tesco taken payment almost 3 weeks later

Options

Comments

• MistysKisses
    Options
    To avoid overdrawn chargers why dont you get a small overdraft with your bank. If you are overdrawn assuming its not over the overdraft limit then you pay pennies if its only for a few days or maybe few pounds at most if its weeks
    didnt realise you could do that, if i rung them now would that go on today and so i would avoid large charges?
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~Unknown
  • Welshdebtor
    Welshdebtor Posts: 628 Forumite
    Options
    What they will do is when you order say £25 worth of shopping, they will ringfence/hold £25 with your bank. Some days later they will then take £25. However they do not take the £25 held/ringfenced but a "new" £25 if you like. This shows on your account as a reduction of £50 (the £25 you spent and the £25 "held"). In a few days the £25 "held" should be released back into your account. I believe you can speed this up by contacting the bank and explaining what has happened.

Sorry if that sounds confusing :rotfl:
    Here to learn and pass on my experiences.
    Had a total of £8200 of debt written off due to harassment during 2010 and 2012.
  • MistysKisses
    Options
    vuvuzela wrote: »
    So it showed balance available was what you were expecting. Did you check it at any point in the 3 weeks to make sure that the balance and available balance were the same, ie the money had actually been taken, not just as a pending transaction ?
    well no as in all the years ive shopped with them we have never had this kind of thing, so i guess i just took it for granted that it had gone.
    Is there any accounts we could have that maybe it wouldnt be possible for this to happen (we only now shop online if we are without transport so not often lately, but if this is a thing that could happen then im considering not using it again)
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~Unknown
  • MistysKisses
    Options
    What they will do is when you order say £25 worth of shopping, they will ringfence/hold £25 with your bank. Some days later they will then take £25. However they do not take the £25 held/ringfenced but a "new" £25 if you like. This shows on your account as a reduction of £50 (the £25 you spent and the £25 "held"). In a few days the £25 "held" should be released back into your account. I believe you can speed this up by contacting the bank and explaining what has happened.

by the bold bit do you mean ring the bank a few days later explain that this is whats happened and they will put your account showing as it should be quicker? if you see what i mean?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i didnt mean tesco had waited really, i dont think they really waited til they knew i had no money. what does ring fenced mean? and i dont understand how it could have been spent when although it was showing on my balance it wasnt in my available balance
    So are you saying that you couldn't spend the money that was due to Tesco even if you wanted to?

If that is so, then you will need to look for some-one else to blame for your overspending. ;)
  • tomwakefield
    tomwakefield Posts: 8,036 Forumite
    Options
    by the bold bit do you mean ring the bank a few days later explain that this is whats happened and they will put your account showing as it should be quicker? if you see what i mean?
    A shop will ringfence £X when you order something before taking the money. If they don't take that money, but a different £X, that money will remain ringfenced until the time allowed to claim runs out (about 10 days I think) and the money is released and able to be spent again.

If you ring your bank, they may manually release the money earlier than the usual time period.
    Competition wins: Where's Wally Goody Bag, Club badge branded football, Nivea for Men Goody Bag
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options

That's what I assumed had happened. But I'm not so sure. I think that it showed originally as being marked for payment, then the OP forgot all about it, and spent it before it has actually been taken. If that's the case, then there's no real comeback.

If, however, your scenario has happened and for a period, the OP effectively has £200 'missing' (i.e. one payment plus one ringfenced amount), then she should complain and be reimbursed any charges she's incurred.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tesco's tend not to ringfence the whole amount, it's Asda who are a nightmare for this.

Tesco usually ringfence £1, then take the whole amount just before they deliver.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I was getting confused, but I presume Welshdebtor has got it right

i.e. Tesco held £x as payment pending, but then took a separate (identical) amount of £y, without releasing the initial £x, so the OP ended up going overdrawn as the bank account saw it as TWO lots of £x, not just one!

Could you not just go and see your bank manager and explain? They are human beings after all...
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • MistysKisses
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    I was getting confused, but I presume Welshdebtor has got it right

i.e. Tesco held £x as payment pending, but then took a separate (identical) amount of £y, without releasing the initial £x, so the OP ended up going overdrawn as the bank account saw it as TWO lots of £x, not just one!

Could you not just go and see your bank manager and explain? They are human beings after all...
    i'll ring them as the nearest brach is about an hour away and so i cant get there
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure