Car - Home/Contents Insurance for 50+

Hi all,

I understand that cheaper annual premium rates are available if you are 50+ years old.

I have read the observations of others on the subject of cheaper Car and Home-Contents insurance premiums and it would appear that there is still no real substitute for the, "Ring Around" :(

However, someone out there may just know which insurance companies offer the best 50+ deals?

Insert by Martin

The start point for over 50s insurance is exactly the same as for everyone else - which is using the right websites to find the base price in about 20 minutes. Once that is done see if you can focus the price down any cheaper due to age related reductions.

Do remember though most insurers will automatically incorporate age related pricing anyway.

Please read

Car Insurance Cost Cutting
Home Insurance Cost Cutting
;)Do It To Them Before They Do It To You ;)

Replies

• SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

Which? Magazine do a review of car and houshold insurance policies every year, and usually recommend a few "best buys" for people of differing ages & circumstances.
    This year their Best Buys for car insurance in the "driver aged over 50 + spouse" were:

Axa Direct, CIS, Hastings Direct, Liverpool Victoria/Bank of Scotland & Tesco for low risk (groups 1-7)

Age Concern, AXA Direct, CIS, Hastings Direct & Tesco for medium risk (groups 8-13)

Age Concern, Hastings Direct, Natwest/Halifax , Norwich Union Direct & Tesco for high risk (groups 14-20)

Its still worth ringing around more than one of the companies mentioned, but at least you know you can limit it to just a few & still be fairly confident you are getting a good deal.

The Which magazine is only available by subscription, but you may be able to see the relevent copies at your local library if you are interested.

Hope this helps!

Gill
  • FastflysFastflys Forumite
    344 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hi gill_g

Thanks for your interesting information. I will certainly include the above in my future searches.
  • abbeysteadabbeystead Forumite
    17 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I have always found that Moneysupermarket.co.uk gives the best information on car-Home/content Insurance. Also if you looking for holiday insurance,especially if you're over 65 they will direct you in the right direction to the best offers.
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Two quick points on Moneysupermarket. First if you are going to use it - then if you do it via any of the links in the Best Buy section - a contribution is made to the upkeep of the site.

Secondly, it is a rough quote system. The way i suggest you use it - is ignore the actual prices it gives you and concentrate on who it notes are the top five players for your circumstances. Then go and get direct quotes from them

martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • abbeysteadabbeystead Forumite
    17 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks for that info Martin. Will take your advice in future.

(Its getting past your bedtime now, don't you think you should have a rest?)
    344 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi gill-g & Others

I am now well into obtaining motor insurance quotes - You may find the following an interesting read:

With regard to those insurance companies listed by "Which" magazine as best buys for car insurance for drivers 50+.  Only three offered cheaper premiums than my current company.  None of these were the cheapest.

When obtaining quotes I made sure that all information I supplied was identical.  All quotes are for comprehensive cover, maximum no claims discount [protected], courtesy car, legal protection and each has a claims excess of £150.

I have a Rover 620 sli 2.0ltr petrol automatic 4 door saloon. [Group 12]

Quotes obtained:

Esure £259.93   :D
    AXA Direct £264.27 [“Which” recommended]
    Admiral £267.75
    Tesco £286.65 [“Which” recommended]
    Peoples Choice £286.68 + £50 Argos gift voucher [updated 05/09/03]
    Bell Direct £292.95
    Halifax £298.18 [“Which” recommended]
    More > [current company] £299.35 [NCD protected for life]

Most expensive quote so far – Zurich £497.67   :o:o

All other quotes obtained were in excess of £300.00.
    CIS, Hastings Direct, Liverpool/Victoria, Age Concern, Norwich Union Direct, Saga, Churchill, Direct Line, Prudential.

Of course a lot depends on age, gender, postcode, driving record and usage but I thought my findings may give those of you looking to renew your car insurance in the near future, food for thought.   :);)
  • Forget about Combined Precision Components site being bad, the Which Online site is really rubbish. Already canceled within 1 hour of joining.
  • alaredalared Forumite
    4K Posts
    When searching for a buildings/contents quote for an elderly relative I was surprised to see the dearest quote was from SAGA closely followed by AGE CONCERN!!!!!!!!
    She ended up with AA insurance.
    344 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi All

I have just received a standard letter from Peoples Choice insurance services informing me that if I confirm a motor insurance policy with them before the 30th September, they will send me a free £50 Argos voucher.

Their telephone number is: 0800-919814

Thought this may be of interest.
    344 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi All

I have just received my renewal notice from More > £353.66. :(

More > internet quote [28/08/03] £299.35. :D

If using the same insurance company for a further year, don’t renew, take up their internet offer instead it’s usually cheaper. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides