planning trip to Las Vegas

Options
I am planning a trip for myself and the misses a trip to Vegas next year (2012)

Ok, lets start at the beginning.

What I would like to know is what we need before we travel, eg travel documents, apart from passports. Where do we get these if more than passport needed.

When is the best time to travel, wifey loves to sun bathe so needs lots of sun and a pool.

where can we get a good deal? maybe 7 to 10 days possibly all inclusive, or hotel room only.

We are looking for full package, thats flight transfers and hotel.

hotel recommends

basic costs of time in Vegas, eg, costs of meals, drinks shows etc.

looking for hotel close to all the sights, so Im thinking on Vegas strip.

Any othe rinfo to be considered.

Cheers.
All the big powers they've silenced me. So much for free speech and choice on this fundamental human right, and outing the liars.

Comments

• ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    have a look here....not really an all-inclusive sort of place - unless you want a hotel with an all day buffet package...which is going to get old quickly.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2952818
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • JustWonderful
    Options
    Went to Vegas last year, and had an amazing time.

Would not reccomend All Inclusive- you're in Vegas! Go to the different hotels, experience the Crepes in Paris, eat at the top of the world in the rotating restaurant at Stratosphere, go to the Bellagio and then have dinner and show at the Tournament of the Kings. Don't limit youtself to just one place.

I went for 5 nights, and by the end of it that was enough for me- it depends on what you want to do; you could spend 5 days in Vegas, then move to California for a week, or just spend two weeks in Vegas.

Vegas can be as cheap as you want it to be or as expensive- I went for the cheaper option; stayed at Circus Circus which is a perfectly acceptable hotel and is on the strip so is easy to get to the other hotels/experiences. It is the same for shows- you can pre-book 5* tickets to see the Blue Man group or Lion King or you could do what I did and go on one of those timeshare meetings- it takes about 3 hours, but we got 2 free tickets to see the Lion King, 2 free tickets to see Tournament of the Kings and a $50 gambling voucher. Especially if you are there for a week-2 weeks it is worth it- just dont sign anything!!

Vegas is hot all year round really, obviously I would avoid Summer Holidays though.

If you want any more help just PM :)
  • urbancookie1
    urbancookie1 Posts: 651 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly apply for your ESTA do it online, if you cant get that then you wont be allowed in.
    My mind tends to wander............If found please return;)

I can spell...................I just cant type:confused:
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Vegas is hot all year round really, obviously I would avoid Summer Holidays though.

Vegas isn't hot all year round. They had snow 2 years ago and many of the regulars won't go before April as it's too cold.

It won't be warm enough to sunbathe between November and the end of April when most of the pools are closed.

There are much better hotels in a far better location than Circus Circus for a few dollars more if you book direct. However they look ridiculously more expensive when priced on a UK site.

Check the page ferf linked to then come back with new questions from that.
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    It is the same for shows- you can pre-book 5* tickets to see the Blue Man group or Lion King or you could do what I did and go on one of those timeshare meetings- it takes about 3 hours, but we got 2 free tickets to see the Lion King, 2 free tickets to see Tournament of the Kings and a $50 gambling voucher. Especially if you are there for a week-2 weeks it is worth it- just dont sign anything!!

It's all relative to what someone thinks their time is worth - but we've been to Vegas nearly 20 times and still haven't done a time share presentation - just not worth it to us...with all the discounts available online for many shows booked in advance, the savings comes down quite a bit. I can see if someone is on a really tight budget, or really, really wants to save money...but 3 hours is a lot of time to us...and we've probably spent 140+ nights in Vegas. And some of the presentations can be really pushy especially when they find out you had no intention of buying - I've read of people not being taken back to their hotel for hours before.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • silkyuk9
    silkyuk9 Posts: 2,815 Forumite
    Options
    ferf1223 wrote: »
    have a look here....not really an all-inclusive sort of place - unless you want a hotel with an all day buffet package...which is going to get old quickly.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2952818

Ive had a browse through that thread but its mind bending. To be honest we are looking for a nice hotel, somwhere close and somewhere safe! easy access from hotel to airport as Im not bothered about hiring a car. so lets say at a budget of around £450 to £500 each for flight plus hotel for around 5 to 7 nights stay. Month is important as wife loves a bit of sun so a few rays during the day and a pool.

As never been to US before I have to consider spends also. Generally when we go to Spain or Greece etc we generally spend around £50 to £70 a day however thats not including food as we go all inclusive.

So what are the costs of meals over there? Not bothered about dining in exclusive places every day, maybe a burger or something light during the day and on an evening maybe a nice restaurant every other evening and maybe a diner or place like pizza hut on few other evenings.

Any help would be great.
    All the big powers they've silenced me. So much for free speech and choice on this fundamental human right, and outing the liars.
  • alisonofagun
    Options
    obviously I would avoid Summer Holidays though.

I disagree - I went in August last year and it was great. Perhaps not so brill if you don't like the heat but he says wife wants to sunbathe... I have no idea what the temp was, yes it was HOTTTTT but I didn't find it uncomfortable; the air is so dry that your sweat evaporates before you even notice it so no sticky hot feeling like you get in Spain or wherever. Vegas is a looooong way to go if all you want to do is sunbathe though! :)
  • shinhead
    shinhead Posts: 106 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    hi

been to vegas several times know
    1st of all the airport is right next to the vegas strip get a taxi

have you got a budget of the cost of the holiday

as said before i would not recommend all inclusive
    its Vegas and needs to be seen go out eat in different places each hotel has six or seven restaurants and bars varying in price
    you can eat cheap as chips if thats your thing personally i like to eat like a king
    there are buffet resaurants and some hotels like bellagio do buffet
    $28 & at the weekend add $5 you get some sparkling wine
    and its fantastic but there are lots like that .when its hot its hot
    i did two weeks 1st time in vegas and really enjoyed it . as for cost its better quality than eUrope
  • nw_man
    nw_man Posts: 739 Forumite
    Options
    silkyuk9 wrote: »
    Ive had a browse through that thread but its mind bending. To be honest we are looking for a nice hotel, somwhere close and somewhere safe! easy access from hotel to airport as Im not bothered about hiring a car. so lets say at a budget of around £450 to £500 each for flight plus hotel for around 5 to 7 nights stay. Month is important as wife loves a bit of sun so a few rays during the day and a pool.

As never been to US before I have to consider spends also. Generally when we go to Spain or Greece etc we generally spend around £50 to £70 a day however thats not including food as we go all inclusive.

So what are the costs of meals over there? Not bothered about dining in exclusive places every day, maybe a burger or something light during the day and on an evening maybe a nice restaurant every other evening and maybe a diner or place like pizza hut on few other evenings.

Any help would be great.

Can you clarify your budget please ?

£450-£500 for flights AND hotel ? That is a very tough ask with flight prices at the moment.

We have been to Vegas several times, agree with a previous poster, forget AI, I am not even sure if its available there.

Having just booked a vegas hotel for my friends honeymoon ( yes he put his faith in me :D ).. i can once again recommend holding your nerve and putting www.smartervegas.com into your favourites and then booking 2 or 3 hotels with full cancellation rights and then checking to see deals appearing.

Dont even bother looking until about 3-4 months before you want to go.

You did give me a chuckle with your idea of spends.... you could spend your daily budget in one hand of blackjack in Vegas, easy ;)

On the other hand, if you are clever ( and its NOT hard ).. you do get free alcohol everywhere :beer:
  • silkyuk9
    silkyuk9 Posts: 2,815 Forumite
    Options
    nw_man wrote: »
    Can you clarify your budget please ?

£450-£500 for flights AND hotel ? That is a very tough ask with flight prices at the moment.

We have been to Vegas several times, agree with a previous poster, forget AI, I am not even sure if its available there.

Having just booked a vegas hotel for my friends honeymoon ( yes he put his faith in me :D ).. i can once again recommend holding your nerve and putting www.smartervegas.com into your favourites and then booking 2 or 3 hotels with full cancellation rights and then checking to see deals appearing.

Dont even bother looking until about 3-4 months before you want to go.

You did give me a chuckle with your idea of spends.... you could spend your daily budget in one hand of blackjack in Vegas, easy ;)

On the other hand, if you are clever ( and its NOT hard ).. you do get free alcohol everywhere :beer:

Thanks. So lets start with flight and hotel, not bothered about moving hotels however, one will be fine. So im not looking for budget, but something nice and reasonable, flights from UK, possibly Manchester. Once I get a flight and hotel with a competitive price i then can start the next stage of planning, shows and tours etc. But first I have to get a good price to get there and stay. Also the sun is important as we do like to lay out during the day and catch a few rays!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure