'Shop staff quoted nonsense rights at me...' blog discussion

Comments

• tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    I was in meeting Nick Gibb schools minister about financial education in schools yesterday (see http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/financial-education/ ) so in many ways I agree with you.

:T:T:T:T Martin, I love your campaign to improve financial education in schools; managing money is one of the most important aspects of our lives so it really should be taught at school. If that is part of your lasting legacy one day, you will have done yourself proud. :D

Now that I've got the praise out of the way :D , can I make a tiny correction? I am ashamed of my own pedantry, but I must point out that the correct word is 'defuse' (the situation), not 'diffuse'. Sorry. :o

aldredd wrote: »
    Believe it or not, when I went with my partner to return a pair of shoes which had started falling apart after one use - only to be told that they wouldn't take them back as 'no one else' had had a problem with them - I was too gobsmacked to even argue against them.

This has happened to me as well, lots of times!

In fact, last week, I returned a much loved handbag to a well known (and quite expensive) high street shop because the straps had started to come away from the bag. I had only used it a couple of dozen times in the two years I've owned it, and would have expected it to last a lot longer. The SA almost laughed me out of the shop! She said 'That bag's two years old, what do you expect?' :eek:

I stood my ground, told her that it had cost me £20 (in a 50% off sale - original price was £40!) and that I would definitely expect it to last longer than that. I pointed out the condition of the bag and told her that it hadn't been used a lot, and she reluctantly offered me an exchange to the current value (£10). Although I didn't have proof of purchase, the bag had the store's label on it, so she couldn't dispute that I had bought it from the same company. I wasn't thrilled with the exchange price, but accepted it and got a nice necklace instead.

I take care of my things and expect them to last a long time. What do you all think? Should a mid-range store's handbags be expected to last longer than two years?
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • ceebeeby
    ceebeeby Posts: 4,357 Forumite
    tara747 wrote: »
    In fact, last week, I returned a much loved handbag to a well known (and quite expensive) high street shop because the straps had started to come away from the bag. I had only used it a couple of dozen times in the two years I've owned it, and would have expected it to last a lot longer. The SA almost laughed me out of the shop! She said 'That bag's two years old, what do you expect?' :eek:

I stood my ground, told her that it had cost me £20 (in a 50% off sale - original price was £40!) and that I would definitely expect it to last longer than that. I pointed out the condition of the bag and told her that it hadn't been used a lot, and she reluctantly offered me an exchange to the current value (£10). Although I didn't have proof of purchase, the bag had the store's label on it, so she couldn't dispute that I had bought it from the same company. I wasn't thrilled with the exchange price, but accepted it and got a nice necklace instead.

I take care of my things and expect them to last a long time. What do you all think? Should a mid-range store's handbags be expected to last longer than two years?

I think you got very lucky or they were just trying to get rid of you from the store!

I don't think £40 is a lot of money for a full price hand-bag (in fact, it could be considered quite cheap for a quality bag), but you got it even better than that for £20. It's lasted you 2 years and imho that is more than than value for money. Can you proove you've only used it a few times - and quantify exactly what you mean by that. You might have only used it a few time to have handbag fights or carry bricks. Plus it was much loved - pull the other one luv!

TBH, had I been the shop assistant I'd have laughed you out of the store too - I think you only got away with it because you were quite necky.:D
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    ceebeeby wrote: »
    I think you got very lucky or they were just trying to get rid of you from the store!

I don't think £40 is a lot of money for a full price hand-bag (in fact, it could be considered quite cheap for a quality bag), but you got it even better than that for £20. It's lasted you 2 years and imho that is more than than value for money. Can you proove you've only used it a few times - and quantify exactly what you mean by that. You might have only used it a few time to have handbag fights or carry bricks. Plus it was much loved - pull the other one luv!

TBH, had I been the shop assistant I'd have laughed you out of the store too - I think you only got away with it because you were quite necky.:D

Interesting pov. I can't prove that I had only used it a few times, but the absolutely immaculate condition of the bag (inside and out) would have proved it. I don't cart half my life around with me either, so it genuinely was light use.

Also, a lot of people think that £40 is quite expensive for a handbag. I certainly would expect it to last longer than that. At least I was honest enough to say that I'd bought it in the sale. And I did love it - I would love to still have it, but the fault was too noticeable sadly, and it would have just lain in the wardrobe gathering dust otherwise. A waste.
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • Arthurian
    Arthurian Posts: 795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Too many shop managers quote company policy as if it is the law. The manageress of a certain Orange phone shop springs to mind....:mad: They should be trained to know the law as it pertains to their shop. And given Martin's consumer rights aide-memoire printout.
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have been told by one retailer - you can't return the item as you didn't take out our extended warranty!!! I went home grabbed my 'how not to get ripped off' book and showed them the SOGA chapter and got an exchange and refund of the difference.

The worse example was a broken piece of a computer desk and they wanted me to return the whole desk which would have meant two taxi rides. After contacting HQ they just swapped the broken piece over!!

Another time a week old laptop with a problem, they wanted to send for a repair, as that was their policy. I had to contact their HQ and it took 2 attempts there to get an exchange!!!

A PVR kept locking up and was refunded within a few months, but they wouldn't refund my extended warranty. I had to contact trading standards because the first year is covered by the initial guarantee!!!

Best example where a jacket had too much lining and would catch in the zip, they had a seamstress there, so they ran in through a sewing machine (gathered it a bit) and it is perfect!!!!
  • Stockie
    Stockie Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I agree that SOGA1979(as amended) should be part of reatil basic training.

Having worked in retail thou, I would also like it pointed out to consumers that the 5yr (6 in scotland) right to claim in court, is how long you have to make a claim from the date of purchase. NOT how long the product should last.

Also should be pointed out when ever mentioning returns (as you have done but many don't) that if you simply change your mind about an item, you have no rights to return under the law. Store returns policies can state what they wish when it comes to these kind of returns. BUT these policies are part of the contract when you buy something so they are legally enforceable back against the retailer if you use them and stay within the conditions.

It's not unreasonable to ask for some proof of purchase that you bought the item from the place your returning it to.
    My views and opinions are my own and do not represent those of my employer(s) or anyone else
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You know what? I could put up with a tremendous amount of duff info in exchange for an additional 3% discount. on a jacket.
    If I remember correctly some M&S sale items are sold on a no refund/no returns basis.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    tara747 wrote: »
    ... Also, a lot of people think that £40 is quite expensive for a handbag...

Sadly my wife isn't one of them.
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    Errata wrote: »
    You know what? I could put up with a tremendous amount of duff info in exchange for an additional 3% discount. on a jacket.
    If I remember correctly some M&S sale items are sold on a no refund/no returns basis.

Another big highstreet retailer offers exchange only if reduced by over 50%, even if faulty they can get shirty about it.
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • ceebeeby
    ceebeeby Posts: 4,357 Forumite
    antrobus wrote: »
    Sadly my wife isn't one of them.
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Even more sadly nor does my husbands wife!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure