PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• 69chick
    69chick Posts: 544 Forumite
    Options
    luckycat99 wrote: »
    Be-ro cook book (received today, very excited) said that you can use rice instead of beans, you could use dried beans rather than the baking beans. You need to put greaseproof paper over the pastry and then put rice/beans on top of paper. Bake at 190C for 15 minutes if you're going to use base immediately with a hot filling, then after 15 take out paper etc and put your filling in and whack it back in oven.

Thanks luckycat99 do you know if I can then put a pie top on at that point?

Have update sig from a few small shops including my discounted one last friday from Ocado...did well for a small spend of £23 with them, but at full price without the discount I really couldn't afford to use them which is shame although the kids are not at all happy with their essentials squash, I tried it too and its not all that great..

need to get a shop in Friday or Sat, have just remembered dh is away all next week on a sales thing so I won't have to consider him which should make it nice and cheap (allthough my wine consumption might go up :o)
    Starting with Avon C6 target sales £150.00
  • rej-c
    rej-c Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    Nipped in to H&B on the way home last night - £23.57 spent on a bag full of vegan burgers, sausages, soya cheeze etc [all BOGOHP], which takes us up to £42.64/£250 for the month. I had planned on keeping it under £20, but had a moment of weakness when I spotted that they had the garlicky egg-free mayo in stock... :o

Anyway, that's all stashed away, mostly in the freezer, and will keep the lazy-cook, junk-food-loving bit of my brain happy for at least a couple of months - and I'm determined to save the mayo for Christmas.

It's back to shopping from the cupboards for now [friends are coming over tonight and they're getting beany sausage casserole, like it or not - it's on the menu plan, and easily stretched with an extra sausage or two and a tin of spuds or tomatoes]. I'm hoping for NSDs for the next couple of days at least, but will need to get some fresh or frozen veg in soon. Hope I can get some of JackieO's bargaintastic luck when I do :T
    Haven't done the GC since February, but a glance at the Tower of Receipts tells me I really need to get back into it... and plenty of other Challenges besides. :o
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

Found my receipt from Mr S earlier in the week which is higher than my estimate and a £7.40 spend in Mr S on my bank statement I have not noted on my speadsheet so I have adjusted my total accordingly. We now stand at £204.77/£260 with 14 days to go until pay day. Doesn't sound much but I am well stocked up on non food items and dog food and have today off to sort and list the freezer contents and do some batch cooking. I ma quite pleased with the total as usually by now I am even closer to the limit and have half given up.

HM Lasagne for tea tonight with salad and garlic bread.

The batch cooking/baking I have planned includes:

2 x qu0rn and leek pies
    Lasagne x 2
    Chilli x 4
    Bolognaise x 2
    Chocolate buns
    Victoria sponge with buttercream and jam filling
    Sultana Scones from a sack of mix from AF
    Cheese scones

Right, best get cracking with the house work so I can cook this afternoon.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • redkids1972
    redkids1972 Posts: 417 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2011 at 9:45AM
    Options
    Hi just checking in to say its been a good week as not spent much. Managed to get 12 meal deals from sainsburies so have been eating from those and have 6 gammon joints and a couple of sea bass meals still in the freezer (not to mention the 5 sticky toffee pudding). Did a small tesco shop to use vouchers and got the cat fod to try to disguise them so up to £61. Trying to use up my large stock pile and completely empty the freezer this month can see some strange combinations coming up:D
    The budget of £200 for 2 adults, 3 kids and 3 cats is gunna be tough but gunna give it my best shot.
    Chilli in the SC today looking forward to that may add a blob of the free philadelphia before serving.
    At the weekend wll make some cakes for lunchboxes this week.
    will check in next week to update fingers crossed total wont have increased much
    New to comping 11/2/2013

Feb wins to date: 0lympic messenger bag, £100 :beer:
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    morning all nsd today :) well grocerywise i'm gonna fill my car up with desil ready for next week when hubby is off lots of picnics in on the cards and trips to the beach :)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • luckycat99
    luckycat99 Posts: 318 Forumite
    Options
    69chick wrote: »
    Thanks luckycat99 do you know if I can then put a pie top on at that point?

Have update sig from a few small shops including my discounted one last friday from Ocado...did well for a small spend of £23 with them, but at full price without the discount I really couldn't afford to use them which is shame although the kids are not at all happy with their essentials squash, I tried it too and its not all that great..

need to get a shop in Friday or Sat, have just remembered dh is away all next week on a sales thing so I won't have to consider him which should make it nice and cheap (allthough my wine consumption might go up :o)

I expect so, although it doesn't specify. Maybe someone else on here would know a bit more about it.
    14 projects in 2014: 3/14
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 July 2011 at 10:09AM
    Options
    69chick, should be fine but don't overcook the bottom, else the edges may burn? you basically need to just dry it out a little. I've never pre-cooked the base of a topped pie though :o

Anyone who's not on the list yet, please bear with us a while. MrsMc is away and not able to update this month, Pink winged has taken over temporarily but she's really busy at the moment.

I'm thinking maybe I'll collect names and post them all in a list for Pink to pick up more easily. ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Weekly shop and a few others in between done. Signature updated. My freezer is so full and I have a lot of stuff to try to fit in :eek:. I bought some veg to batch cook some mousakka or ratatouille for the freezer which will need to wait as there is no room. I also wanted to fit in some LO broccili and cauliflower cheese that I intend to cook up tomorrow. I will need to have a good think. I seem to have got too far ahead of myself.
  • xshootingstarsx
    Options
    Another spend to report from Sunday. I spent around £20ish. Which takes me up to around £65 for this month. Bought 1kg chicken breast, 2 baby chickens, some sweets, some spice packets, tomatoes, fruit and some other bits and bobs from 99p store for the house like soap, foil, storage tub, air fresheners and cream.

Won't be going shopping this weekend as dh is away. I have however got to pop into the supermarket later to pick up a few bits. Shouldn't cost more than £10/£20 which will take me up to £85 for the month leaving around £115 for three weeks shopping will should be easy enough to do as I'll only need fresh items and meat.

Will be back later to update my signature.
  • prophecy_grrl
    Options
    Thanks to pink-winged for sorting out this months GC - even tho I've not posted in while I've kept on track spending just £104.10 of my £200 June budget :T

I'm aiming for £160 for July GC please. Have spent £43.38 so far which includes some alcohol for a party I'm going to this weekend, and enough nappies for 2 weeks.

Good luck all for July in case I don't get to post for a while again x
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills