tesco taken payment almost 3 weeks later

Options
Hiya everyone,
Im hoping someone can advise me..........
almost 3 weeks ago i ordered the weekly shop for delivery the next day(sunday) once it had been picked i checked the bank and there was my balance and available balance(which showed that the tesco money was being held to go out, as usual) so because thats what usually happens i thought no more about it, until i got up this am and checked the bank to see if we have anything available and its showing were almost £100 overdrawn and the payment that has done it it to tesco's with the date that we received the order.
I wouldnt mind but there has been sufficient funds each day since then so they could have allowed it out those days, but they allowed it to go today when there are no funds in.
Where do i stand with this? It showed that it had been more or less taken staright away but not actually gone out til today, due to this we are going to be charged goodness knows how much because no money will be in the account until friday.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~Unknown

Comments

• fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    Have they released the first ringfenced amount?
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya everyone,
    Im hoping someone can advise me..........
    almost 3 weeks ago i ordered the weekly shop for delivery the next day(sunday) once it had been picked i checked the bank and there was my balance and available balance(which showed that the tesco money was being held to go out, as usual) so because thats what usually happens i thought no more about it, until i got up this am and checked the bank to see if we have anything available and its showing were almost £100 overdrawn and the payment that has done it it to tesco's with the date that we received the order.
    I wouldnt mind but there has been sufficient funds each day since then so they could have allowed it out those days, but they allowed it to go today when there are no funds in.
    Where do i stand with this? It showed that it had been more or less taken staright away but not actually gone out til today, due to this we are going to be charged goodness knows how much because no money will be in the account until friday.

You stand overdrawn. You should have made sure the money hadn't been actually taken before spending it. They didn't wait until you had no money left, they are entitled to take it when they want, it's just good practice to do this straight away.
  • geordieracer
    geordieracer Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    Options
    Its a tough one really. On the one hand you have had the goods and you have noticed that there is money to cover this in your account daily but you havent checked to see if it has physically gone out and have then spent the money anyway.

Tesco do have a right to the money as you have had and probably ate your shop by so there isnt much of a comeback.

On the flip - it was and is strange that they have taken so long to take so maybe a nicely worded letter to them may get you any overdrawn charges back and/or a goodwill gesture off your next shop. But legally i dont think you have any grounds for any claim.
    one of the famous 5:kiss:
  • MistysKisses
    Options
    Have they released the first ringfenced amount?
    what is the first ringfenced amount?
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~Unknown
  • Antispam
    Antispam Posts: 6,636 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have to agree with last post post 3, how were Tescos to know you may become overdrawn, they can take the monies owed at any time within reason. You should have really made sure the money was ring fenced in your account so you didnt spend it
  • MistysKisses
    Options
    vuvuzela wrote: »
    You stand overdrawn. You should have made sure the money hadn't been actually taken before spending it. They didn't wait until you had no money left, they are entitled to take it when they want, it's just good practice to do this straight away.
    the money couldnt have been spent because it wasnt in my available balance at the time, ie: when i check my bank and something is due out it shows for example £150 balance
    £89 available balance

so how is it possible it could have been spent?
  • MistysKisses
    Options
    Antispam wrote: »
    Have to agree with last post post 3, how were Tescos to know you may become overdrawn, they can take the monies owed at any time within reason. You should have really made sure the money was ring fenced in your account so you didnt spend it
    i didnt mean tesco had waited really, i dont think they really waited til they knew i had no money. what does ring fenced mean? and i dont understand how it could have been spent when although it was showing on my balance it wasnt in my available balance
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just as an aside, they have up to 6 years to actually take the amount, granted if it gets to this length of time they do have to warn you in advance,
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    Options
    So it showed balance available was what you were expecting. Did you check it at any point in the 3 weeks to make sure that the balance and available balance were the same, ie the money had actually been taken, not just as a pending transaction ?
  • NeverInDebt
    NeverInDebt Posts: 4,634 Forumite
    Options
    To avoid overdrawn chargers why dont you get a small overdraft with your bank. If you are overdrawn assuming its not over the overdraft limit then you pay pennies if its only for a few days or maybe few pounds at most if its weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure