MSE News: Orange launches first-ever pay by mobile system

Comments

• 23n1th
    23n1th Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    I wont be using it, mainly down to privacy and security concerns, just like I wont and don't use my credit cards that way.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,988 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Why not have an android app that displays a barcode to the barcode reader that lets you pay rather than this near field stuff?
    I think....
  • Jimmyc wrote: »
    Contactless cards I see the benefit on small purchases as it saves time with little risk. But when do you only have to take out your phone? i take my wallet with me everywhere evan when i don't intend to spend any money as it has all my drivers licence, RAC card etc, oh and my keys so i can get back in.

Normally when i go to work i dont take much of anything and this will help for what i may need through the day - lunch and such like.

Double bonus as i just got rid of my personla mobile so this means only 1 phone and not 2 and no need for any cards or cash on me too
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • Bloomberg
    Bloomberg Posts: 665 Forumite
    I think that the idea is totally pointless. You will still need to take your credit card with you as the quick tap only allows you to spend up to £15 in one transaction.
    Contactless card payments are a good thing but this is a pointless advance.

I seldom go out shopping without making a transaction above £15, I dare say I am not alone. The advantages of this system elude me.
    Money is a wise mans religion
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Call me paranoid but I do like the (supposed) security of having to enter a pin.

It just seems a little bit safer in a world where everyone is trying to defraud everything.
  • G'Meister
    G'Meister Posts: 874 Forumite
    It just seems a little bit safer in a world where everyone is trying to defraud everything.

Stop reading the daily mail.
  • spenderdave
    spenderdave Posts: 673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My mobile is a basic one only used for emergencies. Can't see me buying a special smart phone just as another means of paying for things.
  • tifo
    tifo Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    michaels wrote: »
    Why not have an android app that displays a barcode to the barcode reader that lets you pay rather than this near field stuff?

Does EVERY phone have android or osx mobile (iphone)?
  • tifo
    tifo Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My mobile is a basic one only used for emergencies. Can't see me buying a special smart phone just as another means of paying for things.

'They' expect every phone to have contactless technology built in, just like bluetooth (which also has it's own version of NFT.
  • sb2_2
    sb2_2 Posts: 111 Forumite
    tifo wrote: »
    Does EVERY phone have android or osx mobile (iphone)?

No, but the majority of phones are android and the nearest competitor is OSX.

Samsung have their own system and symbian is still around. They could just make a Java app that will run on any platform and pretty much any phone.

Back to the topic, As far as Ive heard its only on one phone for now and cant be put onto pre-existing phones so no one will buy a special phone just for this as im sure it wont be cheap.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure