Great 'cheap things to do in London' Hunt

Comments

• Rosie1978
    Rosie1978 Posts: 123 Forumite
    There some fantastic tips of this thread. I'm particularly chuffed that CupcakeSquirrel mentioned the Crossbones Cemetery. I've wanted to see it for ages and now I work in London Bridge, I'm going to pop there after work tomorrow!

You've all exhausted the tips I had but I would reccomend getting an Oyster card to any visitors. It works out cheaper, especially if you are in town for a few days. Do some maths before hand and check if it works out cheaper than a travel card!

Just a bit more on the free events this summer at The Scoop..... it's at MoreLondon, right next to Boris Johnson's office and about a 10-minute walk from London Bridge tube. The events are fab actually - they have opera, plays, live music and they are showing film classics late summer like Dirty Dancing. It is an outside venue though! I can't post links but Google 'More London'. Well worth a look!

That part of London is great actually. From More London you can see Tower Bridge (or walk into it almost, it's that close :) ) and the Tower of London, the Gherkin etc - it's a great view!
  • Just wanted to say thanks, there are some great tips here. I'm taking my husband to London for the day next month and will definitely be using some of these.

Does anyone know if there is a website where you can put in your start and end destinations and it will give you a walking route, incorporating areas of interest?

Thans in advance.

http://walkit.com/cities/?welcome

Does the link above help?
  • twirlypen wrote: »
    in the city a great out of the way spot to visit.
    I thought what an odd name so googled it and was surpised as to the size and history of it. Thankyou.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park
  • Daisy_doo_3
    Daisy_doo_3 Posts: 205 Forumite
    I've also done the open top bus tour (with headphone audio). We saw things we never would have normally, both in side streets and looking at all the buildings! - even though it was quite expensive, we thought it was quite good value. We were on and off for most of the day, but as I was 7 months pregnant at the time it was great - didn't really want to go into underground or walk too far!! I love London
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    RAF Museum at Hendon. Not sure how many stops but 9mins away from Euston by tube to the nearest station and free entry.
    You must have been travelling on a VERY fast tube train, typical journey time is around 23 minutes!
    Stompa
  • superlative
    superlative Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    froggy27 wrote: »
    I wonder if anybody can advise. Inspired from this thread ;) I've written to my MP re. visiting Clock tower and houses of parliament and she's now asking for dates. Do you know if the tour runs on Saturdays? or only weekdays? and if so morning/afternoon? thank you

The parliament site has all the info. I still can't post links as a newbie, but try www dot parliament dot uk slash visiting and you should find it from there. The clock tower tour is separate tour from the houses of parliament one, make sure you look at both for times and days.

By the way they say: Space is extremely limited and early booking, 3-6 months in advance, is strongly recommended

A friend of mine is one of the tour guides!
  • grey_lady
    grey_lady Posts: 1,047 Forumite
    Check out https://www.walks.com they are low cost guided walks often carried out / performed by jobbing actors, really informative and enjoyable.
    Snootchie Bootchies!
  • kaz0705
    kaz0705 Posts: 240 Forumite
    The parliament site has all the info. I still can't post links as a newbie, but try www dot parliament dot uk slash visiting and you should find it from there. The clock tower tour is separate tour from the houses of parliament one, make sure you look at both for times and days.

By the way they say: Space is extremely limited and early booking, 3-6 months in advance, is strongly recommended

A friend of mine is one of the tour guides!

As Superlative said, its very popular so reply with a number of options (but see how easy it is to partake in your democratic right?! LOVE IT!).

I would say the Parliament tour isn't that difficult to book- 6 months definitely not being necessary. To be honest, for the tours, a month's notice should be plenty. It's the clock tower that books so far in advance because they only do about 3 tours a day so definitely anticipate a good few months notice for that.

The best *day* to do a parliament tour is Friday as the house doesn't sit so you get full access to parliament, including the chambers. If a tour is conducted whilst the house is in session, you'll do everything but that bit. Also, remember the summer tours will be starting soon so from the end of july, when the house is in recess, there will be hundreds of tours a day.

Also just remembered another tip! To go in and watch a debate in either chamber (commons or lords) is free (and, again, your democratic right) but the queue for the commons is always much, much longer than the lords. However, the lords is arguably more exciting as there is less 'toe-ing the party line' and there are some real characters but also, so I've been told, it helps you 'skip' the queue to the commons.

Have fun!
    LBM: January 2010
    DFD: August 27th 2012
  • Tel50+
    Tel50+ Posts: 34 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I took my 17 and 15 year olds to the Old Bailey at half term. No admission for under 14s. Security very strict but they both thought it really interesting. Can go and and out of different trials.

http://www.londontoolkit.com/whattodo/oldbailey.htm
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    RichyRich wrote: »
    Quick cheap lunch - try the Beigel Bake at the top end (Shoreditch High Street end) of Brick Lane. Nearest tube - Aldgate East (District/H&C Line) plus a ten minute walk. Nearest overground - Shoreditch High Street.

Best salt beef bagels ever! There are two bagel shops a few doors from each other - the better one is the one nearer the Shoreditch High Street end.

agreed , it's this one

beigel-bake-brick-lane.jpg

regular trips from work on the 388 bus to stock up the freezer
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts