PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Options

Comments

• jimpix12
    jimpix12 Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    See if you can read the description of this without wanting to punch something or someone:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45848756.html

If you yearn to be as self-sufficient as possible then you will adore all the raised vegetable beds, and the fruit cages full of so many and such a wonderful variety of fruits bushes. Your friends and neighbours will love the presents of fruit when you can eat no more or when the conserve expert in you runs out of jam jars! Let your children grow strong on a hearty diet of fresh eggs from the chicken coop, and we can all marvel at your latest cake creations.

Oh, shut up.
    "The only man who makes money from a gold rush is the one selling the shovels..."
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    spunko2010 wrote: »
    See if you can read the description of this without wanting to punch something or someone:

I liked:

As dusk approaches a beautiful cottage awaits. The warmth of the Rayburn, the comfort of the living room, the aroma of something wonderful on the dining room table…

As someone who lives in a rural property with many of the features mentioned, I know the reality goes more like this:

'It's dark, cold and raining heavily as you lock up the hens. Trudging through 6" of mud towards the house, totally knackered after strimming half an acre, you suddenly realise you forgot cut any logs up for tonight's fire.

You quickly chain saw a barrow load and head towards the house, only to find it in darkness as OH hasn't come home from that village hall meeting yet, the cat is yowling to be fed, the Rayburn has gone out and the water is coming through that bloody porch roof again....' :mad:
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    funkin wrote: »
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30109071.html

Check the floorplan for the size of the smallest bedroom. I always thought a bedroom should actually be large enough to fit a bed. At least the house is under 700k though!

We once viewed a 'two bed' flat where the second 'bedroom' could just fit a desk. And there was nowhere to sit more than two people down at a table (which there was in most over flats we'd seen on for less money). I remember asking the agent whether this flat wasn't a tad optimistically priced (300k, 7 years ago) but he didn't seem to think so!
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Liberace's UK bolt-hole maybe?! Gross. :)
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I liked:

As dusk approaches a beautiful cottage awaits. The warmth of the Rayburn, the comfort of the living room, the aroma of something wonderful on the dining room table…

As someone who lives in a rural property with many of the features mentioned, I know the reality goes more like this:

'It's dark, cold and raining heavily as you lock up the hens. Trudging through 6" of mud towards the house, totally knackered after strimming half an acre, you suddenly realise you forgot cut any logs up for tonight's fire.

You quickly chain saw a barrow load and head towards the house, only to find it in darkness as OH hasn't come home from that village hall meeting yet, the cat is yowling to be fed, the Rayburn has gone out and the water is coming through that bloody porch roof again....' :mad:

Obviously a frustrated author whose self-published novel was shunned by even close family members. So now he's an EA, taking his revenge on the world that spurned him... :D
  • Upsidedown_Bear
    Upsidedown_Bear Posts: 18,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Soran wrote: »
    I think I may have found the smallest property currently on sale in the UK!
    Not even sure if it has electricity!
    http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/32810807?search_identifier=af7ebca5bcabd9cff4370adf705cc935
    For a beach hut that one is a good size.

This one is smaller :)
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43297822.html
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pic 9 - was trying to think of a witty comment but am lost for words!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45836927.html

Is Chapel Allerton a better area than Chapel Town? Seems the property is firmly in the latter but EA uses former as location.
  • Mardle
    Mardle Posts: 518 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    spunko2010 wrote: »

If you yearn to be as self-sufficient as possible then you will adore all the raised vegetable beds, and the fruit cages full of so many and such a wonderful variety of fruits bushes. Your friends and neighbours will love the presents of fruit when you can eat no more or when the conserve expert in you runs out of jam jars! Let your children grow strong on a hearty diet of fresh eggs from the chicken coop, and we can all marvel at your latest cake creations.

Oh, shut up.

I now know why there's no photo. It's actually the end house of a block of four. It's not difficult to find on street view if you look for the "void below the master bedroom" It's an extension over the drive! I'm disappointed now :(
  • StumpyPumpy
    StumpyPumpy Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Is Chapel Allerton a better area than Chapel Town? Seems the property is firmly in the latter but EA uses former as location.
    According to the maps, Northbrook St is adjacent to Chapel Allerton Park (The other side of the road from the allotments) so it is probably a passable identification of the location.

"Chapeltown" itself doesn't exist in the eyes of the Land Registry or the Post Office, though it is there, obviously on the EA's map and for the locals. Its actual location changes depending on who you talk to. Some say it is the whole of the LS7 postcode, some say it is a much smaller area. But in any event, if I were selling a house there, I wouldn't want it described as being in an area known in the past for rioting and prostitution if I could get away with it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_riots_in_Leeds

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Chapel A is better than Chapeltown!

I lived in Leeds and IMO CA ends after the CA hospital. The area between there and the bathroom store (plumb Centre) is CT.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure