PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    uropachild, I think the only way to find out is to try your butcher for a small amount of meat. Our village butcher is excellent, he sells mostly local meat (can tell you which farm your meat came from), the shop is clean and he's reliable with orders; he's more expensive than mrt but I think he's worth it.

hope to see you join the challenge soon ;)

Jackie, I'm down to one large cupboard, plus several cabinets and still 2 crates to sort :o the CS will love me again next month :D I've never thought of offering to the school though, may do that this time
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • flower91today
    Options
    my no spending till friday hasnt worked my little boy is not very well and is only eating yoghurt and had run out ,ended up spending 8.74 on yoghurt and cereal but it was on offer in mr t as 3 for 2, and got a £3 off £20 voucher on next shop which i will use as need to top up on noodles ect.
    72,77/ 150.00 - sept gc
    159.46/150.00 - aug gc
  • 69chick
    69chick Posts: 544 Forumite
    Options
    HI all, been reading through some posts and getting motivated for the rest of the week, spending has been a bit willy nilly, am getting all my receipts together so will update sig later.

Have a question that am hoping someone on here can answer...I make a chicken pie out of lo roast chuck with gravy and veg and the kids like me to do one with a bottom and top...only thing is even using the tip I had of cooling down the filling first, the bottom always seems abit soggy which I hate as I don't like undercooked pastry....

Was thinking of cooking the bottom blind,can I do that as it is or do I need to get those special beans? also how long would you suggest so as not to overcook the bottom when the lid goes on or can you only blind bake the bottom if there is no top??? so many questions :D
    Starting with Avon C6 target sales £150.00
  • luckycat99
    luckycat99 Posts: 318 Forumite
    Options
    Be-ro cook book (received today, very excited) said that you can use rice instead of beans, you could use dried beans rather than the baking beans. You need to put greaseproof paper over the pastry and then put rice/beans on top of paper. Bake at 190C for 15 minutes if you're going to use base immediately with a hot filling, then after 15 take out paper etc and put your filling in and whack it back in oven.
    14 projects in 2014: 3/14
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hex2 wrote: »
    Can you please put Hex2 down for £350 in July.

Please! :A

Nothing spent from the GC yet. trying v hard to keep it under control as we have an expensive month.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • cyclura
    cyclura Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ahhh I went well over budget spening £56.50 on the major shop yesterdaybut its part of next weeks as well so thats not too bad. that brings my total so far to £57.99/£200
    Debt Free...yay! 10/09/2013 :j

• ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    ok so out of our £150 so far i have spent about £26, i say about as i know some of what we've spent is being given back to us as it was for others,

have to go make a batch of muffins now, an torn between pear, apple & cinnamon or peach..... hmm decisions decisions.. :D

ps PP please can my aim (£150) go on the list?
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Tracey.32
    Tracey.32 Posts: 75 Forumite
    edited 6 July 2011 at 8:25PM
    Options
    Tracey.32 wrote: »
    Can I be put down for £120 again this month?

Pretty please? :A ... and thank you!

Not been shopping since last Thursday and hadn't actually planned on it till next week, but I think I need to go tomorrow. I'm going to need more cheese which I didn't get last week because A$da had run out of lake district cheddar which was on offer - on mulling it over tho I think I'm just going to give SP a go if it works out cheaper by weight.

Meal plan going ok too - reckon I'll need another proper shop in maybe a week or 2 (needs to be under £60) and that should see us through to the end of the month (she said, hopefully!). Chicken quesadillas tonight and pasta bolognese from the freezer tomorrow.

Hope everyone is doing well :hello:

PS: Just checked out SP cheddar on mysupermarket - white mature cheddar is £1.64/kg and regular mature cheddar is £6.20/kg :eek:
    Grocery challenge: Jun£134.15/£120; Jul £60.90/£120
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Spent £13 odd yesterday in Mr S but this should last us all week and also included 2 x 1/2 price shower gels and 4 for 3 on shampoo/conditioner as well as deoderant and a box of coke for DH.

Have booked tomorrow off as a days holiday as nothing happening at work so will spend the time sorting the freezers and doing some batch cooking and baking.

We are doing OK on our budget which is just as well as there is no spare money to go over.:(
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • supersally01
    supersally01 Posts: 785 Forumite
    Options
    Some small spends to report. £7 at Mr T's for soda crystals and soap for making washing powder, got some borax from ebay (£2).
    Children wanted chocolate, got some free Doves, and other bits.
    The washing powder mix went down well, clothes looked clean. Started using vinegar as fabric conditioner, and clothes were soft.
    Working tomorrow, so a NSD, hope to get to LIDL at the weekend for the weekend offers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure