New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Orange and Vodafone hike pay as you go mobile costs

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
16 replies 3.5K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"From today some Orange PAYG customers will face price hikes and Vodafone customers will see increases from 14 July"

Replies

• PAYG Asda Sim Card is 6p a text message & 10p per minute (to landlines and other mobile networks)

PAYG Tesco Sim Card is 4p a text message & 8p per minute (to landlines and other mobile networks)
    The Daleks Reign Supreme, All Hail The Daleks!
  • WelshPaulWelshPaul Forumite
    466 posts
    Change network, simples!
  • vikingaerovikingaero Forumite
    10.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WelshPaul wrote: »
    Change network, simples!

Even the simple process of getting your PAC code and porting to a new PAYG provider is too much for some people. Inertia rules!
    The man without a signature.
  • AngelicAngelic Forumite
    2.5K posts
    I have an ASDA sim for the odd text/call as it's the cheapest and suits my needs (I don't have a life) . If people are too lazy to shop around than they will pay more and it easy changing networks if you are on PAYG.
    I was stuck with a contract phone a couple of years ago and had to wait 10 months before I was released.
  • dalek wrote: »
    PAYG Asda Sim Card is 6p a text message & 10p per minute (to landlines and other mobile networks)

PAYG Tesco Sim Card is 4p a text message & 8p per minute (to landlines and other mobile networks)

Good to see that my intended response for this thread has been covered on the first post :D .
    I wasn't aware that Tesco was a bit cheaper than Asda for this though.

I used to have a contract (with vodafone) but my usage plummeted so I reverted to PAYG (with Asda).
  • edited 3 July 2011 at 12:04PM
    YpaymoreYpaymore Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 July 2011 at 12:04PM
    Better still if you top online Vectone Mobile http://www.vectonemobile.co.uk/rates/standard/national-rates.aspx

is 2.5p a UK text message and 5p a minute to UK Landlines and Mobiles.

Plus there are other benefits like free Vectone To Vectone calls/texts

http://www.vectonemobile.co.uk/rates/standard/vectone-to-vectone.aspx

Port your existing number to them

http://www.vectonemobile.co.uk/offers/bonuses.aspx
  • cactusdustcactusdust Forumite
    424 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    There are enough people that will shrug it off and carry on paying these inflated prices- hence why these companies can get away with the price hikes.
  • blahblahdohblahblahdoh Forumite
    433 posts
    Angelic wrote: »
    I have an ASDA sim for the odd text/call as it's the cheapest and suits my needs (I don't have a life) . If people are too lazy to shop around than they will pay more and it easy changing networks if you are on PAYG.
    I was stuck with a contract phone a couple of years ago and had to wait 10 months before I was released.

ASDA used to be the cheapest until they hiked their rates about a month ago (see post #2). There are alternatives like Vectone, but some people think they are just short term deals and will also hike rates once enough people have switched.

Probably worth switching anyway: not much effort for a short term saving, and to annoy the hikers. In fact Topcashback site will even pay you 50p just for applying for a free Vectone SIM. Rude not to?
  • blahblahdohblahblahdoh Forumite
    433 posts
    Just noticed TopCashBack offer extremely generous deals on TOPUPS for Vectone too - looks great, but a clear sign of short term loss-leading, imo.

Anyone used them? Whats the network/coverage like?
  • grumblergrumbler Forumite
    53K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The coverage is the same as for t-mobile.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support