IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

parking contravention

Options
mrnobody
mrnobody Posts: 6 Forumite
edited 29 July 2011 at 2:01AM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
A parking contravention enforcement notice was received :(
Ive read advice on the forum to 'ignore' anything from Civil Enforcement Ltd.
However Im worried sick, feel sick & cant eat nor sleep :(
Received this 'parking fine letter' stating I was parked in a supermarket carpark & must pay £90 or £45 if I pay within 14 days.

The thing is, the car was parked/ car park was used legitimately i.e used the store & have receipts to prove. However because the car was there 20mins over there 90 minute rule (which isnt even signposted properly) the car was also having problems starting, so technically it was broken down. The driver was sitting in the car most of the time.
Anyway I've typed out an appeal letter, because it states in small print: 'representations' in writing only to be made within 10 days
Anyway fortunately I was searching the net & found this great site. Fortunately I thought it better to get proof of posting, so havent posted the appeal letter. Ive read 'IGNORE' 'IGNORE' but on the 'parking contravention' its got 'We have photographic evidence of this incident' .' If you require a copy of this evidence, please send a cheque for £10 to the address shown below, stating PCN number on the back.
Now what should I do?? I feel really blessed that I found this site, & hopefully just in time.:money:
P.S I went in the store to see where I stand, the store in question said they cant do anything about it. Im thinking I will avoid shopping there from now on.

Comments

• funkycoldribena
    Options
    I got a ticket from a PPC last week and Im completely ignoring it.Guess what?-I sleep like a baby,eat well and dont feel in the slightest bit sick.
    You're working yourself into a stupor for nothing.Look at the stickies,see what letters are coming and relax.
    Went shoplifting at the Disneystore today.

Got a huge Buzz out of it.
  • mrnobody
    Options
    Thanks funkycoldribena (nice tagname) Ive read a few of the stickies & posts but I didnt see any info on the 'CCTV / we have photographic evidence ' bits.
  • funkycoldribena
    funkycoldribena Posts: 788 Forumite
    edited 29 July 2011 at 2:21AM
    Options
    Makes no difference,you could be Englebert Humperdink for all they know.
    Read the list at the top-shows you what letters to expect.
    With regards to your worrying,some people go out to get these tickets on purpose-hope that puts it in perspective.
    Went shoplifting at the Disneystore today.

Got a huge Buzz out of it.
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The all incriminating CCTV will be a picture of a car entering and leaving a car park. If you relax and digest the letter you will no doubt see that its aim is to intimidate you into believing it carries some authority.

What it actually means is we have made some silly rules up in this car park, we have conned the supermarket into thinking we will stop car park abuse. However what we are really going to do is charge customers for spending too long shopping. If you spend your weekly housekeeping in said supermarket, and take ten minutes too long then we will try to extort £45 from you!

By appealing you are encouraging them and they will believe you somehow admit to their authority! It is best to ignore them. The consequences are you will receive a list of letters meant to scare you, but which mean nothing. Then they will disappear and pester someone else.

Although you spoke to someone in the store, if it wasn't the manager then speak to them, or better still go to the head office. Tell them if its not cancelled then you will be spending your hard earned elsewhere.
  • bondy_lad
    bondy_lad Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    this is eacatly how they work, to frighten you that much it affects your health, you then fold and pay up,, its a total scam, not legally enforceable,, treat this like you do with junk mail from nigeria etc,, bin it, do not contact, do not reply, please try to chill, and settle down,,theres many a folk on here that wish these people would take us to court,, they will not,, because they know 100% they will lose,, do not be concerned by any of the threat o grams you recieve,, they wil threaten everything and do nothing,,just to get your money,, have a good read around the forum and,, what letters to expect,,,remember you have done nothing wrong ,please relax.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mrnobody wrote: »
    Thanks funkycoldribena (nice tagname) Ive read a few of the stickies & posts but I didnt see any info on the 'CCTV / we have photographic evidence ' bits.

Don't fret about it - Photo/CCTV "evidence" is actually at the bottom of the evidential food chain even in legit parking enforcement - All other evidence (TRO, Ticket, patrollers notes etc) would have to be present and correct before it was even considered - which would normally only be to clarify any minor technical issues.

However in the context of private parking, photo/video means nothing at all beyond being yet another tool to harass people. :)
  • mrnobody
    edited 29 July 2011 at 6:59PM
    Options
    Thanks guys for your advice & support. Ive been reading & reading (my eyes hurt) anyways on some sites i.e comsumeractiongroup
    I cant post the links as Im still a newbie here.

Anyway theyre advising to make contact at least once. Im thinking just sending a letter stating 'see you in court'..or something.

On pepipoo Ive seen some people are getting letters from a company that deals with local authorities & are using that reputation as a scare tactic (company called 'Newlyn' ) but Im not sure if its actual court action or just more scaring people into submission.

Also Ive read that the scammers involved in this injustice actually read what we write on forums so I really dont feel comfortable posting details of what I plan to do etc
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Please ignore that advice on CAG. It's best not to contact these clowns at all.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • DaveF327
    DaveF327 Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Keep hold of those receipts; they should help you sleep better at night knowing that you can legally prove that the landowner has suffered no loss.

Don't give the company a "bite" to encourage them to hound you further. That's all they will do. Don't send any letters, don't phone them, don't contact or acknowledge them in any way.

Pleasant dreams :)
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The problem with the CAG letter its a put up or shut up thing. It would probably work. However if it didn't you would need to have the confidence and the ability to take them on.

It is much easier to ignore them and if they want to, let them bring it on!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure