Lloyds TSB is the best?

Options
Hello,
I was researching UK’s best premium banking (excluding private banking) and I can’t find anything better than Lloyds. CitiBank Gold, HSBC Premier and First Direct with the ‘first directory’ accounts offers pretty bad travel insurance products with only up to 30 days coverage and numerous exemptions spreading over 52 pages of T&C (FD) with many loopholes from both sides! Lloyds Premier Travel Insurance covers for longer (62 days per trip) and for higher age limit, i.e., up to 80. Lloyds is also the only provider which has some inconsiderable interest paid to current accounts with Vantage up to £17-19 per month and around £10 from June 2011. But Lloyds is the only one bank from the above list which charges for overseas ATM withdrawal, all others charge only a conversion fee. Premier banking with Lloyds cost £25 or £10-15 (account fee – monthly paid interest) almost as much as First Direct but with considerably more services and better value, so Lloyds is the best? Any other players?

Comments

• simax
    simax Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lloyds TSB are the best?!?!? Best of a bad bunch, possibly...
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • Saints2011
    Saints2011 Posts: 933 Forumite
    Options
    Mikhail wrote: »
    Hello,
    I was researching UK’s best premium banking (excluding private banking) and I can’t find anything better than Lloyds. CitiBank Gold, HSBC Premier and First Direct with the ‘first directory’ accounts offers pretty bad travel insurance products with only up to 30 days coverage and numerous exemptions spreading over 52 pages of T&C (FD) with many loopholes from both sides! Lloyds Premier Travel Insurance covers for longer (62 days per trip) and for higher age limit, i.e., up to 80. Lloyds is also the only provider which has some inconsiderable interest paid to current accounts with Vantage up to £17-19 per month and around £10 from June 2011. But Lloyds is the only one bank from the above list which charges for overseas ATM withdrawal, all others charge only a conversion fee. Premier banking with Lloyds cost £25 or £10-15 (account fee – monthly paid interest) almost as much as First Direct but with considerably more services and better value, so Lloyds is the best? Any other players?

Well im with Lloyds as I have to be, BUT I wouldnt change :o
    Can I find out my credit score?
    You do not have a single credit score or rating. Different organisations take different information into account when working out your credit score and may have different scores for different products. (Kindly from Experian)
  • iereboy
    iereboy Posts: 415 Forumite
    Options
    Simax, if they are that bad, why do you keep praying for an upgrade?

Just leave them!
  • simax
    Options
    iereboy wrote: »
    Simax, if they are that bad, why do you keep praying for an upgrade?

Just leave them!

Eh? What? I left them, went to Santander, moved back to Lloyds TSB. Since then, I've just run the account as Silver (don't even have Vantage), and don't want anything more than that.

I stopped praying a LONG time ago.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • Mikhail
    Mikhail Posts: 261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sooo Lloyds Premier is the best one?
    By the way do they give premier accounts to everyone or pretend that it is only for selected costumers and give it anyway?
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    I dont have any problems with them, been with them for ever....pay my little account fee but dont pay for holiday or AA cover, happy enough.
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    By the way do they give premier accounts to everyone or pretend that it is only for selected costumers and give it anyway?

Well when I opened my account with them and initially I couldn't upgrade to gold / platinum / premier.

Then one day, once I'd held the account for ~ 18 months, I could have a £3,000 OD and Gold / Platinum / Premier; the offers just materialised one day.

Does seem to be based on account conduct and turnover.
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    First Directory isn't an account, it's an additional service that you pay for if you already have a first direct account. If you just have a 1st account with FD and have one if the other qualifying accounts, you don't pay any charges for your account, you can then add on First Directory if you want to pay extra to take advantage of the services it offers.
  • Lith
    Lith Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wouldn't say Lloyds TSB are the best but they are not the crappiest,

Don't know who decides which is the best bank in the UK because it clearly isn't Lloyds TSB.. then again i don't believe there is a 'Best UK Bank' it just goes down with customers and there own opinions/views.
    HSBC (Main A/C)
    Halifax Back up A/C
    Lloyds (Spending) A/C
    RBS Back up A/C
    Barclays Old A/C
    Nationwide Old A/C
  • simax
    Options

No it is credit scored.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure