ISAs and Debts...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
1 reply 531 views
franpianofranpiano Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
My fiancee is Dutch but has lived in England with me for several years. He has accrued a student debt in Holland which he is now getting letters about repaying. He is planning to pay this back slowly but would also like to start saving some money here in England. He has no savings to speak of as yet. I already have an ISA of my own so he could not just save his money in my name. We just wondered if it would be wise for him to open an ISA account or would he have to declare this to his student debt? If it is tax free does this mean he doesn't have to declare it? Or is there a better way he can start saving without it forcing him to pay his student debt back too quickly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• edinburgheredinburgher Forumite
    12.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not too sure that this is the best forum to ask about Dutch student debts.

That said, you would think that savings being tax free wouldn't magically exempt them from being classed for income/capital reasons - wouldn't this be having your cake and eating it, too? (In that you'd get dual benefits of tax avoidance and repayment avoidance).
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals