Annual Leave

Options
chazzie83
chazzie83 Posts: 56 Forumite
edited 12 July 2011 at 7:28PM in UK armed forces MoneySaving
Hi

I am currently serving in the RAF and have been told that you have to use all your leave this year, and you can't carry any days over for next year. My section already has a leave ban inplace for August and October and with all the current operations going on theres no way am gonna be able to take it all. Does anybody no anyway its possible to carry over any off your leave at the end of the financial year.

Thanks

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• WhiteThierry
    Options
    speak to your adminners and put a gen app in.
  • herewegoagain2010
    Options
    My hubby has been told the same 'use it or lose it' They're going to reset everyone back to zero in March ready for the next leave year. I know so many people who aren't going to be able to cram it all in due to ops and think it's really unfair. Perhaphs they should look at a buy-back scheme so you're not losing out completely. My hubby has booked a load and will have to lose what he can't take. It should be a long Christmas for us this year! Get as much booked as you can or it will be gone!
    Starting again and working towards our new df life!
    A very proud forces wife
  • 13Kent
    13Kent Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I believe the system automatically carries over 15 days to the following year. Carrying over more than that is at the disgression of the Station Commander. If you put in for leave and it is "declined for service reasons" this strengthens your case for being able to carry over more leave rather than you choosing not to take it, so it might be worth putting in for it even if you think it might not be allowed.
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    April 1st 2012 is the year that everyones leave that is carried over resets to 0. It will reset every 3 years, or upon posting to a new unit.

Chazzie,

You need to submit leave on JPA, and have it rejected. Keep a copy of the rejections to submit with your General Application as a case for carrying over the leave. I have no doubt that a Gen App without any supporting evidence will be rejected.

If you have lots of leave to use it, speak directly with your line management, its not your HR Admin section's problem, as they dont approve your leave.

Start to worry soon, as there will be alot of people in the same position.
  • 13Kent
    13Kent Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alias_omega,
    does that mean that when I change my unit in Oct 11, I reset to 38 days? I only ask, as I was told that I could only take with me that number of days that equate to the remaining leave year i.e 38 = 12 months therefore 5 months = (38/12) * 5 = 15.8 or 16 whole days?
    On the plus side, after a short notice det & then posting I had 25 days left over. HR & my boss told me there was no chance the extra 10 days could be carried over. I stuck in a GenApp to my Stn Cdr explaining everything the extra 10 were credited. You can only apply, the worst thing they can say is no!
  • Fergie76
    Fergie76 Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nobody should lose any leave.

JPA normally carries over up to 15 days automatically each year and I have seen nothing so far to say other wise. Anything over and above the automatic 15 days, should be requested to your CO to carry forward.

As someone has mentioned above, even if you know your leave is going to be denied, you should still request it on JPA, so that there is evidence that you tried to take your and it was denied. This will strengthen your case for having it carried forward.

I have 60 days leave this year, plus about 6 days carried over from last year and we are about to deploy for 6 months.
  • Fergie76
    Fergie76 Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    13Kent wrote: »
    Alias_omega,
    does that mean that when I change my unit in Oct 11, I reset to 38 days? I only ask, as I was told that I could only take with me that number of days that equate to the remaining leave year i.e 38 = 12 months therefore 5 months = (38/12) * 5 = 15.8 or 16 whole days?
    On the plus side, after a short notice det & then posting I had 25 days left over. HR & my boss told me there was no chance the extra 10 days could be carried over. I stuck in a GenApp to my Stn Cdr explaining everything the extra 10 were credited. You can only apply, the worst thing they can say is no!

The way to work out leave is 38/365*No. of days left in leave year.

All outstanding leave should be taken before joining a new Unit, but as we all know that is not always possible. Therefore as I have said in my post, you should always submit leave, so that you can have it refused.
  • herewegoagain2010
    Options
    I know you can carry leave over normally Fergie, but there was an bulletin went around saying that everyone will be reset to zero at the end of next March with no exceptions. My hubby is in a meeting this afternoon, but I'll try and find out where he read it or who issued it. We're quite lucky and he should be able to squeeze his all in. I feel for anyone who hasn't touch their re-engagement days etc because my understanding is that, they'll lose that too if it's not taken before the reset.
    Starting again and working towards our new df life!
    A very proud forces wife
  • chazzie83
    chazzie83 Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replys that was my plan to submit requests and get them rejected, really wanted to carry leave over as i leave the RAF Sept 2012, if i don't get picked up this summer only got told by my Flight sergeant last week about the leave issue i thought something should of been in place before the new tax year and not telling 3 mths down the line.
  • maddymoo
    maddymoo Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Yep - clock resets 1st April 2012 so if you haven't taken it - you will lose it. That's easier said than done I know with leave bans, deployments etc, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure