Appliances Online offering "lifetime warranty"

Options

Comments

• qbazdz
    qbazdz Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    True, I never take any of these, but just wondered if anyone had problems or good experiences with this 'warranty'.
  • BertieUK
    BertieUK Posts: 1,701 Forumite
    Options
    AO is in my view are a very worthy company to purchase from, we have bought many white goods from them with no worries, and their value for money is never in question.

I would say that they can offer these good deals because it could be said that the prices that they sell to the customer, are being subsidised by people who take out these extended warranties.

If you payed that amount over 7 years that would amount to just around £500.

Regards
    Bob
  • BertieUK
    BertieUK Posts: 1,701 Forumite
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    If you want to waste £66.04 a year, then go ahead,
    Ever wondered why such insurance scams are always quoted based on the weekly amount? Because then it seems like small change only.

As you say, peace of mind forever for as little as 20p per day.

Regards
    Bob
  • artbaron
    artbaron Posts: 7,285 Forumite
    Options
    I just bought from them, with a future delivery so I can't yet comment on service, and got one of these phone calls earlier. I found it to be very devious and I can imagine that someone can be lulled into taking out insurance without knowing. Indeed, I almost gave them my card details as it was early morning (for me) and I wasn't fully with it.

After talking about the product and my order, and the delivery booking, the woman then talked about a lifetime replacement guarantee. All through this spiel she never mentioned any cost (phrases such as "all our products come with...") so obviously I thought this was too good to be true. The price, which she only mentioned right at the end as she was (she believed) closing the deal, turned out to be about £6 per month. She didn't ask whether I wanted to take it up so I just acknowledged that I'd heard what she'd said. She then asked to "confirm" my bank details, making it sound like she'd finished talking about the guarantee and was referring to the order and asking for these details as some sort of security check. When I became suspicious and asked for clarification I was told it was for the monthly payment. I explained I hadn't consented to any agreement to which I was told no problem, DD would not start for a month and I could cancel at any point if I decided not to go ahead.

Needless to say I didn't give my bank details or take up the offer, not just because it represented poor value for money when manufacturer's guarantee and SOGA rights are taken into account, but also because of the underhand selling method.
  • welshcookie1966
    Options
    I agree with everything that has been said, I absolutely would recommend Appliances Online, I just ordered over 1,370 worth of kitchen appliances and I cannot fault their prices or customer service but I also received one of these 'checking on your order=selling you protection policy' phone calls...I also had to make a point of asking if by allowing them to send me the 'details' i was actually agreeing to this. It is a shame that companies haven't learned anything from PPI, luckily my payments would have ended up as over 20pm and I would have noticed that, but 5/6 pounds a month? probably not.
  • Mr.Boy
    Mr.Boy Posts: 189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ormus wrote: »
    a lifetime warranty from a large well known name such as bosch might mean summat.

a lifetime warranty from a no name online company set up last month means nowt.

AO isn't a no-name company. They are massive - didn't they buy out one of the main highstreet retailers?

I was offered this too and am a bit dubious. A lifetime new-for-old guarantee is interesting, if it really means you will literally never have to buy another washer (in our case). We just bought a nice Samsung for £600 and at £1.50/week that's 400 weeks or just about 8 years before we pay the same again. Which is probably about what we might hope it to last for... so on balance it's slightly more expensive (obviously, it's just insurance and they make a profit) but you remove your personal risk.

Given that we chose the Samsung specifically as it comes with a 5-year manufacturer's warranty (and a 10 year warranty on the motor), unlike most which come with 2, it's probably not worth it.

I'd advise others to exercise good financial sense and set aside the £2/week yourself as part of your budget.
  • kwatt
    kwatt Posts: 711 Forumite
    Options
    Do you really think that on even a £600 washing machine that they make maybe £50-100 on at best that they will seriously offer you a lifetime of free washing machines or anything else for that matter?

Methinks you might be served well by carefully reading the T&Cs as I'd bet it isn't what you think it is.

K.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. Its what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
  • growingirl
    Options
    i have been offered this on a tumble dryer at 2.99 per month, i see it as the tumble dryer cost £180, so if my tumble dryer lasts less than 5 years i win, if it lasts longer then i will be out of pocket, but will not have the expense of a new machine? seems like a resonable deal to me. but i will obvs check the small print.
  • tired_dad
    tired_dad Posts: 631 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Great company. Just had a freezer delivered in no time from ordering. Declined the insurance as I dont see the point of insuring something that costs less that 4 trips to the petrol pump.
  • wobblie
    Options
    Ok, so I should have gone with my gut reaction and declined to agree to the extended warranty when I received a phone call following my purchases with AO.com but I was caught on the hop in an awkward situation and as I was told I could cancel it at anytime I thought I will just cancel it later. Now I have decided to cancel it I'm not sure how to do this as I have not received anything about the policy yet. I assume that once my items have been delivered next week I should get something through about the extended warranty and some sort of cancellation document. Does anyone know if this is the case or do I need to look out for the direct debit going out (which I will do anyway). I can't find any info on their website. I wish I had just gone with my gut!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure