PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Letting out a property - furnished or unfurnished ?

Options
Hello,

I have always let properties out as "furnished" in the past as I was advised by a family member that it made eviction easier.

Having read through the section 21 notices etc, it doesn't seem to make any difference if the house is furnished or not ?

Is there any benefits to furnished or unfurnished ? It seems to me that furnished is more of a risk because you are liable if the furniture isn't fire resistant etc etc ?

Comments

• bifold
    bifold Posts: 195 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2011 at 6:53PM
    Options
    Hello,

I have always let properties out as "furnished" in the past as I was advised by a family member that it made eviction easier.

Having read through the section 21 notices etc, it doesn't seem to make any difference if the house is furnished or not ?

Is there any benefits to furnished or unfurnished ? It seems to me that furnished is more of a risk because you are liable if the furniture isn't fire resistant etc etc ?
    I only let properties out unfurnished with only a cooker and fridge freezer,this keeps the upkeep costs down and in my area the rental is the same for furnished/unfurnished.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,632 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

err... what landlord would not ensure fire-regs complaint furniture.... (Sigh..)

Think three points...

a) Advertising it as furnished/unfurnished gives you a wider selection of prospective tenants, but can confuse some (if someone wants furnished a trip to IKEA....).
    b) Furnished allows 10% of rent as expense - easier accounting (perhaps...)
    c) Furnished - more bother wen probs with furnishings...

Cheers!
  • Lady_strange
    Lady_strange Posts: 173 Forumite
    Options
    I personally wouldn't rent a furnished property. That puts me off when looking for properties to rent.
  • Mind_the_Gap
    Mind_the_Gap Posts: 355 Forumite
    Options
    To some extent it will depend on your target tenants.

Students will always want furnished. A young couple/family looking to rent for a few years will probably prefer unfurnished. Young professionals may prefer partly-furnished.
  • Werdnal
    Werdnal Posts: 3,780 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have always let my flat unfurnished, and in 10 years have never had any problem getting tenants.

If unfurnished, you also get the benefit of up to 6 months council tax relief if you have voids in letting.

Remember, it is wise to PAT test any electrical appliances you supply.
  • Benji
    Benji Posts: 640 Forumite
    Options
    Werdnal wrote: »
    Remember, it is wise to PAT test any electrical appliances you supply.
    PAT only applies to 'portable' appliances - so fine if it's a toaster, irrelevant if it is a fridge or washing machine.
    Life should be a little nuts; otherwise it's just a bunch of Thursdays strung together.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello,

Grandad? The law on eviction differentiating furnished/unfurnished changed many years ago!

The most worrying aspect of your post is that
    a) you are clearly getting poor, out-of-date advice and
    b) you have clearly gone into letting property without learning how to do it.

You need to find some more reliable sources of information about your rights and obligations as a LL, about the sensible precautions to take etc.

And you need to make use of those sources to learn for yourself what is involved.

Start here and check out the links/sources at the bottom.
  • franklee
    franklee Posts: 3,867 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Surely it's a case of know your market. What tenants are you wanting to appeal to and what is it they want?

Family homes round here do better unfurnished. I would have thought the two bed flat market would too. However now many kitchens have fitted appliances I'd expect them to be provided as they are a pain to move and the slots come in varying sizes. If you're leaving standard with gaps for freestanding appliances then it's not so bad for the tenant to provide their own.

I skip any advertised as furnished or unfurnished as I've read too many cases where that's agent speak and the landlord turns out to be reluctant to remove and store their stuff.
  • thegirlintheattic
    Options
    I agree that it depends on your target market - furnished properties only really appeal to first-time renters and students, the vast majority of other tenants have their own furniture and want to keep it. You also losing people simply because they don't like your choice of furniture, and cut down on your expenses.

You might want to go half-way and provide white goods - but then you have to consider repair costs.
    Save £200 a month : [STRIKE]Oct[/STRIKE] Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
  • Matt1977
    Matt1977 Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    As a tenant I would always go for unfurnished - but with the white goods included.

I have come accross a lot of funished rentals that resemble the interior of a nursing home. I guess by the those who have inherited property but are not keen to sell in the current climate and don't know what to do with the furniture still inside. :D Like this reasonably priced one:

56746_tl0029_IMG_01_0000.jpg

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-34259393.html

I believe most tenants would prefer to use their own furniture anyway. I certainly would. It would be a damage limitation exercise in what landlords can deduct from the damage deposit after the tenancy ends as the furniture is not their property.
    Generation Rent
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport