Forum Home» Praise, Vent & Warnings

NAME AND SHAME. Restaurant service charges - Page 23

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

NAME AND SHAME. Restaurant service charges

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
227 replies 112.9K views
1171819202123»

Replies

• LadyDeeLadyDee Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gaston wrote: »
    Ah to be taken back to previous days when I was in Australia. Tipping is just not the done thing in Australia. NO ONE expects it so no one does. You might very occasionally tip if you had some exceptional service where someone went completely out of their way for you. :T

When I was back there on holiday a few years ago with some English friends, I actively encouraged them not to tip. I would hate to see the restaurant industry in Australia go into the tipping spiral. Once one place starts doing it, others will catch on and then we'd see restaurants starting to exploit service staff by paying less and telling them that they should rely on tips more.

When I was on holiday in Australia 2 years ago my daughter and I went to the hairdressers. I'm not a great tipper, but I thought the hairdresser did a really great job on cutting mine and my daughter's hair that I offered a tip. He was shocked! As he had two little kiddies in the shop I suggested he buy them a little gift from me, this he accepted
  • If something along the lines of "a 10% discretionary service charge will be added to the bill" appears on the menu, am I correct in presuming that "discretionary"=" optional"?
  • NBLondonNBLondon Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would always take that to mean the customer uses their discretion as to whether to pay it or not (or increase or decrease it). Given the tales in this thread (and other places) my discretion usually tells me to decline it and then tip in cash if I feel it appropriate. I occasionally leave it on at local restaurants where I know the policy is that it will go to the servers - it's "tronc"ed between them since anyone can serve any table.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • NBLondon wrote: »
    I would always take that to mean the customer uses their discretion as to whether to pay it or not (or increase or decrease it). Given the tales in this thread (and other places) my discretion usually tells me to decline it and then tip in cash if I feel it appropriate. I occasionally leave it on at local restaurants where I know the policy is that it will go to the servers - it's "tronc"ed between them since anyone can serve any table.

That's how I interpreted it as well.
    I'm due to go to a " bib gourmand" rated restaurant fairly shortly, and having had a look at their menu, it does include the stated phrase.
    I have no intention on paying a 10% "tip" simply because its been added to my bill, I'd much rather decide if the service I receive warrants a tip at all, and if so, decide the level of that tip myself.
  • MendryMendry Forumite
    72 posts
    Energy Saving Champion
    Worked in the industry for many years before and during university (was a mature student).
    I always remove service charge and tip in cash. Never had a server which was unhappy about this, wish I could say the same about the managers who have to "accept" my service charge removal. I do it everywhere, regardless if "frowned upon" or not.
    Debt Free Wannabe (Since 12/15 - Target 06/17). Overdraft ([STRIKE]£1250[/STRIKE]/£1000) Personal Loan ([STRIKE]£615.70 [/STRIKE]£0) Credit Card ([STRIKE]£432.03[/STRIKE] £2064.74)
    SPC 10: #549! SPC9: £86.46 / Make £10 a day: 2016: 536.74
  • Flat_EricFlat_Eric Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ate at the Windsor Castle pub in Kensington, London recently. The receipt of the previous guests had been left on the table so I was forewarned that service charge would get added to our food bill including drinks. I also noted from tripadvisor afterwards that those customers who went to the bar to buy their drinks but had it added to their tab had the service charge applied to those drinks as well

• unholyangelunholyangel Forumite
    15.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh this practice shouldn't still be happening.

The CCRs prohibits traders from making additional charges unless they obtain the consumers express consent before the contract is entered into - they cannot infer consent from a consumer not changing a default option.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.