Teacher gifts x 10!! Ideas please

Replies

• hay77 wrote: »
    Hi all

I am a teacher in a primary school and one of the greatest gifts I received was a hand made thank you card that the child and parent had written in. The parent thanked me for working with her child and told me that she now enjoys maths. The child wrote about a particular part of the year that she had enjoyed. It made my day and I still have the card. It is the thought that counts, not the amount of money spent.

It is always these gifts that are appreciated most. A thank you note (especially from a parent rather than a child made to write it) is really valued. We very rarely get a thank you, and even more rarely, get told we have made a difference to somebody's child. This sort of thing would amke a teacher's year.

The nicest gift I've ever received from one of my pupils (apart from the clubbed together John Lewis vouchers!) was a miniature bottle of wine, mini box of chocs, bath salt sachet, tealight and a little handwritten poem explaining what stress or care each was a solution for. Absolutely fab, and not very expensive at all.
  • Guinea_2Guinea_2 Forumite
    505 Posts
    I am a primary school teacher and I would support the people who say that any child made gift is the best. Since becoming a teacher I have kept every single one of the hand made cards or gifts (as long as they've not been perishable as I've eaten those!!) The extra special ones are those that the children have written in with a little message and also the parent. A thank you goes a long way.
    Yes, I do understand that we are "just doing our jobs" but, like I say, a thank you goes a long way WHATEVER job you do.
    :love: Baby Bump born 4th March 2010! :kisses:
  • bylromarhabylromarha Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    My nicest present was a 4cm high cheap tatty little girl clay model thing chosen by the pupil as it was accompanied by a hand made card from my pupil and mum, thanking me for how much I'd cared for him through the year and really helped him realise he could achieve.

That boy started the year off throwing chairs and anything else he could lift at me and the other pupils, lashed out at anyone if he was in a bad mood, ran out of the classroom on a daily basis - you get the idea. I had Ofsted in June that academic year and the inspectors visiting my classroom asked which of the boys was the one with behavioural issues as it really was not obvious. :T

I loved that boy dearly and was so proud of him and the hard work he put into controlling his anger and behaviour. I didn't need the model as I'd have remembered him anyway, but that little girl has had pride of place on my bedroom window sill for the past 7 years.

So OP, most things will be appreciated, whatever you decide.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • ashaputashaput Forumite
    167 Posts
    Naide wrote: »
    At Christmas, I do bake a batch of cookies and take them to the office to thank the admin staff. At the end of the school year, my son's teachers are given a card and my seven-year-old writes a 'thank you' note. Why not get your little ones to draw or a paint a picture and you write a 'thank you' on the back? Teachers love the home-made stuff much more. Hope that helps!

Why would you want to give them a gift? I think that would depend on the reason or may be the occasion in giving gift. I am a teacher and definitely agree with Naide. Sometimes I like to take home some home made stuffs of my students. :p
  • tattycathtattycath Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    I'm with the don't bother brigade as well. They get thanks-it's called wages. I don't pay the postman anything either, because, to be honest he's rubbish and we often have to either post something next door that we've received in error or they have to deliver mail to us. Yes, it's nice to know we're appreciated but we all get paid for our jobs. I like to think i'm appreciated but I don't get gifts to show gratitude, i get paid wages.
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • plumpmouseplumpmouse Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    tattycath wrote: »
    I'm with the don't bother brigade as well. They get thanks-it's called wages. I don't pay the postman anything either, because, to be honest he's rubbish and we often have to either post something next door that we've received in error or they have to deliver mail to us. Yes, it's nice to know we're appreciated but we all get paid for our jobs. I like to think i'm appreciated but I don't get gifts to show gratitude, i get paid wages.

Just out of interest - do you ever tip anyone eg hairdresser, restaurant, taxi driver etc. Why do people find it acceptable to tip these people who are after all only doing their job and getting their wage for it but it is seen by some that teachers are undeserving?

