PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Rising Cost of Food

Options
Having forsaken my Eastenders, I am watching "The Rising cost of Food" on ITV1.

What an eyeopener.:eek::eek::eek:

Price hikes of 40, 50 and 60 percent on some items.....

in one year!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

OMG:eek::eek::eek:

;) Felines are my favourite ;)

Comments

• wifeforlife
    wifeforlife Posts: 2,734 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I know, it's really shocking! It was the wastage percentage that shocked me the most.

If I was less lazy I'd start to grow my own, might look into starting small steps though
  • lifebeginsat...
    Options
    I know, when I was doing my tesco online shop earlier today Icouldn't believe tesco own brand diet cola had gone up from 48p to 78 p , I can get at the local CO-OP for 69p so needless to day didn't order this, but !!!!!! with such an increase in percentage....its sooo scary.
    The most important things in life aren't things! ;)
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    There is an article in todays Daily Mail and the comments section everybody is up in arms on the cost of food. It's getting ridiculous. I went to Tescos today but only because they gave me a voucher for £7.00 off a £50.00 spend which I can do easily on things such as dog food. Other than that it's a bloody great rip off :mad:
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • parsonswife8
    parsonswife8 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    edited 21 July 2011 at 8:44PM
    Options
    It's butter and wheat and corn and ,meat and fish and...and...and..
    I blame a lot of this on trading in commodies/futures. The price is pushed up and some sod creams the profit and it is the man in the street who suffers.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

We are growing as much as we can in a postage stamp size garden and making blackberry, elderflower and plum wine, as well as jam.

Baking bread, buying the best bargains from the supermarkets etc.

When wages are not going up and people have lost their jobs, how the hell are you expected to cope with such steep food price rises in the span of a year?
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• erdd2
    erdd2 Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Options
    Rainy-Days wrote: »
    There is an article in todays Daily Mail and the comments section everybody is up in arms on the cost of food. It's getting ridiculous. I went to Tescos today but only because they gave me a voucher for £7.00 off a £50.00 spend which I can do easily on things such as dog food. Other than that it's a bloody great rip off :mad:

I only ever get £5 off £70 spend, anyone know if this is a gepgrapical or other issue?
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    Erdd2 it's seems to be when I miss a shop there for a couple of weeks. Today I got another £7.00 off a £50.00 voucher shop and another £12.00 off an £80.00 shop in the same churn out of vouchers. The £80.00 is not happening so that voucher went binwards - the other one I shall use again next week.

The lady on the tills told me that she has a few where they don't even generate a voucher! As I say I missed two weeks of shopping there so I am wondering if that could be it!
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • lifebeginsat...
    Options
    yeah, I searched for some vouchers but could only find off £50 and well, i was so short this week only spent £46 including delivery so thought f$k it ....but when I look at what I got for £40 its a tiny list, shocking and amazing in one.
    The most important things in life aren't things! ;)
  • sarahsarah
    sarahsarah Posts: 332 Forumite
    Options
    Was I the only one looking in the woman's fridge who was saying she has to go without food and noticing the ready made (rustlers or similar) burgers and cathedral city cheese?
  • HariboJunkie
    HariboJunkie Posts: 7,740 Forumite
    Options
    sarahsarah wrote: »
    Was I the only one looking in the woman's fridge who was saying she has to go without food and noticing the ready made (rustlers or similar) burgers and cathedral city cheese?

I daresay the ready made burgers are very cheap and the cheese is often on offer.

I'm still watching the programme here and nothing I didn't know already. Think it's opening OH's eyes a bit though. ;)
  • parsonswife8
    parsonswife8 Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    Options
    I've ended up playing Mr S and Mr T and Ocado, against each other tbh.

I load an order onto each and then leave it there, but don't check it out.

I often then receive an email with a discount offer. I order from the one who gives me the most money off offers and voucher codes/discount.

Empty the baskets on the others and then...guess what???????????

Offers from the others. :rotfl:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills