Broadband Help please

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
34 replies 2.2K views
124»

Replies

• I'm puzzled here. Talk Talk have referred the speed issue back to BT to check the line, so even they are saying that the line has nothing to do with NTL or cable services. Which would be right. Talk Talk do not supply over Virgin as-was-ntl phone lines, only BT ones and the same was true for Tiscali.

If you get 1Mbps to 2Mbps now, and Sky estimate 3Mbps the line is long and/or poor quality and that will impact every single provider supplying a broadband service via the phone line regardless of whether it's a cheap or expensive provider. The ISP is not obliged to do anything about that *unless* on sign up you were supplied with a speed estimate and the actual is significantly slower.

The 1Mbps speed does not indicate any fault is present. It sounds as though they tried to raise the speed (sync rate/profile) and the line management system found faster speeds to be unstable, and dropped them back down again to preserve stability.

You have access to the cable network, and so could have a connection from 10Mbps upwards (to 100Mbps). Without looking in great detail, it sounds as though if you want speed, you're going to have to get cable: Virgin Media (check your postcode on their site and look for "You're in a fibre optic area" in the result).

Otherwise I don't actually see what the problem is. You have a 1Mbps maybe 2Mbps connection on an "up to 8Mbps" or "up to 20Mbps" package which is perfectly valid. That's as fast as the line will go give or take not very much.
  • edited 18 August 2011 at 5:01PM
    macmanmacman Forumite
    48.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 August 2011 at 5:01PM
    Looking back at post 19, the OP said that Sky promised 'up to 3MBps, not actually 3MBps. So that could equally mean between 1 and 2Mbps-the same as TT.
    The OP has a undefined billing issue with TT relating to an old NTL line status, which frankly after 30 plus posts we are none the wiser about, and this has been unresolved since April?
    So, if in say a week's time the BT line test has produced nothing of relevance (which is what I expect) then time for the OP to exercise the option to go with a better ADSL provider with no exit penalty.
    OP, please put your number into this link and tell us what the predicted speed is:
    http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • nickytnickyt Forumite
    910 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    here is what I got from that link you posted:
    Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 250Kbps and 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2.5Mbps and 6.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 500Kbps and downstream line speed of 3Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 2.5Mbps and 6.5Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

I did try to explian what happened but looks like I did not do it very well sorry.

This all started in April when I got a letter telling me that my Tiscali account would be closed down from the 6th May and to ring them asap. I rang them and they told me that they could give me the same as I already had but it would cost £5 more. I said I was not happy with this and would look around, they then said I could have phone line, free evening and weekend calls and broadband for £16.21. I said for the sake of £1.21 I would go ahead with this deal and told them to go ahead with the order.

2 days later I got a letter saying welcome to Talk Talk thank you for taking your phone line with us for £16.21. I rang back and asked why the broadband was not showing on the account only to be told there was no order for BB. I asked to talk to the person I spoke to and was told that was not possible. I then asked to talk to a manager and was told again not possible. I asked for them to listen to the call and that would confirm my order was for phone, calls and BB. This again was not possible so I tries a different number and was told the same again.

I then left it a day and called again and got a customer service member that put me through to a manager. She said not to worry she would add the BB to my phone line account and it would be the same price £16.21. So I said ok I will go ahead with that, she then told me they would have to cancel the first order to place the phone and BB on an account together. This would mean changing my number that at this moment in time is not possible for me.

Then things went from bad to worse, they could not add the BB to my phone account as they are saying it's a NTL and not possible for them to take that line (I still do not understand why.) I then was told that they were going to let me keep my number but as I am a NTL line my BB would have to be IP BB. But this way I would have all the items asked for at the agreed price.

The day my BB went from Tiscali to TT we noticed we could not watch youtube, footy video's from signed up to site or any tv. I did a check and our bb had gone down from 2mb to 1mb. They said they had had a look at my account and for some reason I was signed up to a 1mb bb account and they would change it over for me and it would take a week. I did get 2mb after about 5 days and that lasted for 2 days then I went back down to 1mb.

They are now saying they think there is something wrong somewhere and they need to run a SNR test to find out where the issue is. If they were to give me the better mb's now it would go back to 1mb as the line would hit the same fault and defer back to 1mb.

All I am trying to get is the same service and mbs I got with Tiscali which was 2mbs, this was enough to do the things I wanted. I was asking about all this as I am unsure how these things work and did not want to get into something that would be no use to me. If going to VM would be better for me then thats what I will have to do, but I don't want to make a costly mistake.

Sorry this is a long post but thought this would explain a bit clearer what had gone on.

Nicky
    Thanks for any help and advice given
    ~~~Nicky~~~
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the speed problem at all times of the day, or just in peak hours (say 5pm to midnight)? If the latter, it's a contention ratio problem and you can do absolutely nothing about it except switch to a decent ADSL provider.
    Test your line speed at about 3am if possible, or very early in the morning, say 6am.
    You need to do all these tests using ethernet from the test socket as already described. Your main problem is distance from the exchange, so you need to minimise any further signal loss by cutting out dodgy extension wiring, using decent quality filters etc.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals