🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Argos tv wrong model :(

Options
I bought a tv today a toshiba 22" LCD DVD combo from argos.
The catalogue states its a 22DV713 for £179.99

When I was at the till I was pleasently surprised that it had been reduced by £30 down to £149.99 along with the get a £10 voucher back for spending over £100 that was just advertised this morning what lucky timing I thought :rotfl: so I came away feeling pretty smug that I had saved myself £40 :o

So I struggled home on the bus with my bags of shopping and my shiny new tv tucked under my arm.

Anyway my joy was short lived, upon getting it home and getting my bits and bobs sorted out and set up I came to find it only had one HDMI port and I needed two :mad:

I chose this tv for that reason as it was the only one within my budget that had 2 HDMI ports, others with a dvd and 2 HDMI are 26" a little too big for my needs and a bit more expencive.

Upon further inspection I have been give a completely different model of tv, a toshiba 22DV500 this model isnt even shown on the toshiba site so it must be some kid of argos special jobby.

The one I wanted ad thought I bought was the one below.
http://www.home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/Regza-LCD-TV/Under-30-screen-size/22-LCD-DV713-Combi-Series-Black/

The specs are slightly better than the one i was given. ie beter speakers, 2 HDMI and a few other things.

Do I have any rights to get it replaced with one with the specs as advertised or is my only option to return the tv for a refunnd :(

Comments

• visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    you have a right to take it back, but argos due state that they reserve the right to substitute with a similar model on all orders - you can get a refund, but I suspect the product you wanted isn't available.

See if any stroes have it near you on this site...http://www.icheckstock.co.uk

5296448 is what you wanted, 5296400 is what you got, I think they made a mistake...
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,437 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    visidigi wrote: »
    you have a right to take it back, but argos due state that they reserve the right to substitute with a similar model on all orders - you can get a refund, but I suspect the product you wanted isn't available.

Argos do state this in their T&C's http://www.argos.co.uk/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/TermsAndConditions.htm
    We may experience problems with the supply of certain products and may therefore supply a substitute of the same or better quality at the same price. If you are not happy with the replacement or substitute you can return it in accordance with our 30-day money back guarantee.

In tho OP's case it's a lesser quality, so I would phone their HO and see if they can exchange it for the one you want. I would expect them to deliver and pick up as it's their mistake.
  • visidigi
    Options
    Zandoni wrote: »
    I would expect them to deliver and pick up as it's their mistake.

Doubt it, the OP bought in store and had time to inspect the item before leaving - DSR's don't apply so chances are thye will just ask the Op to return it to store for a refund...
  • NeilF3485
    NeilF3485 Posts: 600 Forumite
    edited 26 May 2011 at 3:37PM
    Options
    The main issue is presumably the number of HDMI ports.

You can buy an HDMI splitter for about £10 on Amazon - just do this and you're still better off after your discount.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-Switch-input-output-Switcher/dp/B0020426AG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306420498&sr=8-1

You could also probably buy one from Argos using the £10 voucher they gave you?
    "We can all fly as high as the dreams we dare to live...........unless we are a chicken" ~ Anon.
  • easyhost
    easyhost Posts: 424 Forumite
    Options
    well the TV box the OP was given would have clearly stated the model of TV.
    Argos are very good when it comes to returning goods, so take it back to the store and say its not the model ordered. before doing that go on their site and see if the model you want is in stock and at the store and then reserve this, so you take the wrong one back and then give here them the reserved number, then check the box before leaving the store.
  • Zandoni
    Options
    Doubt it, the OP bought in store and had time to inspect the item before leaving - DSR's don't apply so chances are thye will just ask the Op to return it to store for a refund...

Nothing to do with DSR it's just good customer service. Argos made the mistake of giving the OP the wrong TV, that's why the OP needs to phone a manager at the HO.
  • Unintentional
    Unintentional Posts: 316 Forumite
    Options
    Were you told at the tills that you may recieve a substitute? Because that's what the staff are legally meant to tell you if it's a possibility.
    I try to help as much as I can. But I'm also honest and speak my mind.

Smoke free since Jan 2014 :D If you want any advice on quitting please send me a PM. :)
  • visidigi
    Options
    Zandoni wrote: »
    Nothing to do with DSR it's just good customer service. Argos made the mistake of giving the OP the wrong TV, that's why the OP needs to phone a manager at the HO.

Its not a mistake - its a substitute -Argos are very upfront with the fact there may be an alternative offered, indeed I beleive the recipt with the collection desk says the same...

At the end of the day, it would have been easily rectified if the OIP had checked the item before walking out of the store.

Good Customer Service or not, HO is just going to say take it back to store - they didn't deliver it so they have no obligation to collect it from the OP.

Sorry but this is the facts not opinion of the issue at hand.
  • visidigi
    Options
    Were you told at the tills that you may recieve a substitute? Because that's what the staff are legally meant to tell you if it's a possibility.

I'd be surprised if they are legally obliged to tell you, as the substitute is automatically assigned by the system, not a human.

And whats more, the self checkouts don't tell you this, I beleive its printed on the collection receipt though.
  • Zandoni
    Options
    Its not a mistake - its a substitute -Argos are very upfront with the fact there may be an alternative offered, indeed I beleive the recipt with the collection desk says the same...

At the end of the day, it would have been easily rectified if the OIP had checked the item before walking out of the store.

Good Customer Service or not, HO is just going to say take it back to store - they didn't deliver it so they have no obligation to collect it from the OP.

Sorry but this is the facts not opinion of the issue at hand.

It's not the customers job to check what goods are given in the shop and you can't expect them to understand what the model numbers are.

You'd be surprised what HO's can do if you ask. If they refuse to deliver they will probably at least give a gift voucher.

There is no such things as facts in matters like this, Argos are usually pretty good will definitely give some sort of goodwill gesture if you ask the right person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport