27 replies 2.8K views
13»

Replies

• tifotifo Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    sb2 wrote: »
    No, but the majority of phones are android and the nearest competitor is OSX.

They're not. The majority of phones have proprietary software. Only a small proportion are osx or android, though this will increase.

Yes, some may be able to use Java apps but not unless the hardware is built in, like bluetooth.
  • Sagz_2Sagz_2 Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You lot are a bunch of kill joys! Just how groovey and fun would it be to pay for everything with with your phone!

(self-confessed gadget freak:))
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • 23n1th23n1th Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    More fun than having your details/money stolen and your privacy compromises.
  • Snakeeyes21Snakeeyes21
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    meh why dont they just implant chips in our heads and we can go around headbutting tills to buy stuff
  • tifotifo Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    meh why dont they just implant chips in our heads and we can go around headbutting tills to buy stuff

They're working on it :D
  • fussy123fussy123 Forumite
    8 Posts
    I've got one of those Barclay's Orange Contactless Phones and I've been trying it at McDonalds Today. It's pretty good, the staff seemed surprised I was able to pay by holding my phone over their reader. There's a pretty big incentive from Barclays too because they give to £10 to spend then 10% cashback on everything for 3 months. What's good is you can see what you've spend and what you've got left all the time. You can even set the phone so you need a PIN for each transaction or just to unlock the phone before payments can be made. The other point is you can register different cards against the wallet so you can switch between funding accounts depending on how much you have available in them. There is also a neat funtion which allows you to programme Contactless tags (stickers or cards). So for example you could programme a tag to send a certain text message if you tapped it or to top it up. Not bad.
  • The_GrandmasterThe_Grandmaster Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    As stated above, paying by mobile phone has been around in Asia for many years, even for purchases from vending machines.

Also Sony vaio laptops for the past few years come with a 'felica port' for internet shopping via mobiles... it might also work for the the equivalent of the Asian oyster cards.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES