PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Options

Comments

• TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cloo wrote: »

Still astonished at just how little you get for your money in London £350K for that maisonette? :eek: That would cost about £40K round our way...but getting a job would be a lot harder :(
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Still astonished at just how little you get for your money in London £350K for that maisonette? :eek: That would cost about £40K round our way...but getting a job would be a lot harder :(
    It's an almost identical layout to the one I lived in as a child in London, before my parents saw the light (or The Bomb!) and moved to a rambling, Queen Anne wreck in Devon.

That's the London with the fantastic lifestyle that still draws people magnetically.

The wreck, now two quite smart properties, last sold in its entirety for £300k, in or around 2015.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,765 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Still astonished at just how little you get for your money in London £350K for that maisonette? :eek:

Over here, you can buy the whole building (very similar size & layout) for £250K and get a large garden complete with air raid shelter.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rebs wrote: »
    One for those that like to be horrified at London prices - here's what 3/4 of a million will get you. At least the estate agent has the good grace to say it does need refurbishment :rotfl:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71649559.html?utm_content=v2-ealertspropertyimage&utm_medium=email&utm_source=emailupdates&utm_campaign=emailupdatesinstant&utm_term=buying&sc_id=28365724&onetime_FromEmail=true
    people in London must have more money than sense to buy this. Can imagine this appearing on a rouge landlords program in the future. This flat is more than the cost of 8 of my bungalow. Both 2 bedrooms both have own garden.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options

It is bonkers. We have a large 3 bed semi in a very nice, quiet area. If we were to sell up and move to London we might, if we're lucky, be able to afford a pokey 1 bed flat in a crime riddden hellhole.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is bonkers. We have a large 3 bed semi in a very nice, quiet area. If we were to sell up and move to London we might, if we're lucky, be able to afford a pokey 1 bed flat in a crime riddden hellhole.

The other way of looking at it is that outside London a pokey 1 bed flat in a crime ridden hellhole is only £30k :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Officer_Dibble
    Options
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62157429.html

All going well for the first few photos. Lucky Doug to have his own set of doors into the garden. A few concerns raised by the 2nd dining room in picture 9 (which should really be set for 13).

Bedroom picture 12?? Is the effective contraceptive statue available to the buyer by separate negotiation?
    4.7kWp (12 * Hyundai S395VG) facing more or less S + 3.6kW Growatt inverter + 6.5kWh Growatt battery. SE London/Kent. Fitted 03/22 £1,025/kW + battery £2495

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62157429.html

All going well for the first few photos. Lucky Doug to have his own set of doors into the garden. A few concerns raised by the 2nd dining room in picture 9 (which should really be set for 13).

Bedroom picture 12?? Is the effective contraceptive statue available to the buyer by separate negotiation?

Sort out the decor, and that could be a really nice house. However, I'd get rid of the door between the downstairs cloakroom and the sitting room, just leaving access from the hall, and I'd convert bedroom 5 into a dressing room/en-suite. When I win the lottery....
  • Officer_Dibble
    Options
    It'll be lovely, once it's been deconsecrated. I'm not sure how you get into Bedroom 5 at the moment. Either you have to float on clouds of incense, or there's a bit of landing missing from the floorplan.
    4.7kWp (12 * Hyundai S395VG) facing more or less S + 3.6kW Growatt inverter + 6.5kWh Growatt battery. SE London/Kent. Fitted 03/22 £1,025/kW + battery £2495

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure