly.
  • Gemma84_3Gemma84_3 Forumite
    311 Posts
    Oh no, i wish i had seen this topic earlier.

Recieved a card today, and i gave them my mobile number - thinking it was actually a real delivery firm.

I'm paying off all my debts, nearly all paid off actually, so cant understand why they are writing to me?

Anyone got any ideas on what i could do?

Many Thanks
  • To reiterate the many, I wish I had seen this before I called them back.

Acting on the spur of the moment I called these people, fortunately I did give a fictitious home telephone number, although I did call on my mobile, so far so good, I've had no called on this.

Once I had read up on the activities of the company I called them back and have told them under no circumstances are they to deliver anything to my house. If this happens, I will immediately call the police and press charges for trespass onto my property. Basically I've been very rude on the phone with them, I also have no intention of being polite if anybody does turn up to deliver this package. I do not owe any debts that would be passed over to them from any companies, so I consider them an intrusion.

Advice would be, don't give them the time of day, as mentioned on other postings, put the phone down, walk away then hang-up. If you can, get a telephone number block on your phone. Don't let them intimidate you and above all else take control of the situation, they don't like that. If you get nervous on the phone, ask someone else to make the call for you.
    Oh and if you keep getting put into queues, use a mobile and call this number it gets you through straight away.
    800 072 0723

Good luck - I await their visit with excited anticipation.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides