PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Options

Comments

• Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    "Find this fab three bedroom first floor pad with balcony and oodles of storage. It's part of the High Trees estate circling off Tulse Hill and is a stone's throw from Brockwell park, Tulse Hill station and the south circular - you can't get a better location! The accommodation is well proportioned and well laid out.

A secure phone entry system allows you to screen your gentleman callers. Inside there's a lift or stairs to whisk you upward to the flat's first floor entrance. A large L shaped hall with two recessed storage cupboards greets you. Dead ahead you find the nicely sized reception which has a dual aspect and balcony access. There's a retro brick effect mantel and wooden ceiling panelling. Your kitchen comes next off the hall. It's got a tiled floor, four ring gas hob, oven and circular stainless steel sink. The mirrored splashback is super cool! The first of your double bedrooms shares the same aspect as the previous two rooms. You'll find fitted storage here. Your next two bedrooms face the far side of the building. They'll each comfortably fit double beds. Your bathroom completes the tour.

This is a good location just a couple of minutes from bountiful Brockwell Park with its rolling green expanse. The lido is a fab spot for a dip and there's a top notch gym too. You're within an easy walk of Tulse Hill mainline station (London Bridge and Blackfriars). Herne Hill station, offering services to Victoria and Blackfriars, is not far either. Up on Half Moon Lane you have some lovely shops and restaurants. Boozers abound too - we love the Florence and the Prince Regent. "

They sound like a class act.....
    :huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:
  • fluffpot
    fluffpot Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Options
    Ha ha, didn't even notice that first line.... Quite funny too as the EA likes to think they are quite up market. The Florence and Prince Regent are hardly what you'd call boozers - at weekends they abound with yummy mummy's and their kids
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What driveway? There's a parking area through double gate.

Why would you want to put a car in the dining area? That isn't a garage! It's an extension which opens onto a patio area.

I think the implication was that it looks like a converted garage, which was my first thought too.

However, Street View, she say, "No."
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience of the bi-fold doors shown in this one? I live in a similar locality and I've not considered installing them.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29986623.html?utm_content=ealertspropertyimage&utm_medium=email&utm_source=emailupdates&utm_campaign=emailupdates1day&utm_term=buying&sc_id=13384542&onetime_FromEmail=true

Lovely area, but given the proximity of farms and a stream (not mentioned), I'd imagine opening yourself up to insect life on this scale would be asking for big trouble.

(It's on Raddon Hill by the way, not by the postcode marker.)

No, but we are just considering installing some! :-)
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Strapped wrote: »
    No, but we are just considering installing some! :-)

If we ever install wide bi-fold doors on a conservatory, it wouldn't be open to the house like that one. The one we have now has doors at each end, and the amount of wildlife that comes through them is already huge. I'm not just talking insects here either.......;)
  • booksurr
    booksurr Posts: 3,700 Forumite
    Options
    To my ancient eyes it looks like a converted garage.
    Is fun now banned from this thread? :(
    I didn't expect anyone to take my remarks seriously.
    must admit a garage conversion is exactly what it looked to me too, then I saw the rest of the photos

considering its a thatched "cottage" with a front extension which is in keeping with the main building, I would love to know how much back hander they paid the council to get that excrescence through planning?

Or did they ?????????
  • Davesnave
    Options
    booksurr wrote: »
    considering its a thatched "cottage" with a front extension which is in keeping with the main building, I would love to know how much back hander they paid the council to get that excrescence through planning?

Or did they ?????????

You've checked what was there before? ;)
  • LisbonLaura
    LisbonLaura Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 June 2014 at 10:06AM
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    If we ever install wide bi-fold doors on a conservatory, it wouldn't be open to the house like that one. The one we have now has doors at each end, and the amount of wildlife that comes through them is already huge. I'm not just talking insects here either.......;)

Even a cat flap is risky if inner doors are not closed.
    Being presented with a fair-sized bat in your bedroom at 02:00 hours during a working week is not recommended.
    Blood dripping on your new carpet; cat miffed at the lack of gratitude & thus not cooperating with bat's removal..., & no, it wasn't funny at the time!:mad:

Other openings, such as windows also present problems.
    One bright Sunday summer morn a friend was cooking breakfast with adjacent window open. Cat appears on window ledge with mouse, sees what is in the frying pan & decides it wants the mouse done the same way as the bacon & eggs, so drops the mouse in the pan.

Bi-fold doors? I don't see a problem, unless you are near a safari park.
  • Upsidedown_Bear
    Upsidedown_Bear Posts: 18,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    booksurr wrote: »
    must admit a garage conversion is exactly what it looked to me too, then I saw the rest of the photos

Or did they ?????????
    They replaced a lean to of similar footprint. Next door also have a similar extension.

Personally I think it ruins the look of the cottage.
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A secure phone entry system allows you to screen your gentleman callers. Inside there's a lift or stairs to whisk you upward to the flat's first floor entrance.

Is it a flat for a prostitute?! Mind you, one look at that lounge and I can almost hear the echoes of Barry White...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport