Remote computing

Options
dori2o
dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I'd like to be able to view/access files on my PC from work, but I cannot install any software on the works PC, neither can I load the files I want to use onto a usb drive as we cannot put anything into the usb slots or even put a disk into the cd drive.

Can anyone suggest a) if this is possible without installing software, and b) if so what is the best (free) program to use.

Thanks
[SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
[/SIZE]

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    no....

and

no ....

and if work policies are that tight then probably sackable offence
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Cash-Cow_3
    Cash-Cow_3 Posts: 311 Forumite
    Options
    If you have a smart phone then you could install dropbox on your pc and phone. It's not on your work's pc but at least you can view the files.
    I'm retiring at 55. You can but dream.
  • CaitSith
    CaitSith Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Check out LogMeIn.Com you can install the application on the PC you want to access, then log in to your account from work via your web browser and choose what PC you want to control. works perfectly.
  • steve1980
    steve1980 Posts: 2,334 Forumite
    Options
    CaitSith wrote: »
    Check out LogMeIn.Com you can install the application on the PC you want to access, then log in to your account from work via your web browser and choose what PC you want to control. works perfectly.

The OP can't install anything at work. Dropbox is your best option. No need to install anything as you upload via the website.
    Estate Agent, Web Designer & All Round Geek!
  • stilltheone
    stilltheone Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Options
    Team Viewer Portable Version. No installation necessary.
  • CaitSith
    Options
    steve1980 wrote: »
    The OP can't install anything at work. Dropbox is your best option. No need to install anything as you upload via the website.

You dont need to install anything on the work PC, just have access to a web browser, the application is installed on the home PC
  • asbokid
    asbokid Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    edited 31 May 2011 at 9:36PM
    Options
    dori2o wrote: »
    I'd like to be able to view/access files on my PC from work, but

I cannot install any software on the works PC,

neither can I load the files I want to use onto a usb drive
    as we cannot put anything into the usb slots
    or even put a disk into the cd drive.

Can anyone suggest a) if this is possible without installing software, and b) if so what is the best (free) program to use.

Thanks

no suggestions, but it does illustrate how few network tools are provided with windows by default..

by contrast, there are loads of different tools shipped by default in a linux distribution that could be used for your job.. ftp, sftp, netcat, etc..

one possible workaround is to download an FTP, TELNET or SSH/SFTP Java applet in your browser, and connect to an FTP, TELNET or SSH/SFTP daemon that you have set up and left running on your home PC.

The above would only work if your office hasn't locked down the browser, and hasn't forbidden you from local write access to the file system. Bit of a convoluted way around, even if it is allowed.

What do you want access for? Could you just get a smartphone or a netbook with 3G, and use that instead? Save all the grief. I've got a couple of ssh/telnet/ftp/sftp clients for Blackberry so there must be Android versions as well.

The more involved part will be setting up an sftpd server on your PC. In Linux it is easy. For Windows, there are commercial ssh/sftp servers but they cost money..There is also a free ssh/sftp server that relies on the Cygwin libraries. It works okay but was a pain to set up when I last used it.
  • KillerWatt
    KillerWatt Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Options
    As per CaitSith's post,

Install RealVNC server on your home machine, and you can access it from any web browser on any PC located anywhere in the world.
    Remember kids, it's the volts that jolt and the mills that kill.
  • CaitSith
    Options
    KillerWatt wrote: »
    As per CaitSith's post,

Install RealVNC server on your home machine, and you can access it from any web browser on any PC located anywhere in the world.

VNC is good, i use this at home for connecting to other machines, but problems when trying to access from an external internet connection, you would need to set up port forwarding on your router to enable this. :)
  • easyhost
    easyhost Posts: 424 Forumite
    Options
    well if the OP cant install anything on his work computer or use a USB in the works computer then i dare say looking at his own PC through the works computer will also be banned too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure