Benefits and loans help ?

Options
Gibbo_87
Gibbo_87 Posts: 23 Forumite
my driving ban is lifted 3rd june but i have to pay for my medical test and some to the dvla for a new licence....but the jobcentre will not let me have a loan for this because its not a living exspense and i cant get a budgeting loan because i havent been on benefits long enough...the money that i do get from benefits is all payed out on rent and my food shopping so there is no way i could save this atall...if i had my licence back i could get straight back into work quicker than i could blink but due to them being early starts and a few miles away there is no public transport what so ever...ive also looked into car share but everybody seems to come from the opposite way to me so its not an option tbh...is there any where else i could look for this loan ?? the loan needs to be £200 and would pay it back as much as i can just so i could get back into work:D

Thanks G

Comments

• cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    Why were you banned from driving? Was it because of your own actions? Taking your logic, people on JSA should have driving lessons funded for them as having a driving licence will enable them to get a job quicker. If you can't afford the test and licence reissue fee, how can you afford insurance/tax/fuel/MOT/servicing etc?

You knew the date your ban was being lifted so you should have economised in other areas and saved for this.

I have given up my car as got a monthly bus pass for £52. Waking up at 4am each morning for early shifts or not getting home til after 11pm when I finish work at 10pm is annoying when it would take 15 minutes in a car but I recognised I could not afford the insurance or the fuel. Maybe you can reconcile yourself to this fact too?
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    How will you afford to buy a car (and pay the very high post ban insurance) if you cannot afford £200 for your licence?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I could imagine you having been banned will be a bit of a barrier to employers too.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you sign up to your local freecycle/freegle groups, you might be lucky and get a bike for free. This would let you get away without getting a loan, save up the money that you need in order to get back on the road. You might want to check out your new insurance rate for driving if you've been banned.

My son IS working, and has resigned himself to riding his bike to and from work, up and down hills, windy country roads - as there is also no public transport to it, and doesn't want to get into debt for car costs, maintenance, insurance, tax etc. - would rather wait till he had the money behind him. It certainly didn't stop him from accepting a job where he has a one hour hilly bike ride to and from work each day though.
  • Gibbo_87
    Options
    i didnt relise it was this year thought it was next and the dvla just randomly sent me a letter sayin this...i have a car already which is taxed an motd just in a lock up...i dont have to retake my test again just have to have a medical test which is £90 an then £90 to dvla aswel....muum has said shel put me on her insurance if i get my licence sorted until i have done a couple weeks work to get my own deposit for my own insurance...ive considered pedal bikes but its to far and along motorways which cud cost me my life so i wont be doing that ...i also have a motorbike but its not a onroad bike but cant seem to sell it either ...i didnt come on here to get lectured i simply asked for some info or help if there was anywhere that can help with me with a loan...

Thanks G
  • Gibbo_87
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    I could imagine you having been banned will be a bit of a barrier to employers too.

aint driving work so not a problem :T
  • cifpower
    Options
    The law on car insurance changes on 20 June. If you are the registered keeper of a car, have no insurance and have not completed a SORN declaration you will be issued with a fixed penalty notice of £100.
  • Gibbo_87
    Options
    cifpower wrote: »
    The law on car insurance changes on 20 June. If you are the registered keeper of a car, have no insurance and have not completed a SORN declaration you will be issued with a fixed penalty notice of £100.

cars not on a public place so no worries there and its taxed
  • cifpower
    Options
    It does not matter if it is still taxed. You must complete a SORN if not insured or else you will be fined. You will have to return the tax disc, ask for a partial refund, declare your car off the road and keep it on private land.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696
  • Gibbo_87
    Options
    good job you can insure a car then even without a licence then aint it realy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure