MSE News: Orange and Vodafone hike pay as you go mobile costs

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"From today some Orange PAYG customers will face price hikes and Vodafone customers will see increases from 14 July"

Comments

• dalek
    dalek Posts: 9,386 Forumite
    PAYG Asda Sim Card is 6p a text message & 10p per minute (to landlines and other mobile networks)

PAYG Tesco Sim Card is 4p a text message & 8p per minute (to landlines and other mobile networks)
    The Daleks Reign Supreme, All Hail The Daleks!
  • WelshPaul
    WelshPaul Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Change network, simples!
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    WelshPaul wrote: »
    Change network, simples!

Even the simple process of getting your PAC code and porting to a new PAYG provider is too much for some people. Inertia rules!
    The man without a signature.
  • Angelic
    Angelic Posts: 2,474 Forumite
    I have an ASDA sim for the odd text/call as it's the cheapest and suits my needs (I don't have a life) . If people are too lazy to shop around than they will pay more and it easy changing networks if you are on PAYG.
    I was stuck with a contract phone a couple of years ago and had to wait 10 months before I was released.
  • dalek wrote: »
    PAYG Asda Sim Card is 6p a text message & 10p per minute (to landlines and other mobile networks)

PAYG Tesco Sim Card is 4p a text message & 8p per minute (to landlines and other mobile networks)

Good to see that my intended response for this thread has been covered on the first post :D .
    I wasn't aware that Tesco was a bit cheaper than Asda for this though.

I used to have a contract (with vodafone) but my usage plummeted so I reverted to PAYG (with Asda).
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2011 at 12:04PM
    Better still if you top online Vectone Mobile http://www.vectonemobile.co.uk/rates/standard/national-rates.aspx

is 2.5p a UK text message and 5p a minute to UK Landlines and Mobiles.

Plus there are other benefits like free Vectone To Vectone calls/texts

http://www.vectonemobile.co.uk/rates/standard/vectone-to-vectone.aspx

Port your existing number to them

http://www.vectonemobile.co.uk/offers/bonuses.aspx
  • cactusdust
    cactusdust Posts: 427 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    There are enough people that will shrug it off and carry on paying these inflated prices- hence why these companies can get away with the price hikes.
  • blahblahdoh
    blahblahdoh Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Angelic wrote: »
    I have an ASDA sim for the odd text/call as it's the cheapest and suits my needs (I don't have a life) . If people are too lazy to shop around than they will pay more and it easy changing networks if you are on PAYG.
    I was stuck with a contract phone a couple of years ago and had to wait 10 months before I was released.

ASDA used to be the cheapest until they hiked their rates about a month ago (see post #2). There are alternatives like Vectone, but some people think they are just short term deals and will also hike rates once enough people have switched.

Probably worth switching anyway: not much effort for a short term saving, and to annoy the hikers. In fact Topcashback site will even pay you 50p just for applying for a free Vectone SIM. Rude not to?
  • blahblahdoh
    blahblahdoh Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just noticed TopCashBack offer extremely generous deals on TOPUPS for Vectone too - looks great, but a clear sign of short term loss-leading, imo.

Anyone used them? Whats the network/coverage like?
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    The coverage is the same as for t-mobile.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure