Help. Defrauded

Options

Comments

• Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    bris wrote: »
    Unfortunately the police will see it as a civil matter rather than criminal if they don't have any more cases to go on. They will only start to look at it criminaly if a few more people were to come forward.
    Op you have the bank details, email and phone number so you could as Darksun has said use a tracing agent to track the thief down. Type tracing agent into Google, there are a few who do a no trace no fee service.
    Good luck, I hope you find the swine.

No, this theft by deception, a criminal case.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • Flyboy152
    Options
    Tops1_09 wrote: »
    Although I'm reluctant to post as the situation I am in is entirely a result of my own stupidity, I have reached a point where I really am looking for help wherever I can find it. I recently purchased an item advertised on the 'Preloved' website for £900. Having exchanged emails, texts and calls with the seller and having seen photos of the item, I transferred funds into his bank account. The seller has now disappeared, and is not contactable by phone or email. I also have his address, which though I know is genuine, seems useless as he has done a flit from here also. I have contacted the police, who don't seem to be able to help, as well as my bank, who say nothing can be done for a month after the initial transfer. Any suggestions ( rather than admonishments) would be genuinely appreciated.

What are they going to do during this month?
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    Why are the police so quick to say cases like this are civil? Surely it's theft or obtaining money by deception, or fraud or some such criminal activity.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • Flyboy152
    Options
    Why are the police so quick to say cases like this are civil? Surely it's theft or obtaining money by deception, or fraud or some such criminal activity.

I don't think they really do that often, it is just some perceptions that too many people have.
  • Equaliser123
    Equaliser123 Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    Options
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    I don't think they really do that often, it is just some perceptions that too many people have.

Totally disagree. It's my experience from 5 or 6 personal experiences and from dozens of situations (including those on here!) recounted to me.
  • Flyboy152
    Options
    Totally disagree. It's my experience from 5 or 6 personal experiences and from dozens of situations (including those on here!) recounted to me.

Perhaps you have been unlucky. Because, in my experience, the police have been very helpful.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    The police often perceive a one-off case like this as a civil matter, because it appears to them as one party to a contract failing to keep to their side of the said contract.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    Options
    I know this might sound stupid or simple but have you tried typing his number into google ? it could be that he has done this to more then one person.
    Does BT do a reverse phone book thing ? In the states you can type a number into something like the pink pages and it will come up with an address and name. I am not sure if it works over here but could be worth a look.

Shame the police wouldn't help but living where I do I am not suprized really, I am never sure what it is they do do.
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • Equaliser123
    Equaliser123 Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    Options
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    Perhaps you have been unlucky. Because, in my experience, the police have been very helpful.

I think that's the point. It's not just me.

The fact that the OP has had no joy perhaps illustrates this.
  • Flyboy152
    Options
    The police often perceive a one-off case like this as a civil matter, because it appears to them as one party to a contract failing to keep to their side of the said contract.

I find a little persuasion is a helpful thing. A chat with a senior officer, pointing out relevant legislation and why you feel it is a criminal matter, often helps. Perhaps a trip down to your local CAB, or a call to your household/car insurer's legal cover help line will be of use as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure