Collection in Person - Paypal vs Cash

I'm in the process of selling a pushchair on ebay, I've offered collection by the winning bidder and courier if they wish this to be posted.

I seem to remember a while back, reading something on here that said it is better to take cash on collection, rather than a paypal payment first then collection.
This was (I think!) due to the risk of the buyer then opening a dispute to say they have paid for the item but not recieved it. Obviously, if they pay by paypal then collect there is no paper trail to protect me, or actual proof that they have recieved the item.

What's the best way to do it? I'm sure someone on here must have better knowledge than me!

Comments

• Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you use pay on collection, just type out a couple of receipts you both sign, one for youm one for the buyer...
  • sparx_2
    sparx_2 Posts: 21 Forumite
    That had crossed my mind, but my main concern is if they wish to pay by paypal and then collect, they could then say they hadn't recieved the item. Would, in the event of a dispute, paypal accept those reciepts as proof the item had indeed been given to the winning bidder?

I've just heard so many stories on here recently about things going wrong on ebay, I just want to keep myself right! Maybe I'm over-analysing the whole thing...
  • steveE2
    steveE2 Posts: 1,302
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    sparx wrote: »
    That had crossed my mind, but my main concern is if they wish to pay by paypal and then collect, they could then say they hadn't recieved the item. Would, in the event of a dispute, paypal accept those reciepts as proof the item had indeed been given to the winning bidder?

I've just heard so many stories on here recently about things going wrong on ebay, I just want to keep myself right! Maybe I'm over-analysing the whole thing...

No they would be as much use as a chocolate chinese teapot
  • Mrs_justjohn
    Mrs_justjohn Posts: 1,245 Forumite

No paypal would not accept that and you would lose any INR dispute

You have to offer paypal as an accepted method (ebay rules) but depending on the value of the item I would only actually take Cash on collection. Ebay rules or not I am not opening myself up to being scammed for a decent amount of money....LOL
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,031
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    The tips for new sellers post explains the paypal on collection scam

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1623183&highlight=tips+new+sellers

Postage requirements for full paypal protection are here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3146680
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sparx_2
    sparx_2 Posts: 21 Forumite
    So then, In summary, I could be screwed either way?!

In therory I am offering Paypal, just with the courier only option, alternatively they have the choice to collect in person and pay cash. Surely this wouldn't break 'the must offer Paypal' rule?
  • techspec
    techspec Posts: 4,464 Forumite

In therory I am offering Paypal, just with the courier only option, alternatively they have the choice to collect in person and pay cash. Surely this wouldn't break 'the must offer Paypal' rule?

Thats what i do - only had a problem once - but it worked out OK.

If they are coming to your house, there no reason not to bring cash - but i can understand why they want to pay with paypal (extra protectiion if its faulty, they can pay with a credit card etc).

But at the end if the day - its your item and stick to your guns if you want cash on collection - or tell them to pay for delivery.
  • Crowqueen
    Crowqueen Posts: 5,726 Forumite

As I read it, you'd need to offer them the choice of payment method. I'm not sure whether you can insist on sending the item by courier if Paypal is used as a payment method, as the buyer would be able to pay through Paypal but not pay the courier charge. There are legitimate reasons for a buyer to pay by Paypal and still want to collect, but it does leave open a lot of loopholes and I'd be thinking about whether I'd want to risk using eBay for this, particularly since buggies can be scam items (hard to believe I know, but it seems they and wargamining miniatures are two of the more likely categories where buyers scam more often than in other marketplaces).

If you are happy to accept cash on collection, and you are not going to lose bids by that sheer fact (your market will be restricted to local people) then since this is not an eBay-owned site, I'm free to suggest that Gumtree might be a safer bet. There most transactions are done face-to-face as a matter of routine.
    "Well, it's election year, Bill, we'd rather people didn't exercise common sense..." - Jed Bartlet, The West Wing, season 4

Am now Crowqueen, MRes (Law) - on to the PhD!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,031
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador

That should be OK as you can say it is a couriered item (and thus protect yourself against a scammer) but that you offer collection by prior arrangement. Then if someone does want to collect you should be able to insist on cash whislt keeping below ebays radar. You can't say though that you will only accept cash on collection.

Horrid as it may sound baby equipment is a highly scammed area, so listings it as a couriered item is a very good idea.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Crowqueen
    Crowqueen Posts: 5,726 Forumite
    edited 30 June 2011 at 10:03PM
    techspec wrote: »
    Thats what i do - only had a problem once - but it worked out OK.

If they are coming to your house, there no reason not to bring cash - but i can understand why they want to pay with paypal (extra protectiion if its faulty, they can pay with a credit card etc).

But at the end if the day - its your item and stick to your guns if you want cash on collection - or tell them to pay for delivery.
    Actually, you're right - with cash-on-collection, quite often people find that it's easier to walk away if the item is not-as-described or doesn't work on inspection if they haven't already committed money through Paypal. You're going to hate me for saying this ;), but that protects them quite a bit against sellers who don't pull their weight with their descriptions.

However, I'd pay for something like this through Paypal if it was a larger amount of money simply to avoid taking loads of cash to an unfamiliar place. I used to go on holiday with a lot of sterling in the bottom of my suitcase, but now find it more comfortable taking just my debit card, which gets me cash out of a hole-in-the-wall even as far afield as Belgrade.

For cheaper items, though, cash is more convenient. The issue is moot, though, as I don't buy or sell collection items online.

If you do proceed, and the buyer does insist on Paypal, be diplomatic whatever you decide. Don't tell them you suspect them of scamming to their face - you will probably get a neg and since they technically will have paid you won't be able to get it removed easily. Balance it more towards their side, suggesting they come and inspect the item first and then pay with cash if they think it's acceptable.
    "Well, it's election year, Bill, we'd rather people didn't exercise common sense..." - Jed Bartlet, The West Wing, season 4

Am now Crowqueen, MRes (Law) - on to the PhD!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure