One day at a time

Options
Although I was using my SOA as a diary, I am fed up of seeing the sad face on the thread title and given the changes that have been made I'm starting a new happy thread.

So after getting no responses to job application I have now been asked to attend 2 interviews and they are both for jobs I want to do and know I am perfect for. The problem is I get very nervous in interviews and not very good at selling myself.

So today is interview number 1 - the first in over 4 years and I feel so sick, but I know that I am well prepared for it, me and OH have spent the last few days practising and last night he did a full interview on me which he said I did well in. He has recently been doing interviews for new staff at his work so he should know what he is talking about. I have done my research on the company, got my outfit sorted and done a trial run of the journey so I know how long it will take. All I now need to do is keep calm until 3pm. Feeling a bit tired today as my mad cat had one of his nights and kept waking us up - really annoying as he has been perfect the last few nights.

I have a terrible habit of imagine what things will be like after something has happened and in this case all I am focussing on is how much better our life would be if I got the job and could start straight away. As we have cut back so that my OH wages cover outgoings and minimum debt repayments, anything I earn can go straight on the debts and by the end of the year we should be able to pay off both OD's, but this is dependant on me getting a job so I have to stop thinking of this as I knwo that I will then be so upset if I don't get it. It's hard to be positive about the job without getting my hopes up too much.

As for everything else debt wise, well OH has another DJ job on saturday and had a deposit for another job he is doing so we are getting extra money coming in, also we have a rewards scheme on our CC which I had forgotten about, but last night having got my statement which I actually opened straight away for the first time in ages and saw the points. We logged onto the bank internet banking and were able to order £215 of shopping vouchers - some will be used for everyday things, but we have ordered some larger value ones as well, which will be saved for buying xmas presents :jCan't believe how organised I am getting.

Well thats enough rambling on for now, I'm off to spend a little bit of time going over a few points for the interview, than gonna forget about it and relax!

Hope all are doing well on their debt free journey and I'll be back later to say how the interview went.
June £25 a day 850.94/750 :beer:
July £15 a day 220/465
LBM - 26/5/11 - Debt £33,739.62 :eek: Now -£32,893.20

Nifty Thrifty weightloss July 0/10lbs 0/£1,500

Comments

• Emzilla
    Emzilla Posts: 3,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Sparkerly

Best of luck for your interview. I hope it goes really well.

Emz xx
  • rdchick
    rdchick Posts: 1,815 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    *subcribed*

Weee hello!!!

You and me are so alike - I do the same - imagine how things will be once something has happened - which is a good thing and a bad thing as I take disappointment really badly lol! I'm sure you'll be super, you sound really prepared so that's half the battle won!!

I wish you all the luck in the world honeybunch - I'm sure you'll be awesome!
    xxx
    Life is too short not to love what you do.
  • Sparkerly
    Sparkerly Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    well I'm not too sure how it went today - the interview was over very quickly so I don't know if that is a good sign or not. They said it was just a first meeting and was informal and the next interview would be with the actual manager. They are interviewing today and tomorrow so I will know the beginning of next week if I'm getting through to the next stage. I know I gave all the information that was needed and sold myself and that the job is pretty much the same as what I have done in the past, just in a retail rather than a finance environment. Well I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it went well.

Haven't really had much time to think about it as when I got back I was meant to take the kids to the pet shop, instead my DS informed me that we needed to go to A&E as she hurt her finger playing netball. Luckily they were really quick at the hospital and we were out within half hour with the news that she has broken her finger - something I did twice at her age. Now we have to go bck tomorrow morning for the fracture clinic and I know from experience with DS that this is likely to take a lot longer.

Pleased the day is over and I am tucked up in bed as my head is pounding and I need a good sleep.

Night all
    July £15 a day 220/465

• Itsadogslife_2
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your daughters finger, I used to play netball when I was younger, I had more injuries than guys on a football pitch.

Hope the interview went well, keeping everything crossed for you :D
    Just keep swimming!
  • Sparkerly
    Options
    Good morning all - it's OH payday today :j so today I can look at where we are and if we are less in debt than at LB moment. Going to check once a month on the improvemnets on his payday rather than everyday as I get a little disappointed if I don't see an improvement.

I have however realised that I haven't properly introduced myself, so here goes.

I am 37 and currently unemployed, but actively looking. I am married with two teenage children, my daughter is 15 and is in her first year of GCSE's and has already taken some of the modules, and so far has got fantastic grades. My son is 13 and is a typical boy - he would much rather play on computers/games consoles than do homework so it is a constant battle with him. I know he is very bright like his sister, but just lacks the commitments to school. My OH and I have been married for 16 years and with the kids growing up fast we are enjoying going out together a lot more. We also have two cats that we re-homed earlier this year. They are 9 and 14 and the 9yo has one hell of a temper when he gets grumpy whereas the 14yo is a complete softie, but also a little mad. He spends most of the day asleep and not doing much than at nighttime wakes up and runs up and down the stairs at breakneck speed, then jumps on the bed miaowing and pawing us for attention. We tried keeping the door shut, but he just scratchers at the door miaowing even louder.

Our debts have come about from living the high life and not cutting back on expenses when I gave up work. We have had a lot of lovely holidays abroad in the last couple of years and they always had to be all-inclusive and 4 or 5 star rated. With the kids at a private school, it was easy to try and keep up with all their friends who are rich and I am embarassed to say that they were spoilt - if they wanted something they got it :o

However, I have now learnt that living within our means is more important than what other people think. Since joining here we have given up a lot of things, but strangely are much happier as we do more things together as a family and we no longer have the stresses we used to have.

It was my dad's birthday on friday and with fathers day around the same time it usually an expensive time, but this year I gave him a present that didn't cost much, but had a lot of time and effort put in on my part and he really appreciated it, in fac the loved it and it was the best feeling in the world. We also went out to lunch with the whole family yesterday and we had saved cash from our car boot sale so nothing went on the OD which was great as it almost felt like a free meal, had the money been paid into the account I know we would have spent it and handing over cash is a great feeling.

So have we made any inroads into the debts this month - YES :j Our debts have reduced by £846.42 this month, of which £440.16 was on secured debts with set repayments, and the rest was paid off of the CC and OD's. Given how much we made this month it should have been much better, but I did find bills in the region of £800 that I had forgotten (decided not to pay) about and they have now also been paid so effectively we reduced our debts by over £1600 and that makes me very happy.

So my main problem now is how to stay focussed for the whole month (I count our month from payday to payday) as at the beginning of the month I am so focussed, nothing gets spent that shouldn't but as we get nearer to payday and I see there is money left in the account - well not money, but available credit on the OD - my resolve goes and I think well we have done so well we deserve a treat.

Must get on - got a house that needs a good tidy and it won't do it itself.
    July £15 a day 220/465

• rdchick
    rdchick Posts: 1,815 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wee Sparkerly you're doing super! try not to get too disheartened about your payments - just think it's better than before and you're another payday closer to being debt free :) xxx
    Life is too short not to love what you do.
  • Sparkerly
    Options
    OMG in a bit of shock as I had been checking my e-mails all day waiting to hear if I had a second interview for the job I went to the interview for on thursday, but didn't get any e-mails. So was thinking the worse, but just had a phonecall and they want to see me again on Friday :j:j:j

Can't quite believe it as I tend to be very negative about my own abilities and as the first interview only lasted 20 mins I wasn't holding out much hopw, even though I knew I was perfect for the job. Going to be a long week waiting for the interview but that gives me lots of prep time.
    July £15 a day 220/465

• Emzilla
    Emzilla Posts: 3,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sparkerly wrote: »
    OMG in a bit of shock as I had been checking my e-mails all day waiting to hear if I had a second interview for the job I went to the interview for on thursday, but didn't get any e-mails. So was thinking the worse, but just had a phonecall and they want to see me again on Friday :j:j:j

Can't quite believe it as I tend to be very negative about my own abilities and as the first interview only lasted 20 mins I wasn't holding out much hopw, even though I knew I was perfect for the job. Going to be a long week waiting for the interview but that gives me lots of prep time.

Congratulations on getting a second interview :T:T:T:T.

Will keep my fingers crossed for you on Friday :).

Emz xx
  • loveGSDs
    loveGSDs Posts: 317 Forumite
    Options
    hi sparkerly!

thats fantastic news, well done

im going to subscribe to your thread - was following your last one also

good luck for friday

xx
    Moved into dream house - 17/08/12 :D
    Savings - £600
    Xmas 2013 - £43
    Credit card - £2741 :eek:
  • needingaccountability
    Options
    Great news, wish you well.
    LBM April 2011 £4906

:j:j DEBT FREE 4th NOVEMBER 2011 :j:j
    Clothes Challenge 2011 £60.24/£200
    Virtual sealed pot #136 - £1.60 Sealed pot # 1365 Nectar card - £8.80 Overdraft £0.00
    Do I need it? Can I afford it? Is it cheaper elsewhere?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure