Great 'cheap things to do in London' Hunt

Comments

• girllikeme1
    girllikeme1 Posts: 207 Forumite
    One of my favourite things to do in London is to go to Camden and look around the unusual shops and market. If you go into the main undercover market, it doesn't even matter if it's raining, and the food courts are a real experience with so much variety and every stand trying to convince you that their version is best!
  • Going to head to the spanish festival thing on Regents Street this weekend, should be good. Also just saw that Action Cameras are doing a comp for a free surfing holiday in the south of france and a free helmet video camera to all there facebook fans...love free stuff :)
  • Also, my gfriend and I signed up to be mystery diners and get to eat in London restaurants for nothin'. Off to one tonight actually
  • xfive71
    xfive71 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Saatchi gallery at the Duke of York Headquarters
    nearest tube : Sloane Square

http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/

Somerset House when the water fountains are on is like a huge urban beach where kids can run in and out of the fountains
  • JWF1958
    JWF1958 Posts: 19 Forumite
    this sounds expensive but it needn't be. visit Harrod's Food Hall for picnic items, eg, french stick, soft-ish cheese (that you can tear so don't need a knife), piece of fruit, bottle of soft drink. then walk 5 mins to Hyde Park to eat it. I haven't done this for a few years but I'm pretty sure it's much cheaper than a 'takeaway' sandwich & drink, as well as more convenient than taking all your food with you from home and having to carry it everywhere
  • johnc
    johnc Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Also, my gfriend and I signed up to be mystery diners and get to eat in London restaurants for nothin'. Off to one tonight actually

Whats the website to sign up for that can I ask? :D
  • froggy27_2
    froggy27_2 Posts: 953 Forumite
    I wonder if anybody can advise. Inspired from this thread ;) I've written to my MP re. visiting Clock tower and houses of parliament and she's now asking for dates. Do you know if the tour runs on Saturdays? or only weekdays? and if so morning/afternoon? thank you
    A friend is a present which you give yourself (R.Stevenson)
    Happiness seems made to be shared (Jean Racine)
  • If you want a break from shopping walk down Duke Street by Selfridges and go to the Wallace collection which is a free museum housing a collecton of furniture, arms and armour porcelain and paintings, including works by Titian, Rembrandt and Gainsborough. It is an oasis of calm away from the Oxford Street shops.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Fifilondon wrote: »
    Museum of London - Everything you could want to know about london.

I like the Museum of London. It's hidden away next to the Barbican. The MoL also have a sister Museum - the Museum of London in Docklands. They used to charge adults £5 for annual admission but it is now free.

Also another out of the way one is the V&A Museum of Childhood at Bethnal Green. It's a fantastic place to visit with or without kids. Even if you're not that old you'll get a buzz seeing some of the things you used to play with.
    The man without a signature.
  • Just wanted to say thanks, there are some great tips here. I'm taking my husband to London for the day next month and will definitely be using some of these.

Does anyone know if there is a website where you can put in your start and end destinations and it will give you a walking route, incorporating areas of interest?

Thans in advance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport