Southwest USA & The West Coast (California, Arizona etc) - General Thread

Options

Comments

• rorylando45
    Options
    Hi all, I will be stopping at Los Angeles next summer for one night only, on Friday 5th June. I am looking for hotel/motel options, was wondering if anyone could help.

Ideally I would like to stay near the beach (Santa Monica/Venice Beach area). We are flying from LAX the next day and the airport seems quite accessible from the beach, is that right? Worst case scenario we could take a cab.

I am looking for a twin room somewhere, thought I'd be able to get some good prices this far in advance, but so far I've been surprised at how expensive everywhere has been? I suppose it's a Friday night in June, is that normal?
  • vanilla8
    vanilla8 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am looking for a twin room somewhere, thought I'd be able to get some good prices this far in advance, but so far I've been surprised at how expensive everywhere has been? I suppose it's a Friday night in June, is that normal?

I cant recommend a twin room but I can tell you it was expensive when i went too, we ended up getting a good deal with priceline.
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 October 2014 at 9:20PM
    Options
    Hi all, I will be stopping at Los Angeles next summer for one night only, on Friday 5th June. I am looking for hotel/motel options, was wondering if anyone could help.

Ideally I would like to stay near the beach (Santa Monica/Venice Beach area). We are flying from LAX the next day and the airport seems quite accessible from the beach, is that right? Worst case scenario we could take a cab.

Once had a 13hr lay over at LAX and caught the bus to Santa Monica Pier.
    Mind you had no luggage as it was checked through.

So a cab ride wouldn't be too far (IIRC)

Many moons ago we used Priceline to get a bargain for our last few nights near LAX
    Residence Inn Manhattan Beach
    Had a car then though.

So you have plenty of time to research suitable properties on Priceline or Hotwire near the beach\airport and some will have airport shuttles.

Another alternative-which is what I now use the most -is to sign up to the IHG rewards points scheme.

if you get their free (or soon to be released fee paying[£99] card) you will get 20,000 points (cost £99 fee) which is just about enought to get a LAX hotel for one night.

Look at Headforpoints for the credit card updates.

Doesn't have to be IHG, just pick a CC that give generous Hotel points on opening.
    You have plenty of time to get the points-and these are usually refundable nights-unlike Priceline.
  • Bri1
    Bri1 Posts: 219 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2014 at 11:26PM
    Options
    Both Santa Monica & Venice beach are very expensive to stay at, we used the Super 8 LAX (Airport Blvd), V cheap for an airport motel in the area, free shuttle bus both ways from Terminal, & not too far from Venice beach
  • itsanne
    itsanne Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just thought I'd say 'Hi' from Port Hueneme. :beer:

Road problems around Yosemite meant we went with Plan B, not a disaster as we've been before. We also decided to keep San Francisco (again, been before) for another time and go before picking up a car. So far it's been:

LAX - Corona for first night

Flagstaff (for Grand Canyon South Rim) (2 nights)

Las Vegas via Hoover Dam (2 nights)

Wofford Heights via Death Valley (1 night)

Monterey (2 nights)

Morro Bay (1 night)

Port Hueneme (Here now for one night)

Tomorrow we'll head for Palm Springs via LA as the end of the road trip part of the holiday. Where has the time gone? :eek:
    . . .I did not speak out

Then they came for me
    And there was no one left
    To speak out for me..

Martin Niemoller
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    I'm now scoping out another trip.

Likely to be July or October. Maybe 2015 but probably 2016. Probably looking at 12-14 nights.

Here's my first stab at a route. Wide open to adjustment based on information from others. No sacred cows this time (although I'd love to see Death Valley again). Vegas isn't an essential starting point. Would consider Denver.

Vegas
    Death Valley
    Mammoth Lakes
    Lake Tahoe
    Elko
    Salt Lake City
    Arches
    Canyon Lands
    Monument Valley
    Amangiri
    Zion
    Vegas

- Mrs PW has developed an interest in the night sky, inspired by Grand Canyon and Mammoth Lakes overnighters, so any suggested motel locations in the middle of nowhere with minimal light pollution are welcome!

- Additionally, where would be best for a couple of two night stops?

- Any weather concerns in July / October?

Alas, no camping. Mrs PW won't allow it!

Thanks in advance.
  • northwest1965
    Options
    I know what you mean about the GC night sky. It's something else isn't it.

For Monument Valley, I can recommend http://www.kayentamonumentvalleyinn.com/

before we went, it had some bad reviews, I was really concerned but it must have had a refurb, because it was great. I think I have some pics somewhere.

Where are you staying in DV? Stovepipe Wells is worth an overnighter (I adore DV, had 5 nights here over 2 trips)
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Where are you staying in DV? Stovepipe Wells is worth an overnighter (I adore DV, had 5 nights here over 2 trips)
    Don't know yet!

We had a tremendous burger passing through Panamint Springs, but the accommodation looked a bit err rustic.

So very much a blank canvas.
  • northwest1965
    Options
    Don't know yet!

We had a tremendous burger passing through Panamint Springs, but the accommodation looked a bit err rustic.

We stopped off in Beatty, that looked quite nice. Near to the ghost town Rhyolite
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • Crispy_Ambulance
    Options
    Don't know yet!

We stayed at Panamint Springs this year and were really impressed. I was expecting a bit of a shed, but the room had aircon and fans and was very comfortable. Water pressure wasn't great in the shower but that was the only niggle. It was lovely to sit out and watch the sunset on the hills and it felt very much away from it all.

We all loved Zion Canyon and had a couple of nights there. Springdale is right by the entrance and is a lovely little town, thoroughly charming and laid back. We hiked Observation Point and it's a great walk. You could do 2 or 3 nights at Springdale and get the most out of the park.
    "Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure