PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Great 'things to do before you move house' Hunt

Comments

• Separate out the kettle, mugs, tea/coffee/softdrinks and maybe some biscuits into a separate bag/box and make sure that is packed last or at least easily accessible. You'll need it at the other end, or if using removal men they'll immediately want a cuppa on arrival!

For the cost of £3 a tesco value kettle is a decent backup option if you're DIY moving and doing several car loads between houses so need to leave the kettle available at the old house!
  • Buy a roll of masking tape or similar before you move, as you will undoubtedly pick up a piece of furniture at some point on which the drawers/doors will open while you're carrying it. Masking tape them shut before you lift it!
  • nakiwala123
    nakiwala123 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Here is one that i found on another thread that I found rather helpful.

'I gave the new owners a few sheets of Avery labels pre-printed with our new address to forward anything that fell "between the cracks" during the Royal Mail redirection. There was a surprising amount, as we'd forgotten to change all our magazine subscriptions. Also useful because you will get birthday cards and Christmas cards from people you don't often hear from long after you've moved and stopped the Royal Mail service. We could have just left our address, but the pre-printed labels hopefully made it really quick and easy .

I had the hoover and a box of cleaning products alongside the usual box of moving essentials (tea, kettle, mugs, loo paper, lightbulbs, dinner for the first night and so on) along with me in the car. It meant I could give the new place a quick once-over before all the heavy furniture was set down.

I boxed up our most precious sentimental things and gave them to a friend for safekeeping so they didn't get broken or go missing in the chaos of the move.

I wish I'd remembered to change my Amazon delivery details on one-click. My new parcels were delivered to my old address, duh. This was nearly as bad as my friend who moved from Liverpool to London and then realised she'd left her drycleaning behind, still in the shop!

I wish I'd packed a few complete changes of clothes so things weren't such a scramble the first few days, before I got the wardrobes sorted. If you were moving at this time of year, extra clothes for unseasonal weather might also be useful. '
  • nakiwala123
    Link to a similar thread that was started last year. I have actually printed the whole thread and added it to the folder of when I'm ready to sell.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=36196317#post36196317
  • nakiwala123
    I meant for I'm ready to buy!!
  • MrGumby
    MrGumby Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You probably spent ages deciding what height to position pictures, mirrors, wall lights, wall-mounted furniture, etc. Make notes for when you hang them in the new house.

Also, even if you're using professional removers, pack small things yourself into boxes (boxes that the removers can pack into bigger crates). Number the boxes and make an inventory, to make it easier to find things when you unpack.
  • MrGumby
    MrGumby Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    aloiseb wrote: »
    Sounds obvious to have a survey done. We really thought we had had a full survey on our 80 year old house, before we bought it, but it turned out that the building society giving us our mortgage had made a mistake :eek:and ticked the box for the Home Buyer's Survey only (the cheaper one).
    Yes, but you may well do better to commission a separate survey than rely on your mortgage valuer. Get quotes from several surveyors local to the property and seek references.

Also, if you can, accompany the surveyor and chat to him/her. You'll pick up all sorts of gems that they'll be happy to say in conversation but not put in a report.

In fact, if there's nothing much wrong with the house, they'll probably agree to reduce their fee substantially if you decide you don't want a written report. One caution on that option, though - you'll have difficulty getting any compensation out of them, if it turns out they missed something.
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    The past two house moves have been a nightmare. This time I've been given a year to declutter as we are downsizing. I'm making a fortune on eBay but it's only having a limited impact space-wise. I must get more ruthless or we'll be spending a fortune on removals including stuff still in boxes from the last house move (10 years ago!);)

I'll send my daughter round she's a master just throws everything into the charity shop bag and bans me from looking in!! Says I'd get it all out again! Probably true!
  • Thefunkygibbons
    Thefunkygibbons Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2011 at 12:00PM
    Make a list

There are so many things that you will forget and then wake up screaming in the middle of the night, "Where's the cat?"
  • nakiwala123
    Make a list

There are so many things that you will forget and then wake up screaming in the middle of the night, "Where's the cat?"

You have me giggling uncontrollably at work!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport