PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Letting out a property - furnished or unfurnished ?

Options
13»

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And if it's not an HMO there's no requirement to PAT test anything.
  • rexmedorum
    Options
    I would say flexibility definately helps a lot.
    We have had quite a few offers to rent places 'if LL takes out that extra bed/wardrobe/cupboard' rejected. Now we are part-furnished: whitegoods, bed, sofa. The rest is easy to buy and load in a van when we move again (which I hope won't be any time soon)
  • aless02
    aless02 Posts: 5,119 Forumite
    edited 8 September 2011 at 1:54PM
    Options
    Just to disagree, we are a family of 3 and have always lived in in furnished rentals. More for practical reasons that we haven't been able to afford to buy furniture! :o When we moved out of London, we found furnished accom to be pretty rare, which is unfortunate as quite of lot of people DO need it.
    top 2013 wins: iPad, £50 dental care, £50 sportswear, £50 Nectar GC, £300 B&Q GC; jewellery, Bumbo, 12xPringles, 2xDiesel EDT, £25 Morrisons, £50 Loch Fyne

would like to win a holiday, please!!
    :xmassmile Mummy to Finn - 12/09; Micah - 08/12! :j
  • saayinla
    saayinla Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I recently just got a place to rent and requested for the land lord to remove her appliances like fridge freezer, cooker and washing machine to which she decline.
    These are the Options I want to give her:
    Option 1
    I will be viewing the property again maybe by weekend and will try and get the landlady to reason along the line that if she removed her appliances she does not have to be liable for any repair cost should anything happen during my tenancy or

Option 2:

I can just ask her if I can buy her old appliances off her and put them on gumtree.

Option 3:

Sell her Appliances and buy her similar Items when my lease expires/when I am leaving.

Hope I am not asking for too much.

PS: I have over £1k worth of my own that I will rather use.
  • Blackdog
    Blackdog Posts: 459 Forumite
    Options
    saayinla wrote: »
    I recently just got a place to rent and requested for the land lord to remove her appliances like fridge freezer, cooker and washing machine to which she decline.
    These are the Options I want to give her:
    Option 1
    I will be viewing the property again maybe by weekend and will try and get the landlady to reason along the line that if she removed her appliances she does not have to be liable for any repair cost should anything happen during my tenancy or

Option 2:

I can just ask her if I can buy her old appliances off her and put them on gumtree.

Option 3:

Sell her Appliances and buy her similar Items when my lease expires/when I am leaving.

Hope I am not asking for too much.

PS: I have over £1k worth of my own that I will rather use.

Which option you choose you should get the LL consent. Do option 3 without her knowing could be a problem when you leave. I am sure with a little bit of common sense option 1 would be best for both of you.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Option 1 will mean she has to put herself out to store the items - possibly at cost or inconvenience. Plus the fact that they are not designed to be stored without use for long periods of time, so are likely to have repair issues when she tries to use them again.

Option 2 means she is left without any appliances and will have to buy new ones - at full cost - when you move out, having paid her only a second-hand rate for the existing ones.

Option 3 means she is left without any choice in what appliances you choose to lumber her with.

If she isn't desperate to have you as a T, I'd have thought she'll go for someone who is less trouble on this issue.
  • saayinla
    saayinla Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yorkie1 wrote: »
    Option 1 will mean she has to put herself out to store the items - possibly at cost or inconvenience. Plus the fact that they are not designed to be stored without use for long periods of time, so are likely to have repair issues when she tries to use them again.

Also saving her the cost of replacing any or all the 3 Items should there be a problem during my tenancy.
    Option 2 means she is left without any appliances and will have to buy new ones - at full cost - when you move out, having paid her only a second-hand rate for the existing ones.

She does not have to buy new ones and the ones currently installed had seen better days, I would be raising this issue if they were in generally good condition. Plus I happen to have close families who own rental apartment and they are wise enough to buy a £50 second hand off gumtree which have lasted more than 4 years without a fault.. (agreed may not always work out like this)

Option 3 means she is left without any choice in what appliances you choose to lumber her with.

If she isn't desperate to have you as a T, I'd have thought she'll go for someone who is less trouble on this issue.

THis will entirely be based on mutaal agreement as these are all options which is not meant to agree to anyway.

I have not been unfortuante enough to have had a bad LL and I wouldnt want to be at the mercy of one should anything goes wrong, I have a family which I have to consider too you see. All my appliances has extended warranty on them plus the capacity is also an issue for me, washing machine drum size, Fridge Freezer not been frost free etc...

Its up to her at the end of the day anyway.
  • saayinla
    Options
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but if a property was rented as Furnished and has kitchen appliances etc, you are not under any obligation to USE these Appliances are you?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure