PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Is home made bread cheaper?

Options

Comments

• sunnyface
    sunnyface Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lazy_Liz wrote: »
    Just checked with Which? and they say that the average cost per loaf of the electricity for a breadmaker is 5p.

I make a version of the white loaf given in the recipes for my breadmaker with less salt and sugar but 3 tsb of oil (large loaf) this helps the bread keep a bit longer but I would say 3 days is the max. You can either make the smaller loaf or cut a large loaf in half and freeze it if this is too short a time for you.

I find the loaves I make are so much better than supermartket bread (even the more expensive kinds they offer)
    x post :beer:
    Proud to be dealing with my debts :j Total Unsecured Debt: [STRIKE]£47,157[/STRIKE] :eek: [STRIKE]now £42,010[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]now £39,943[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]now £36674[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]now £34434[/STRIKE] [STRIKE] £9766 getting there slowly :j
  • JoeyG
    JoeyG Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    easily cheaper! i would estimate it costs me about 45p per loaf (inc electricity)

I get a good 4 days out of a loaf, any left after that time gets sliced and frozen
  • sunnyface
    Options
    I'm interested in people's responses to this question too.
    Also, does it work out cheaper to knead it yourself and bake it in the oven or to buy a breadmaker and use it instead of the oven???
    I'm fairly certain the oven would work out at more than 5p :think:
    pinkmami wrote: »
    I bought a breadmaker at the start of the year - big mistake. Another gadget. I've tried countless recipies & it does not taste nice.

i prefer to go to Farm Foods & get 2 loaves of Hovis for £1.50.....I can fill my garage freezer with bread for £9.00! And it tastes nicer.
    Oh no!
    I'm really surprised - it could be the machine itself :question:
    Proud to be dealing with my debts :j Total Unsecured Debt: [STRIKE]£47,157[/STRIKE] :eek: [STRIKE]now £42,010[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]now £39,943[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]now £36674[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]now £34434[/STRIKE] [STRIKE] £9766 getting there slowly :j
  • sunnyface
    Options
    Enid wrote: »
    I think it also depends on your household situation. For me it would not be cost effective because I would not eat a whole loaf before it goes stale. Instead I buy very fresh bread and freeze in portions. I am not a big bread eater but I know if I made my own I would eat a lot more.

I guess if you live with a family of bread eaters then it would be cost effective. I have a wonderful choice of bought breads available in my local shops and whenever I have ventured into homemade I have been a little disappointed
    Good point :) - we are a family of 5 who all have sandwiches for lunch so no bread goes to waste.
    McKneff wrote: »
    In all honesty, i dont mind paying extra, Im an addict of nice bread.

It wouldnt be cheaper for us becuase I would just eat twice as much:D
    It's not just the deliciousness of it, but the thick slices ;)
  • Mrs_Chip
    Mrs_Chip Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Options
    We use the breadmaker (Panny, always turns out great bread) as the quality of our supermarket bread is rubbish. We have just started using Lidi white bread flour (60p or thereabouts for 1.5 kilo) and it make superb white bread, and is also nice mixed 50/50 with wholmeal (which Lidl don't do :().

So a white loaf costs us about 25 - 30p!
    Think big thoughts but relish small pleasures
  • sunnyface
    Options
    DdraigGoch wrote: »
    If you have to turn on an electric oven and only use if for one loaf of bread I have a distinct feeling that it really might not be worth it. I'm fortunate that I have a woodfired range which can be viewed as either free heating, when I'm using it to cook on, or free cooking if I'm using it to heat the room with, but I definitely wouldn't turn an electric oven on for one loaf, I'd fill the oven completely and freeze the bread, sliced, for later use.

Just my twopenn'orth.
    Jealous of your range :)
    eilidh_s wrote: »
    I always make at least two loaves and throw in some baking as well if I have the time. I find that with tweaking the recipe, using honey and a bit of olive oil I can get a good three days out of a loaf and a fourth day for toast! When I am by myself I will cut the loaves in half and freeze them. I'm sure I ate more bread when i first started baking it but I think I have my addiction under control now though!
    mmmmmmm baking.....
  • sunnyface
    Options
    JoeyG wrote: »
    easily cheaper! i would estimate it costs me about 45p per loaf (inc electricity)

I get a good 4 days out of a loaf, any left after that time gets sliced and frozen
    :D
    Mrs_Chip wrote: »
    We use the breadmaker (Panny, always turns out great bread) as the quality of our supermarket bread is rubbish. We have just started using Lidi white bread flour (60p or thereabouts for 1.5 kilo) and it make superb white bread, and is also nice mixed 50/50 with wholmeal (which Lidl don't do :().

So a white loaf costs us about 25 - 30p!
    Excellent tip - cheapest I'd found was Tesco for 85p :T
  • pinkmami
    pinkmami Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Options
    [QUOTE=

Oh no!
    I'm really surprised - it could be the machine itself :question:[/QUOTE]

I don't know what the problem is...its tastes too "yeasty"......bread dries oout to fast even though were a family of 5. I've given up on it.....only good thing was the nice smell!:rotfl:
  • Mrs_Chip
    Mrs_Chip Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Options
    We had a cheaper breadmaker (Hinari i think) before this one and the results were not brilliant (in fact quite horrid). However the Panasonic is very reliable and turns out fab bread. You have to follow the recipes carefully when you start, but once you get the hang you can start tweaking - for example the book recipe has miilk powder in it, but we don't use it any more. I dont' know what it is about the more expensive BMs, but they seem to be much better than the cheaper brands.
    Think big thoughts but relish small pleasures
  • lifebeginsat...
    Options
    I had one of the lower priced breadmakers and did not get a tasty loaf at all. Also, took bloomin ages. Anyway, it doesnt work anymore, (why is it still in my cupboard I ask myself?) mental note to bin it later.

Oven baked though, that's a whole different story, I suppose you could use the breadmaker for the kneading and then oven bake:idea:!

For me, I only bake bread/rolls very occasionally as I just cannot resist it fresh, warm from the oven, and smothered in butter. And that is a big no-no for my diet haha!
    The most important things in life aren't things! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport