Help. Defrauded

Options
Although I'm reluctant to post as the situation I am in is entirely a result of my own stupidity, I have reached a point where I really am looking for help wherever I can find it. I recently purchased an item advertised on the 'Preloved' website for £900. Having exchanged emails, texts and calls with the seller and having seen photos of the item, I transferred funds into his bank account. The seller has now disappeared, and is not contactable by phone or email. I also have his address, which though I know is genuine, seems useless as he has done a flit from here also. I have contacted the police, who don't seem to be able to help, as well as my bank, who say nothing can be done for a month after the initial transfer. Any suggestions ( rather than admonishments) would be genuinely appreciated.

Comments

• amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,006 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I am sorry to hear this, this is disgusting how one human being can do this to another and £900 is a lot of money.
    I have no practical advice on what you can do, but i am sure the guys and gals on here will be able to guide you.
  • Darksun
    Darksun Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    I assume you made the payment by a BACS transfer? Unfortunatly you have very little protection here, all you can do is hope the police are able to trace him. If you were able to locate him then you can persue a civil claim to recover your money.

You could also look into employing a debt tracing/recovery agency to see if they could track him down, but again no guarentee and this could well be so costly it wouldn't be worth it
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    If you can't trace the crook, your options are limited indeed. I would suspect your cash may be long gone and spent, and unless you can find the thief and he still has the money it may be an expensive lesson. Sorry to hear it, and it is disappointing that these scummy cowards are out there.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 June 2011 at 12:14PM
    Options
    How dreadful!

If I was you I would sit in a police station and refuse to move until they take it seriously! You have been defrauded, it is a criminal offense -- simple as that!!!

But recovering the cash will be a whole different story. You could begin court proceedings at his address, he will not show up to court, you will get the judgement --- then enforcing it will likely be near impossible!!!
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Unfortunately the police will see it as a civil matter rather than criminal if they don't have any more cases to go on. They will only start to look at it criminaly if a few more people were to come forward.
    Op you have the bank details, email and phone number so you could as Darksun has said use a tracing agent to track the thief down. Type tracing agent into Google, there are a few who do a no trace no fee service.
    Good luck, I hope you find the swine.
  • Tops1_09
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their advice. I'm fairly resigned to the fact that I won't see my money again. It's fairly soul destroying to realize that you really can't trust anyone! Not sure if its worth trying to serve a CCJ on his old address and then use any ruling to pursue him for the debt through a recovery agency. Would feel good to do something!!
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dont waste more money on a lost cause it will do your health no good
    If the house was within 60 odd miles away i would turn up and ask all the neighbours if any knew where he might have moved to.
    Find if it was a private landlord and see if he had any other details on him,see if he was a local guy and then do a 192.com see if any relations come up ,go to the council website that has lists of birth marriages deaths and find his parents etc etc
    Lots to keep you occupied if you want to do it
    I had a car stolen 20 years ago,spent 10 hours in a strange city following snippets of information but i got my man.

Ive also been ripped by a few people over the years who i trusted to sniff my hard earned wallet so im still learning and thats the most important thing,dont let it make you a torn and twisted person:)
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to give Gatehouse a call. ;)
  • mandyl
    mandyl Posts: 806 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    the police should help, i was involved with similiar and it was much less money.
    try them again and say you demand something is done.
    or as suggested if its within reason turn up at the adress, or go small claim court?
    bsc 347:j
  • Equaliser123
    Equaliser123 Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    Options
    mandyl wrote: »
    the police should help, i was involved with similiar and it was much less money.
    try them again and say you demand something is done.
    or as suggested if its within reason turn up at the adress, or go small claim court?

a) Police are invariably useless in situations like this. "Civil matter, sir, nothing we can do". Absolute nonsense but getting the average copper interested is like trying to push water up hill.

b) Small claims - waste of money if OP doesn't know where the guy is. This is a slippery person and enforcement is going to be extremely difficult.

OP - feel for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport