Advice with claim against HFC bank

Options
Hi

I have been attempting to make a PPI claim against HFC bank since approximately 2008, but without success. I was mis-sold as I was told that it was a requirement of the loan and if it wasn't taken out then I would have to re-apply for a different loan. There are 2 parts to this that I could do with some advice with.

I have sent several letters over the last couple of years, some probably to the wrong address as they were closing down and moving around, but this time I requested information under my statutary right (paying £2 for the priveledge for each account) from the head office address I found via MSE.

So, 1st, in 2001 approx. I took out a personal loan with HFC which included a lump-sum PPI. This was (IIRC) over 5 years. I tried to claim back my PPI in 2008 (using a form I believe I found on here) by writing to my local branch, but this claim was knocked back by their then head office (on the basis that as I had paid back the loan early - via another loan with them - my PPI premium had already been discounted). At the time I thought that was it and never saved the paperwork. HFC (well, now Beneficial) have said they no longer have any details on this loan as it was closed over 6 years ago, even though I can provide them with my account number.

So, where do I stand with this and (if I can) how do I progress a claim?

Secondly, my wife and I took out a homeowner secured loand with them in June 2004 (part of which was used to pay off my original personal loan). I paid a MONTHLY premium for PPI. We paid this loan off in 2007.

However, the single page signed agreement they have sent me a copy of shows no details of the insurance we were sold or the monthly premium we paid, only the loan installment (IIRC the PPI premium was arounf £40 on the advance of £20000).

Again, where do we stand with with and (if I can) how do I progress a claim?

I am not afraid of getting stuck in with the paperwork, I am just struggling with understanding where we go next.

Thanks all

Adrian

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Adrian

At first, did they send you a final decision?
    In the final decision, they will let you know if you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) or not. Then you have 6 months as from the date on the final letter to complain to the FOS.

If not then maybe you could pursue this again and use the address I have below in regards of HFC, even if moved I understand its still the same address unless someone else says different.

So if no final decision, complete the reclaim questionnaire below - step 3 send to the address below, and keep copies as well, allow 8 weeks for a decision.

HFC Bank Limited,
    PO Box 5207,
    Coventry,
    CV3 9FB

As shown here.
    http://www.hfcbank.co.uk/html/payment_insurance.html
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • yorkiepudd
    yorkiepudd Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    I think it did mention about being a final decision, but this would only have been about the original loan for which I paid a single premium PPI. However, they are saying they have no details of anything to do with this loan any further. The link you provided is invaluable (dont know why I never managed to find it lol) so I am going to go ahead and file another claim anyway and see what happens. At the worst, they are going to have to do the work and possibly say "no dice".
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    yorkiepudd wrote: »
    I think it did mention about being a final decision, but this would only have been about the original loan for which I paid a single premium PPI. However, they are saying they have no details of anything to do with this loan any further. The link you provided is invaluable (dont know why I never managed to find it lol) so I am going to go ahead and file another claim anyway and see what happens. At the worst, they are going to have to do the work and possibly say "no dice".

Hiya

Well I would certainly give it a go anyway.
    LOL don't worry, I had to get into Customer Services to find the details, it was not actually shown on any contact on their website as such, so I had to click into this to get to that if you know what I mean LOL.;)

Good luck though and please keep us posted, you never know -with dealing with the other may work on the previous one hopefully, fingers crossed.
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you proof of the ppi payment on the secured loan? if you have you need to claim with your reasons and enclose proof of this.

The first loan, you would have had a rebate of ppi on when you refinanced this with the 2nd loan, ppi will still have been carried over onto the 2nd loan as the discount they gave you will not have been a lot, so you need to put a claim in for that too.
    All you need are the account numbers.

Good luck with this.
  • KIMY
    KIMY Posts: 417 Forumite
    Options
    I would go for it, l have a claim against HFC with the adjuicator at the present time, l was in same situation as you and when l requested a SAR they stated they had no records as all destroyed. I know 2 weeks previous one of there Customer Service ladies gave me all info over the phone as she advised me this was all on the system. I honestly did not think FOS would take this on as l have all info but no paper trail but they have. Yesterday my adjuicator called me and said they had done research and matched up my details to a sample PPI that was sold in 2003 and they where going with this.
    Be honest l dont hold much hope but really want to see HFC have to pay for there deceiving way they conduct themselves to ensure they dont have to pay out.
    I have also emailed CEO of HSBC as they have taken over acquisition of HFC to advise him the way they conduct themselves.
    May not do any good but makes me feel better.
  • iwantahome
    iwantahome Posts: 329 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Kimy,

Can you please tell us what you put in your email? I think I'm at the stage of emailing the CEO too. I'm sick of being fobbed off by clueless call centres workers who refuse to give me any information other than "it is still on hold due to the judicial review" or "we are working on a backlog and your case is still open". They are refusing to give me the contact details of anyone slightly above them, apparently in the 21st century HFC still have not moved onto email, and no one slightly higher up knows how to answer a phone or communicate with people.

I have heard nothing at all from them since I sent my complaint off in February, apart from being told "there is no further information" when I've made the effort to phone them. HSBC really need to do something about these cowboys, they are giving an extremely bad representation of the whole group.

rant over.
    DFD: 23/12/2010
  • KIMY
    KIMY Posts: 417 Forumite
    Options
    I stated in my email my concerns with regards the way there Customer Service department conducted themselves and also gave him some history of my complaint explaining that they had made it quite apparent they where not been honest.
    I have received a reply stating they will investigate and that is more than l got back from HFC.
    Go for it as long as you dont let your feelings get the better of you and state all facts in a proffessional and courteous manner maybe he will be able to help you.
    Good luck
    :)
  • yorkiepudd
    Options
    Ok, thanks to Di3004 I have got all the paperwork filled in and the official complaint for both agreements are in the post today.

Thanks also to everyone else who has offered advice.

I will update this accordingly in the hope that it may also help others with their claims.

Once again, thanks.
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Good luck, fingers and everything else crossed xxx.
  • yorkiepudd
    Options
    OK, since I sent in the paperwork (which was sent recorded delivery and was signed for by HSBC) I have heard nothing, no aknowledgement of receiving the forms even.

Is 4 weeks a reasonable length of time does one think? Or should I give them longer? Also, if I don't receive a reply, ehat is my next step?

Cheers everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport