Collection in Person - Paypal vs Cash

Options

Comments

• hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    I would also only take cash, ebay rules or not about paypal, I would not put myself in a position where I am easily scammed.
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    Options
    I sold a PS3 collection only but he paid by Paypal, i wasn't happy with it so we agreed that he'd test it and leave feedback before leaving mine to see he'd collected it and was happy with it etc.
    Not sure if it'd have been accepted as proof if needed
  • Oliver14
    Oliver14 Posts: 5,878 Forumite
    Options
    I sold a PS3 collection only but he paid by Paypal, i wasn't happy with it so we agreed that he'd test it and leave feedback before leaving mine to see he'd collected it and was happy with it etc.
    Not sure if it'd have been accepted as proof if needed
    Paypal dont care about FB. You would have lost a claim for non receipt. For paypal the only thing that counts is online proof of delivery (eg RM tracking or courier tracking). Over £150 you need an online viewable signature.
    'The More I know about people the Better I like my Dog'
    Samuel Clemens
  • porto_bello
    porto_bello Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    Options
    sparx wrote: »
    So then, In summary, I could be screwed either way?!

In therory I am offering Paypal, just with the courier only option, alternatively they have the choice to collect in person and pay cash. Surely this wouldn't break 'the must offer Paypal' rule?
    Yes this is 'legal' - or at least I've received verbal assurance from ebay representatives that it is.

On my own listings, I offer paypal with a trackable shipping service. Within the listing description, I also state that I am happy to accept cash on collection.

However I highlight that if payment is to be by paypal, I must play by paypal's rules and provide a trackable method of delivery, so collection will not be possible.

If your buyers are honest and want to collect, they won't have a problem with paying cash and saving themselves a few quid... If ever I had a buyer who insisted on paying paypal and collecting, that certainly would start alarm bells ringing! :eek:
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing.
    ...If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    Groucho Marx
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hcb42 wrote: »
    I would also only take cash, ebay rules or not about paypal, I would not put myself in a position where I am easily scammed.

The problem is though that whilst no one can force you to sell you can really only do this once, as a neg, a non performing seller complaint and hammered stars will affect your ability to sell. You also get stuck with the FVfs, so best to have a better plan for limiting problems.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • macfly
    macfly Posts: 2,728 Forumite
    Options
    I read all these views constantly. I can only say I've accepted paypal and collection often with no problems. I also bought an electrical item from an ebay seller last month who offered collection and would only take paypal. Easier for them to keep track apparently. They have sales of 60k plus, so must have turned over more than 3 million on ebay.
  • soolin
    Options
    macfly wrote: »
    I read all these views constantly. I can only say I've accepted paypal and collection often with no problems. I also bought an electrical item from an ebay seller last month who offered collection and would only take paypal. Easier for them to keep track apparently. They have sales of 60k plus, so must have turned over more than 3 million on ebay.

macfly I have taken paypal as well on a collected item as I factor in the risks and I have had no problems at all. However, I only risk it for low end items and most of my collected items tend to be brought by enthusiasts so I am nto really in a field known for scammers.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • porto_bello
    porto_bello Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    edited 2 July 2011 at 9:39AM
    Options
    Paypal are quite clear about what evidence they require from a seller, if a buyer disputes the delivery of an item: Unless the seller can provide paypal with clear evidence of tracking and delivery from an accepted courier company, such as Parcelforce, paypal will back the buyer and the seller will lose the case.

So if a seller chooses to accept paypal, and allow the buyer to collect, the seller will automatically lose the case, if the buyer subsequently decides to make an 'item not received' claim. Thus, if a buyer wants to pick up an item, always ensure they pay by cash to avoid a potential scam. End of story.

Paying a seller via paypal, picking up and mounting non-receipt claim is a known tactic, used by con artists. They can also leapfrog from naive seller to naive seller, obtaining items for nothing, without fear of exposure, as no seller can leave negative feedback for buyer.

I learned about the 'pay via paypal, collect and scam the seller' scenario here on this very forum! Following the good advice to avoid it, I now only accept cash if the buyer wants to collect.

Why anyone would encourage any eBay seller take paypal payments and offer collection is a mystery, but their advice is clearly utterly worthless and best avoided.

Sparx, at the beginning of this thread, you already had a good understanding of the risks involved and how to avoid them - if a buyer wants to pick up, simply insist they bring cash or if they want to pay via paypal, insist that you post the item via a trackable service.
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing.
    ...If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    Groucho Marx
  • macfly
    macfly Posts: 2,728 Forumite
    Options
    Nobody is "encouraging" the OP. You only know about this scam by reading about it on here. Your advice is worse than useless, it's rumour.
    There are many sellers who have accepted paypal with collection and have had no bother, myself included. As in my post, I've bought from a powerseller who does it and they have had no problem.
    Your post is akin to "don't go out in the dark, there's a bogey man".
    Too many people give advice on subjects they have no experience of. They've just read about it.
  • soolin
    Options
    Paypal are quite clear about what evidence they require from a seller, if a buyer disputes the delivery of an item: Unless the seller can provide paypal with clear evidence of tracking and delivery from an accepted courier company, such as Parcelforce, paypal will back the buyer and the seller will lose the case.

So if a seller chooses to accept paypal, and allow the buyer to collect, the seller will automatically lose the case, if the buyer subsequently decides to make an 'item not received' claim. Thus, if a buyer wants to pick up an item, always ensure they pay by cash to avoid a potential scam. End of story.

Paying a seller via paypal, picking up and mounting non-receipt claim is a known tactic, used by con artists. They can also leapfrog from naive seller to naive seller, obtaining items for nothing, without fear of exposure, as no seller can leave negative feedback for buyer.

I learned about the 'pay via paypal, collect and scam the seller' scenario here on this very forum! Following the good advice to avoid it, I now only accept cash if the buyer wants to collect.

Why anyone would encourage any eBay seller take paypal payments and offer collection is a mystery, but their advice is clearly utterly worthless and best avoided.

Sparx, at the beginning of this thread, you already had a good understanding of the risks involved and how to avoid them - if a buyer wants to pick up, simply insist they bring cash or if they want to pay via paypal, insist that you post the item via a trackable service.

Some of us though take a more professional view that there are some acceptable risks , it might pay you to actually read what is being said. As I cannot insist on cash on collection I either risk my account by refusing to take paypal (and thus cost me thousands in lost profit) or I take the chance of being scammed. For low cost items in areas that are not usually scammed I will take the risk.

I don't use tracking anyway on my items under £46, so I assume you consider any advice I give as worthless in that conenction as well?

I'm sure macfly and I consider ourselves suitably chastised and will of course refrain from making common sense comments and allow your own comments, that can lead to account suspension to take precedence.

Some of us know the risks, I actually wrote the post about the paypal on collection scam which was posted earlier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure