MSE News: Holidays 4 U collapses - your travel rights

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
56 replies 9.2K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Thousands of holidaymakers have had their summer get-away ruined after the collapse of the Sussex-based tour operator ..."

Replies

• Does anyone have any idea how to contact onur air direct? Or know where's best to look for flights from gatwick to dalaman in a fortnight?

• edited 3 August 2011 at 5:35PM
    stinky84stinky84 Forumite
    39 posts
    edited 3 August 2011 at 5:35PM
    You need to give the exact dates out and back and number of passengers then perhaps someone will help look for you.

Here is the email for sales at Onur [EMAIL="sales@onurair.com.tr"][email protected][/EMAIL] you could try emailing them and see if they would resell you your seats that you had already booked with Holidays 4U
  • Thanks for your reply!

There are five of us - we were booked to fly out on Monday 15th Aug and back two weeks later, but can be a bit flexible on dates as we're staying with my dad who lives out there - we just need to be back before the kids go back to school on 5th September
  • linjanlinjan Forumite
    3 posts
    For those needing rooms in turkey, I believe that hotels 4 u.com may have availablilty, and these are part of the thomas cook group
  • scruffbag1scruffbag1 Forumite
    8 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    My partner and I were supposed to be flying from Gatwick to Dalaman on the 15th too. Don't know what to do now...should I look for new flights? Will we have to pay for these? Will we lose the price of the hotel if we decide not to go? So many questions....helpline not answering:(
  • linjanlinjan Forumite
    3 posts
    the info on MSE states that package holidays will get refund from CAA and directs to their website ,under ATOL, not sure how soon you get the refund so not sure if you would have to pay out to rebook before you get refund
  • scruffbag1scruffbag1 Forumite
    8 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    linjan wrote: »
    the info on MSE states that package holidays will get refund from CAA and directs to their website ,under ATOL, not sure how soon you get the refund so not sure if you would have to pay out to rebook before you get refund

Thanks. Thing is, I booked through Teletext holidays with a company called A1 Travel and paid them for flights, transfers and hotel. I received a letter from them this evening saying that the flights were booked through Holidays4U and would no longer be operating. I rang the helpline but no answer.

I'm wondering where I stand now with regards to getting a refund on the whole thing, or will they refuse to refund the cost of the hotel, leaving us with the choice of either finding new flights and paying out significantly more, or refunding the flights but losing the cost of the hotel. Anyone know what my rights are?
  • luciluci Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some people have still not been paid out for Goldtrail going bust in July last year, others are just receiving their cheques this month.
  • bagand96bagand96 Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The official advice, and ATOL claim form, can be found here: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1052/20110803Holidays4UClaimForm.pdf

Note, if you paid Holidays4U by Credit Card, you must claim from your card provider, NOT the CAA.
  • bagand96bagand96 Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. Thing is, I booked through Teletext holidays with a company called A1 Travel and paid them for flights, transfers and hotel. I received a letter from them this evening saying that the flights were booked through Holidays4U and would no longer be operating. I rang the helpline but no answer.

I'm wondering where I stand now with regards to getting a refund on the whole thing, or will they refuse to refund the cost of the hotel, leaving us with the choice of either finding new flights and paying out significantly more, or refunding the flights but losing the cost of the hotel. Anyone know what my rights are?

Looking at the terms and conditions on A1 travel's website, they are not a tour operator and do not sell package holidays. Therefore your suspiscion is probably correct, your hotel and transfer bookings still stand. If you cannot find alternative flights, you will have to cancel your hotel and transfer bookings, which may be subject to cancellation fees, or may be non refundable altogether. This is something you will have to speak to A1 Travel about.

Your flight money is safe, you will get that back. A1 Travel may offer to fnd you alternative flights, but you can also find your own, and just use your existing hotel/transfer arrangement with them.
    Does anyone have any idea how to contact onur air direct?

http://www.onurair.com/default_eng.aspx Although I am not sure what contacting them do. Your Holidays4U flight is gone and you need to claim that money back from the ATOL scheme. Onur Air will not, and are not obliged to refund you or take you. They also won't sell you a replacement, they operate charter flights only to the UK, selling no seats direct. Chances are the whole aircraft was operating for H4U so the flight won't even operate.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support