Can Anglian Water forcibly install a meter

Options
neilmcl
neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
My Dad got a letter from Anglian Water last week stating that a surveyor will visist today to see about installing a water meter at his property. He has no desire to have a meter fitted.

Can they insist that a meter is fitted, what rights does my Dad have as the property owner? Can he refuse to let the surveyor on to the property?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    All water companies can insist on a meter where there has been a change of account holder - and they can go back a long while, or if they have reason to think he is using a lot of water, swimming pool, pond etc.

Also in certain areas they are allowed to fit a meter regardless of the owners wishes and length of occupation.

Your father can of course refuse to let him survey the property, but they can refuse to supply him with water i.e. cut off the supply.

Also water companies have the right to access the property if there is a problem with water supply or sewers.

Is there a specific reason why your father doesn't want a meter?
  • ankspon
    ankspon Posts: 2,371 Forumite
    Options
    What is his current usage,we are saving a fortune with a meter.
  • BackOnTrack
    Options
    I have just had a look at Anglian Waters Water Resource Managment Plan. In this they have included a compulsory metering programme. This document when approved by the Secretary of State gives the water company the legal powers to install meters irrespective of a customers wishes. I am assuming your father is having a meter fitted as part of this programme so he will likely have no way to prevent a meter being installed unless the survey shows the property is not suitable to be metered.
    There's no sense crying over every mistake.
    You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you ask them to fit a meter, you have the option of returning to the old "rates" system of charging within 12 months.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    If you ask them to fit a meter, you have the option of returning to the old "rates" system of charging within 12 months.

With Anglian it is 24 months(12 months for most companies):

http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/household/your-account/water-meters/choosing/

However I doubt that would apply if address is part of the compulsory metering program or account holder has changed.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Its not a compulsory meter AW , its part of an extended metering program called Pay As you flow, if your dad read the leaflets he would have known and can refuse if he wishes

More details here:
    http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/household/your-account/water-meters/Pay-as-you-flow.aspx

"We're currently fitting water meters in selected neighbourhoods across the region. Find out if Pay-as-you-flow is coming to your neighbourhood.

There's three easy steps to Pay-as-you-flow:

Survey - We'll find the best place for your free water meter.
    Install - If possible, we'll fit the meter outside your property.
    Choose - We'll give you an information pack to help you decide.
    "
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are 2 of us in a 3 bed semi and my metred water bill for a whole year is £240
    How much has he paid in charges for the last 12 months.

Our normlal bill was nearly half as much again, we're saving a fortune.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fitting a meter does not mean that you will necessarily be switched to metered billing.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    you will probally find the bill goes down with a meter
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • dshart
    dshart Posts: 439 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Water meters may give you savings initially, but I think that in the long term once majority of people are on water meters you will find that they slowly push up the price.

If everyone was on a meter and saving water the bills would drop but the water companies still need to make their profits so they will make you pay more for using less water.

Don't get me wrong I am all for people reducing their water consumption and not wasting what is a valuable resource, but having to pay more for using less is wrong especially when millions of gallons of water are lost daily through leaks and poor distribution networks when the water companies are making huge profits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure