Discuss the free solar panel company: A Shade Greener

Options

Comments

• GoingSolo
    GoingSolo Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    Just got this reply from A Shade Greener

Electricity saved over the year is 37-50% isthe averages from ASG customers survey. Solar in variable , less in winter morein summer. But Very generally half your bill is 1000kwh x 12.948p = 12948p or£129.48. In the real world the largest saving would be in summer ,realistically in winter I would expect less ! The largest savings are when ulive by the sun- use large users if elec during the day( when it's free!) ie washingmachine, Hoover, shower , immersion heater(put washing on timer if out) and lowuse at night(?when u pay the elec company- lights, tele.
    I recommend sequentially puting large users onone after the other had finished. Eg kettle is 2kw,Hoover is around 1-2kw on acloudy day the panels may produce between 1-2kw , so if u put both on at thesame time you may be paying for some of your electricity from the grid.

• Glevum_Owl
    Glevum_Owl Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Their reply sounds about right. Stagger usage of appliances and make use timers on things like dish washers & washing machines.

Basically turn off as much as possible at night & back on during the day when needed which might mean changing old habits. For instance, I now back up our PC's during the day instead of overnight.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    GJE wrote: »
    Hi,

My name is Garry and I work for a Shade Greener. My role isto source suitable properties for free solar. If you are looking for free solarPV then please contact me .....
    ... and the award for solar spammer of the year goes to ..... <extended silence> ..... Garry from ASG :j:j:j

Congratulations, as I write this you have posted exactly the same text 8 times on different threads ....

I suppose that the senior management at ASG have given permission to one of their employees to spam on their behalf ? .... perhaps the day will come that those who use boards such as this will return the favour .... just think, thousands of sales leads for Garry at ASG from which not one successful appointment is achieved .....

Take care when spamming, you might just well get what you ask for & have the compliment returned ....

I'd simply suggest that an apology to forum members is forthcoming, the spam is taken down & you have a word with your line manager in the morning ....

Z

"We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Mr_Black
    Mr_Black Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just had an ASG cold caller. Am always sceptical of cold callers but he was polite and I gave him my time. Soon gave up my details to agree to a survey and after reading this thread I'm happy I did.

Hopefully this will turn out well. What can be wrong with free solar panels and free energy eh? :j
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Mr_Black wrote: »
    Hopefully this will turn out well. What can be wrong with free solar panels and free energy eh? :j

Several things.

Could make your house more difficult to sell.

Upset neighbours who think they look awful.

If you like solar panels, why not get them fitted yourself and get all the subsidies yourself(instead of it going to ASG) and the all electricity you can use in the house. Prices have reduced a lot recently.
  • Mr_Black
    Mr_Black Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't afford to buy them myself. No neighbours can see my roof. I would have thought resell would be easier!? I doubt I'd sell any time soon though, if anything I'd rent out and I'd suspect solar power to be attractive to a tennant.
  • Smiley_Dan
    Smiley_Dan Posts: 948 Forumite
    Options
    You'd have thought that, but there are some weird people about.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 30 July 2014 at 8:22AM
    Options
    Mr_Black wrote: »
    I would have thought resell would be easier!? .

Some mortgage companies simply don't like an organisation to have a 20 year lease on the property(some prospective owners as well)

If ASG have the panels on the roof it prevents the new owner from putting their own panels on the roof.

There has been a lot of discussion on this point on MSE.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • huntiodo
    Options
    I'm a first time buyer and we've just been informed that the house we were hoping to complete on has these ASG solar panels. Aside from whether our mortgage lender will agree to a mortgage with a 25year lease, we are very apprehensive as to whether or not to go ahead with the purchase.
    Surely over 25 years these panels will be so out of date! In fact the rate renewable energy is moving, they'll be out of date in a few years. In my opinion, as we'd probably want to sell and move on in about 6-8 years, this could be a major problem with selling as they'll be very dated. By that time, solar panels may be so cheap to buy, that having this lease will be a total disadvantage.
    Any thoughts?
    I'm absolutely gutted, this has totally put a dampener on the sale... In fact, I can't actually believe that this has never been mentioned by the seller or estate agent and had to be brought up by the solicitor. Surely this lease etc should have been mentioned on the sales particulars?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback