Forum Home» Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning

Great 'MoneySaving city guides, part 2: Costa Del Sol' Hunt - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Great 'MoneySaving city guides, part 2: Costa Del Sol' Hunt

35 replies 19K views

Replies

• jackg99jackg99 Forumite
    2 posts
    for eating out go down the bonanza road and instead of turning right into bonanza square walk on around 15yards and on the left you will find a bar called the mooring its next to the paddington and oasis the meals are brilliant and very reasonable 2 large main courses and a couple of drinks can cost between 12 and 15 euros for the 2
    some places are selling beer at eu1.20 a pint the betting shop just before the mooring sells a pint of carlsburg for eu2
  • We have visited the Costa del Sol several times in recent years. Out top tips are
    Malaga
    Do not overlook this city which is easily accessible by bus and train. Malaga has something for everyone - modern upmarket shops, an interesting old town, magnificent cathedral, the Alcazaba (Moorish fortress) and castle (Castillo de Gibralfaro). A good way of exploring the city is the hop on/hop off tourist bus.
    Puerto Cabopino
    Situated roughly midway between Fuengirola and Marbella this can be reached by bus as well as car. Part of the area is a (very rare) unspoilt section of coast with a beautiful sandy beach. There is an attractive marina, smaller and more intimate than Puerto Banus, with a selection of reasonably priced restaurants.
    'Holiday Guide'
    This free newspaper is available from hotels, restaurants and bars. It is a great source of information about restaurants, bars, entertainment and the Costa del Sol generally.
  • edited 21 July 2011 at 1:36PM
    SusanSpainSusanSpain Forumite
    52 posts
    edited 21 July 2011 at 1:36PM
    Look out for the 'Menu del Dia' options at all restaurants. (Usually only available at 'lunchtime' - 1200hrs - 1600hrs)

Eg - Mandarin Chinese restaurant right on the seafront by Yaramar Hotel in Los Boliches. Eu4.95 for THREE COURSES! (This includes the option of an ice cream or a coffee for desert).
    The food is plenty!
    (NB Full menu prices in eve standard, so make sure you order before 4pm as they are very strict on this)

FUENGIROLA PORT (Eastern end near Linekars) - on corner on roundabout RED/WHITE cafe. Eu3.50 for plate of tapas. (Usual price of drinks now about Eu1.50 on coast, cheaper the further inland you go.)

Eu1.70? (long time since I used the service, but not expensive. This is price each way, you cannot buy a return ticket)..... bus from Fuengirola to pretty white washed mountain village of MIJAS PUEBLO (30 min ride, but only 7km away.) Stunning views of coast, very pretty and unspoiled traditional village. But do watch out for 'tourist prices' in the squares. However, this said, two cafes as you approach the bus station very resaonable as locals use them.

Tip - Coffee is cheaper if you have it in a glass (un vaso - 'Bahso') rather than a ceramic cup/saucer.
    Likewise, 'Un Cana or Tubo' (Canya, toobo) - a glass of beer is cheaper than the bottled variety.

!Buen Viaje! :)
  • kop_blade9 wrote: »
    Take a towel to the beach and lay on the sand. Sunbeds are 4 Euros each per day.

This is wrong on a day like today - just walked past the beach and at 32c you would fry just laying there on a towel. At least you would have to buy an umberella from somewhere like the Chinese shop (almost like UK pound shops but with more expensive goods in them).
    Lots of people walking about with burned bodies - look very sore but still they in the blazing sun without their shirts.:eek::eek::eek:
  • If you do make a day trip to Gibraltar you can buy your cigarettes there a lot cheaper than Spain - not been for a while but someone may know. Buy them from Morrisons as some of the shops on the main road have been know to sell fakes (I know - I was that person!!)
    Only 200 per person over the age of 18yrs and 1 litre of Spirits.
  • Cheap day tours from along the coast - Torremolenos to Estepona?
    Any of the hotels offer 3rd party coach tours.
    30 GBP upwards for guided tour.
    Take cheapest option - 8 quid? for return coach trip to Gib on the 'Shopping Special'
    (If you do want to do the tours on arrival - cable car etc.. you will have to pay extra. But you won't really have the time!)
    I.e 2.5 hrs each way as the coach stops along the coast.
  • edited 21 July 2011 at 4:51PM
    joaniemercjoaniemerc Forumite
    615 posts
    edited 21 July 2011 at 4:51PM
    going to benalmadena next week using a.2.b.transfers. return taxi transfer is only £49 for 4 people sharing, used the same company last year and they were very reliable, that works out at just over £6 per person each way

Anyone used the A2B Transfers shuttle bus - taxi is coming out at £78 for two of us, to and from Fuengirola in September?

Shuttle bus is £38 return for the two of us. I know the train is cheap but we still have to get from Fuengirola to our hotel which isn't walkable. But do the shuttle buses stop at loads of other hotels on the way? I don't mind a couple of stops?

TIA
  • What about getting a taxi from Fuengirola Railway Station to your Hotel - which one is it?
  • tingtongtingtong Forumite
    580 posts
    joaniemerc wrote: »
    Anyone used the A2B Transfers shuttle bus - taxi is coming out at £78 for two of us, to and from Fuengirola in September?

Shuttle bus is £38 return for the two of us. I know the train is cheap but we still have to get from Fuengirola to our hotel which isn't walkable. But do the shuttle buses stop at loads of other hotels on the way? I don't mind a couple of stops?

TIA

Try getting a quote from http://www.skybusspain.com/

We've just booked a return from AGP airport to Benalmadena for €50, in a taxi not a shared shuttle.
  • swoleyswoley Forumite
    1 posts
    Don't be afraid to use the local buses. I lived in Estepona for a few years and a found that a bus to Puerto Banus was under 2 Euros as opposed to 15 - 20 Euros in a Taxi. The bus route is straight up and down the whole coast, so once you get your bearings you'll find it pretty easy to get around the Costa del Sol on a budget :)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support