I'm eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge

Options

Comments

• Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

How do you do your stock inventory, how much time does it take, how often do you do it to feel in control?

The problems I have: I wrote a 7 page (both sides) of items. This was too long, too time consuming to do and maintain.
    I reduced it to 1-2 page but found it difficult to track the numbers of items I was running out of and stock turnover was static.

Help, tips and tricks gratefully received :)

Thank you.

I have a one page excel spreadsheet separated into coloured columns for fridge, freezer, cupboard & baking including use by dates and amount of each item. A fifth column has list of meals I can make from what I have in stock as well as regular meals I like.

I print it out each weekend updated with what I've used in the past week (I note on the printed out sheet as I use stuff) or anything new bought as I only tend to get the odd delivery, probably takes 10 mins max a week. Out of date stuff is highlighted in red and meals using these are at the top of the list to make first. It's been working really well to make me use things up and avoid duplicating buying stuff and I really feel I have things under tight control now!
    If you request it the library should be able to get it from their central collection, or even another library authority.

Oh can they, I will have to pay a visit and ask. I'd only checked the online catalogue for all the libraries in my borough. If I really like a book I then buy it but in the past I've had the odd book where no recipes worked (including a dread awful fairly well known lovely looking baking book) so was glad I borrowed it before buying :)

Out most of today so took bits and pieces with me and eaten out, nothing used here.
  • want2Bfrugal
    Options
    Kirri wrote: »
    I have a one page excel spreadsheet separated into coloured columns for fridge, freezer, cupboard & baking including use by dates and amount of each item. A fifth column has list of meals I can make from what I have in stock as well as regular meals I like.

I print it out each weekend updated with what I've used in the past week (I note on the printed out sheet as I use stuff) or anything new bought as I only tend to get the odd delivery, probably takes 10 mins max a week. Out of date stuff is highlighted in red and meals using these are at the top of the list to make first. It's been working really well to make me use things up and avoid duplicating buying stuff and I really feel I have things under tight control now!

Many thanks Kirri.
    I like spreadsheets and I had over complicated mine. It was not very efficient use of my time but with small adjustments it can be very easy and quick to use.

I love your idea of listing the meals and so will use it before you patent the idea :D I can also hyperlink recipes to try.

I see how using the list of meals will help keep the stock level reasonably accurate :T ; Saving whooping loads of time.

I do get regular deliveries but I can use the large receipt to update the spreadsheet. I see that this won't take me long and I can do this at the same time as I update the meals and update my money tracking app.

I think that I can save about 1-2hr of time and still feel in control.

'If you are not in the 'arena' also getting your a55 kicked then, I'm not interested in your feedback.' Thank you.
  • Jelly_Biactol
    Options
    Kirri wrote: »
    Oh can they, I will have to pay a visit and ask. I'd only checked the online catalogue for all the libraries in my borough.
    These are the guidelines for Suffolk Libraries but all library authorities should be similar
    http://suffolkreads.onesuffolk.net/how-to-join-and-use-the-library/reserve-request-or-suggest/
    At the very least the British Library will have a copy (it is one of the UK copyright libraries and so it's a legal obligation for it to receive a copy of every publication). There is usually a small charge to request a book from the British Library.
    'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.'
    Groucho Marx

• abbe89
    abbe89 Posts: 289 Forumite
    Options
    I've decided to move over here from the reduced food shopping thread as I've been doing too much of that recently and my freezer is full to bursting!

So I need to start working my way through all of the goodies I have frozen in there!

My aim is not to add anything to the freezer, unless I absolutely have to!

So, today, out of the freezer I've had:
    2 x crumpets
    1/2 portion of homecooked pulled pork which I had with some storecupboard rice

Positive start!! :)
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nothing too exciting today

Out:-
    1 portion steak and kidney, peas, puff pastry
    In:-
    YS bread and rolls, sausagemeat
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    Not been on for a few days as DH been in hospital and also mum fell so been looking after her as well.
    Have used a number of things up though - OUT of freezers
    Mushroom Soup
    Red pepper & tom soup
    Stewing beef
    Lamb stew
    Chorizo
    6 vol au vent cases

When I get round to reorganising the outside freezer I will have at least one whole empty shelf. (However have started to write a list for when go to the meat outlet we buy from)
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,930 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In to freezer - HM Linseed Bread.
    Out of freezer - YS steak.

We had HM TITH + roast potatoes + cabbage, carrots and gravy for dinner.
    [IMG][/img]Sundaysdinner_zps579525d7.jpg
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/351
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £51.35/£100 NSD - 77
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £312.42/£500
  • want2Bfrugal
    Options
    Out - three trout and some HM limoncello

Fridge - Pots and YS veg.

In - nothing - yippee.
    'If you are not in the 'arena' also getting your a55 kicked then, I'm not interested in your feedback.' Thank you.
  • sharond101
    Options
    What does "YS" stand for??
  • dawn1
    dawn1 Posts: 365 Forumite
    Options
    YS = yellow sticker = reduced food
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0066
    AMAZON CHALLENGE TO SELL BOOKS !
    JAN - 20 :) FEB - 11 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors