Forum Home » Praise, Vent & Warnings

NAME AND SHAME. Restaurant service charges - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

NAME AND SHAME. Restaurant service charges

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
227 replies 112.9K views

Replies

• I think people who work in this type of job work very hard. I would tip if I received good service. I know it is part of there job to provide good customer service but some go out of there way to help and assist. If they go the extra mile then they deserve to be rewarded
    TIGGER :j
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    20.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    atotori wrote:
    Taking the time to challenge and debunk the things flamers say tends to be a waste of energy and detract from the general meaningful honest discussion, because they just delight in retorting with even more disrespectful sweeping comments. Personally I'm just going to ignore shiller supreme's posts.
    :T :T ... although now that you have commented on that pratts posting how can you say you ignored it ? :D:D I agree that they are just a 'troll' and not worthy of comment.

Ivan
    Ivan has left the building ... but reserves the right of reply!
    Use PM to keep in touch
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    20.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I very rarely tip anyone. Not because I'm mean but because I can't afford to. If I get my haircut I'm made to feel guilty if I don't tip but what they don't realise is it's taken me 3 months to get the money together to get my hair cut in the first place. Restaurants are the same, although this really is a luxury and very rare.
    I would love to tip but I just can't afford it. Then I feel like a tightwad and people look at me like I have 2 heads!
    What do I do?
    I think lady_noluck has raised a very interesting point here. Personally I just consider the tip to be part of the charge (assuming good service) but can understand that in some cases there are people who going to a restaurant is very much a luxury. I don't think you should have to feel like a "tightwad" (strange expression!) but even if you could leave £1 it is something.

Strangely enough I have never felt the urge to tip my barber (Kimosabi Running Water) although I do know that my mother always buys hers a decent Christmas gift (not sure if she tips though). I remember when you used to always tip the paper boy, the bin men and the post man ... this does not appear to be the case any more.

I agree with all the posters who do not like the tipping culture ... I hate it, but accept that in certain places it is considered the norm and will therefore adhere to those 'rules'. We holiday a lot in America and it really is getting to be a joke ... In America I have actually seen tip jars beside check-out girls and in some other weird places. The worst example is the stevedores ... as soon as you park the car someone comes up and puts your cases onto a trolley which they then push across the road (expected $1 per case) ... these are then transferred to another trolley that is taken into the building (expected $1 per case) ... once through security someone else will try to take your cases (expected $1 per case) ... I could buy a new set of bloody suitcases for less than I am tipping these guys.

Ivan
    Ivan has left the building ... but reserves the right of reply!
    Use PM to keep in touch
  • Robg_2Robg_2 Forumite
    38 posts
    Apologies if this has been mentioned before.

But, by deleting the 12-12.5% service charge and ignoring the 'extra tip' box on the bill, surely this is the best way forward anyway. By doing this you're not incurring further interest on your credit card, if thats how you pay for your meals.
    If you eat out once a week or more (which I'm sure some people can afford to - not me)! then you'll save money on your c/c interest.
    And as suggested previously, pay for service received accordingly, in cash.
  • jellyheadjellyhead Forumite
    21.6K posts
    maybe we're just not posh enough but i don't think i've ever eaten anywhere where a service charge was actually added to the bill, lol! i pay the hairdresser by cheque, i never seem to have cash on me. i know she gets paid more than i do anyway. i did tip when they did my hair for my wedding though, that's different to routine haircuts. i haven't ever tipped a taxi driver, wasn't aware i was expected to? i've asked them to keep the change if it's a small amount. when people say to keep the change in maccy d's the money goes into the charity box, not into the pockets of the staff (not that they're allowed to wear trousers with pockets in case they steal lol!). as far as i'm aware the staff everywhere we eat are on at least minimum wage and i wouldn't tip a shelf stacker or the person who goes up ladders to clean traffic lights, i certainly don't get tips for serving big macs so why should restaurants be any different? when i worked as a waitress we put the tips into a pot and shared them between all staff, most customers didn't leave tips though, we didn't expect them to. as a barmaid we were often told to buy a drink for ourselves, but weren't allowed to drink so we were supposed to politely decline. if i thought the staff were relying on tips, such as in another country where there was no minimum wage etc. then i'd tip but not in england.
    52% tight
  • Ah, but I use a cashback credit card for my restaurant bills, and because I pay off the balance in full each month, I'm effectively getting a discount of 1% or whatever percentage that particular card offers me...
  • P.S. Can anyone tell me why my website link is coming out in black, and everyone else's links are coming out in the correct pretty shade of blue? I presume that the black means that I haven't set up the link properly, but I don't know why. I'm crap at techie stuff. Your help would be gratefully received.

URL removed by MSE Controller2
  • lynneinjapanlynneinjapan Forumite
    400 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Nobody ever tips in Japan either. Makes things so much easier - and the service is usually excellent! (Kind of ironic that the poster who has a Japanese-sounding name and a geisha image for an avatar is big on tipping!)

I usually go by the 10% rule - less if the service is very poor, a bit more if it's particularly good. But even that can be unfair: if the meal costs £8 a head (common in the balti restaurants near where I live) then that's only a tip of £1 or so, whereas the default tip for a £25 meal would work out at £2.50. I suppose there tend to be more "behind-the-scenes" people to share the tips between in the more expensive places though...
  • rchrisprchrisp Forumite
    191 posts
    P.S. Can anyone tell me why my http://www.portalpublishing.com is coming out in black, and everyone else's links are coming out in the correct pretty shade of blue? I presume that the black means that I haven't set up the link properly, but I don't know why. I'm crap at techie stuff. Your help would be gratefully received.

you need to put html tags around it like you have above.

rachael
    Payment a day challenge:

Capital One Credit Card - £7.55/£1306.56

• My personal opinion is that I have no problem tipping resturant staff for good service, I don't expect them to add how much they think I should be tipping onto the bill as its my choice if I leave it.

I remember a few months ago, me and three friends went to a well known 'resturant' and when we got there the server sat us at a two person table, despite there being plently of four person tables around and made us stand and wait til they got extra chairs. Then before we ordered the waiter asked us if we would hurry up as it was near 5 and they were expecting bigger parties to eat there. So we ordered drinks and they were just set in the corner not infront of people as you'd expect, then when we ordered food they brought out the wrong meal for one person, but as it wasn't that different we took it anyway. Then we were brought out a drink that we never ordered and told it was a 'free refill' but we didn't drink it anyway. Then when we asked for the bill we were asked if we wanted a service charge added to the bill to which we said no. Then when we got the bill they had overcharged us by about £3. So we told the waiter and he said it would take to much bother to change it and he asked us to pay it anyway, but we refused and made him change it. Then after we paid, we weren't going to leave a tip, but in the end we left him a £2 coin as a tip, which I thought was pretty good when the bill was less than £20. But as we were walking away the waiter stopped us and asked if we'd left the right tip as it was less than the 'expected' 25% to which one of the people with me had enough and actually took the £2 from the table and we left
    Titch :)