A good teacher can make such a huge difference in a childs life! Without a good teacher society may be without other good teachers, good doctors, good anythings really. A good teacher inspires children and makes them fufil and realise their potiential. A good teacher invests a lot of time and energy into the things that are most precious in our lives - our children.

Do you really begrudge spending a few pound (or even just an hour of your time helping child to make a card) once or twice a year for someone who makes an enoromous difference to your children?

I do appreciate there are of course some teachers who aren't good at their jobs (as there are people in any profession) but I get so sick of teacher being slated for all they do. They are helping create the future generation.

P.s Tattycath the above isn't a rant at you. Just wondered if you tip anyone that is why I quote you
    Give me the boy until he's seven and i'll give you the man.
  • spiddy100spiddy100 Forumite
    582 Posts
    I'm another one who thinks that a good teacher is worth their weight in gold. Both my kids have had lovely teachers this year and I have seen them both grow in confidence and ability, it means so much to see them happy in the classroom and to hear the teachers talk warmly about them. I am genuinely grateful to them for what they've done and would like to express that to them.

I do struggle with what to get as I know that they get piles of cakes/choc etc which will go uneaten (esp DS1's teacher who is about a size 6!). In the past I've given wine (thinking even if they get loads they can either regift it or put it away and enjoy later in the year) but with 2 teachers and 3 TAs to buy for it gets expensive.

I'm definitely going to write to both teachers to say thank you for everything they've done, and hopefully the kids will deign to write something too. Just a question for the teachers among you though - if that came without a gift, would you secretly be thinking that we were a bit mean?
    That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest. Henry David Thoreau
  • evansmummyevansmummy Forumite
    303 Posts
    well there are definately two camps here aren't they?
    I feel my children's preschool teachers have been fantastic with my children and I apprieciate it so much which is why I feel I want to give them a token. It's certainly not one-upmanship with the other parents, I couldn't careless whether they are doing anything or not.

Handmade sounds like the general consensus so it's either that or a new Krispy Kreme store has opened close to us so I could pop down there and buy a dozen.
  • tattycathtattycath Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    plumpmouse wrote: »
    Just out of interest - do you ever tip anyone eg hairdresser, restaurant, taxi driver etc. Why do people find it acceptable to tip these people who are after all only doing their job and getting their wage for it but it is seen by some that teachers are undeserving?

A good teacher can make such a huge difference in a childs life! Without a good teacher society may be without other good teachers, good doctors, good anythings really. A good teacher inspires children and makes them fufil and realise their potiential. A good teacher invests a lot of time and energy into the things that are most precious in our lives - our children.

Do you really begrudge spending a few pound (or even just an hour of your time helping child to make a card) once or twice a year for someone who makes an enoromous difference to your children?

I do appreciate there are of course some teachers who aren't good at their jobs (as there are people in any profession) but I get so sick of teacher being slated for all they do. They are helping create the future generation.

P.s Tattycath the above isn't a rant at you. Just wondered if you tip anyone that is why I quote you

I don't begrudge helping any of my children to make cards. That's fine, but I don't go out of my way to spend money buying gifts for teachers.
    Times are tough at the moment and i can't afford to spend more money than i need to. I rarely go to the hairdressers-let alone tip them, the same with going out to eat-rare. I don't use taxis, i either go by bus or car or train-but not taxis.
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • plumpmouseplumpmouse Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    tattycath wrote: »
    I don't begrudge helping any of my children to make cards. That's fine, but I don't go out of my way to spend money buying gifts for teachers.
    Times are tough at the moment and i can't afford to spend more money than i need to. I rarely go to the hairdressers-let alone tip them, the same with going out to eat-rare. I don't use taxis, i either go by bus or car or train-but not taxis.

Like I said my post wasn't a rant at you at all. It was just your post that made me curious with regards to tipping other professions.

I certainly wasn't trying to imply that you begrudge spending the time with your kids to make something!
    Give me the boy until he's seven and i'll give you the man.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals