New Santander Accounts with same A/C number?

Options
bobwilson
bobwilson Posts: 595 Forumite
edited 26 May 2011 at 7:09PM in Savings & investments
I just opened a Satander Current Account, Super Rate Saver Account and First Home Saver Account.

For some reason, every Santander savings account has the same account number. You apparently have to type your unique savings account reference number into the 'reference' field.

The Santander girl told me that I have to set up 2 standing orders from my old Natwest Account into the new savings accounts, in order to get the £100 joining gift.

However, when I try to do this Natwest gives me an error "You already have a payee set up to the same account number"

Obviously :cool:

Comments

• tom717
    tom717 Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    Will the Santander current account let you set up a standing order to both saving accounts? And then have an SO going into that account from Natwest? A bit long-winded, but possibly a way round it.
  • bobwilson
    Options
    tom717 wrote: »
    Will the Santander current account let you set up a standing order to both saving accounts? And then have an SO going into that account from Natwest? A bit long-winded, but possibly a way round it.

No, you're missing the point. You HAVE to have at least 2 standing orders set up in your previous account in order to get the £100 joining welcome. So, the girl told me to set it up in this way. But you can't..
  • pressuredrop_2
    Options
    I assume you don't use your NatWest current account to pay bills.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    bobwilson wrote: »
    No, you're missing the point. You HAVE to have at least 2 standing orders set up in your previous account in order to get the £100 joining welcome. So, the girl told me to set it up in this way. But you can't..

Your original post didn't actually say anything about it being for the £100 incentive - I certainly took it to mean that you wanted to save monthly into these two savings accounts, but Natwest wouldn't let you have two standing orders.

If the aim is just for the £100 incentive, then set up one of them from Natwest to Santander, and set up another (for, say, £1) to go from Natwest to your real bank. Santander can then transfer these two SOs over.
  • ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there, let me clear this up for you.

Santander savings accounts all use the same account number and sort code. These are:

S/C: 09-00-00
    A/N: 00050005

The number you are given is what you use as the reference or roll number. So for example, you would use R1789846 followed by your surname code e.g. Jones would be JON

So you use the generic sort code and account number, then use the R1789846JON as the reference.

Hope that helps.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For some reason, every Santander savings account has the same account number. You apparently have to type your unique savings account reference number into the 'reference' field.

The Santander girl told me that I have to set up 2 standing orders on my old Natwest Account into the new savings accounts.

However, when I try to do this Natwest gives me an error "You already have a payee set up to the same account number"

Obviously :cool:
    Can you not set up two SOs to the same payee with diffrent references?
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • bobwilson
    edited 26 May 2011 at 6:31PM
    Options
    ses6jwg wrote: »
    Hi there, let me clear this up for you.

Santander savings accounts all use the same account number and sort code. These are:

S/C: 09-00-00
    A/N: 00050005

The number you are given is what you use as the reference or roll number. So for example, you would use R1789846 followed by your surname code e.g. Jones would be JON

So you use the generic sort code and account number, then use the R1789846JON as the reference.

Hope that helps.

ses6jwg, you're missing the point. In Natwest, you CAN'T set up 2 standing orders with the same account number and sort code. Each SO has to have a unique account number.
  • bobwilson
    Options
    Eco_Miser wrote: »
    Can you not set up two SOs to the same payee with diffrent references?

thank you!!!!!! :D thank you for understanding my posts. At least now I know I'm not talking another language! :rotfl:

and no , you can't. :o
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 May 2011 at 6:31PM
    Options

Seems that Santander have found a way to stop people cheating the system. ;)

As presumably internally Santanders account system copes with this numbering system.
  • bobwilson
    edited 26 May 2011 at 6:51PM
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Seems that Santander have found a way to stop people cheating the system. ;)

Cheating what system? How so? Who's cheating? Where? When? Who? Why?

Hope you don't accuse too many people of "cheating the system" in daily life as someone less relaxed might take offense :p:D:o;)

The Santander girl mentioned that all their savings accounts have the same account number and sort code because these accounts originate from when they were a building society. It has nothing to do with stopping "people cheating the system" whatever system that might be.

I'm trying to do what the santander girl told me to do. I don't have standing orders or direct debits on my current account. I just don't tend to use them. I handle my finances myself, manually. How is that cheating :cool:?

With respect, Thrugelmir, I think you're missing the pudding on this ole' little tale and seeing conspiracy theories where there aren't any :)

Natwest don't allow more than one SO to the same account number

Santander savings accounts all have the same 00050005 account number.

It looks to be a technical glitch/incompatibility on the part of both banks. Santander could do with updating their system to give each account a unique account number, and Natwest could do with updating their system to allow multiple SOs to the same account number.

No big deal, it's just interesting that the Santander/Natwest girl advised me to do something that turns out is impossible. I'll just have to remember to set it all up manually once the Santander accounts are complete.

Ahh such is life. One can only smile. The day I do something with a company and don't get a problem I will fall flat on my face! :beer: :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport