MSE News: British Gas may stop doorstep selling

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
16 replies 2.4K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"British Gas says it won't risk its reputation by continuing to flog deals this way unless the sector cleans up its act ..."

Replies

• AntispamAntispam Forumite
    6.6K posts
    I never had British gas come to my house to sell, only company that has is Southern electric and they have been loads of times
  • PlushchrisPlushchris Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Believe it when I see it.
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
    3.6K posts
    Bentley says: "......We have lost sales because when someone genuinely cannot save money by switching to us we don't go through with it."

Thats just a plain lie, they did exactly that to my mother 2 years ago, they also did something to the records of the electricity that meant it was difficult for her to switch away. They changed the records to say she had an Economy 7 meter (which she hadnt had for about 20 years) then when she tried switching back to Scottish power (who she was with before getting mugged off on the doorstep) they said they couldnt take her back because of her electric meter (which hadnt changed) took about 6 months to sort it all out. I would never ever touch BG with a bargepole.
    3.6K posts
    It says it won't risk its reputation by continuing to flog gas and electricity deals this way
    Thats a howler! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • backfootbackfoot Forumite
    2.7K posts
    All of them should be banned.

They don't even offer you their own cheapest product,never mind whether it stacks up in the market.

Utter nonsense. Basically whoever calls is trying to con you.

Flogging gas and electricity on the doorstep. How did we end up with this shambles.:(
  • MID7039MID7039 Forumite
    1 posts
    This is pretty obvious but here goes:

The top door to door energy salesmen earn around £80k-£100k. Does BG and the other energy providers think these individuals manage these sales levels through just being honest? mmmmm. Where does that £100k salary come from anyway? mmmmm, let me think!

If BG pulls out of door-to-door sales it won't be to protect their reputation. But then again, if my door-to-door sales team were becoming uneconomic then I would probably have said the same thing!
  • browncabrownca Forumite
    9 posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I lived in Portsmouth until recently, and we regularly had British Gas salesmen coming round asking to come in and read the meter (we were on npower at the time). Once they gain entry they then convince you into switching to BG using various lies. I know this because one time it happened I was out, my housemate signed up to switch us over and he wasn't even the billpayer! I put a No Cold Callers sign on the door but that didn't deter them as another one knocked again not long after. Presumably when they knock on the door of a little old lady who doesn't really understand they're being lied to, it helps BG to prop up their profits!

Tbh they sicken me. I'd never go with British Gas, ever ever again. Having said that, they could start by getting rid of door-to-door salesmen instead of just threatening it.
  • pixwixpixwix Forumite
    121 posts
    I don't have gas, but Scottish Gas used to supply me with electricity - same firm, as I found out any time I had a complaint - which was about once a month on everage. Over 5 years, I don't think I ever got an accurate bill, and their standing charges seemed to vary at whim.

When I sacked them, it took months get them to stop them sending me bills.

A while ago, for some reason, their salesmen seemed to be knocking on my door almost every week, trying to get me to switch back. I'm retired and disabled, and on on one visit by two of them, they were so overbearing and insistent I became alarmed enough to call the police. There's no possible way BG didn't know exactly what was going on with their salesmen - my own complaints alone must have filled a folder.

I'd light my house with candles before I'd ever deal with that firm again. Though it's certainly good news that their salesmen won't be round again.
  • broxis11broxis11 Forumite
    240 posts
    pixwix wrote: »
    I don't have gas, but Scottish Gas used to supply me with electricity - same firm, as I found out any time I had a complaint - which was about once a month on everage. Over 5 years, I don't think I ever got an accurate bill, and their standing charges seemed to vary at whim.

When I sacked them, it took months get them to stop them sending me bills.

A while ago, for some reason, their salesmen seemed to be knocking on my door almost every week, trying to get me to switch back. I'm retired and disabled, and on on one visit by two of them, they were so overbearing and insistent I became alarmed enough to call the police. There's no possible way BG didn't know exactly what was going on with their salesmen - my own complaints alone must have filled a folder.

I'd light my house with candles before I'd ever deal with that firm again. Though it's certainly good news that their salesmen won't be round again.

Scottish Gas don`t have standing charges.
    :money:
  • chrisjw37chrisjw37 Forumite
    75 posts
    I have three different Don't Call here notices and the MSE sign too.

Last week, some idiot from edf energy
    knocked and when I pointed out the signs and told him they were enforceable and his boss would be told if he didn't cease - he then still tried to sell me his stuff.

I pointed out he was born from inferior stock and must be stupid not to comprehend what I had just told him and then he tried again!

Jezus Wept!

These morons must be stopped, its the most hated thing in my life and 2nd are the idiots on the phones (also blocked).

The moral for these fools is:
    "If I want to buy something, I'll come to you. END"
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support