PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bread flour vs ordinary plain flour?

Options

Comments

• Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    On top of which there is a wider variety of strong flours than soft; granary, wholemeal etc.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • Purplekylie22
    Purplekylie22 Posts: 367 Forumite
    Options
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    On top of which there is a wider variety of strong flours than soft; granary, wholemeal etc.

No No No dont confuse me :( my brain is only very small after having 3 children :cry: asda has white strong bread flour that will do for now at least!
    Bankruptcy Supporters Club No.179
  • bitemebankers
    bitemebankers Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Options
    In the interests of moneysavingness, Lidl to a good UK-produced white bread flour at very reasonable price. I'd recommend it.
    "There may be a legal obligation to obey, but there will be no moral obligation to obey. When it comes to history, it will be the people who broke the law for freedom that will be remembered and honoured." --Rt. Hon. Tony Benn
  • Purplekylie22
    Purplekylie22 Posts: 367 Forumite
    Options
    oh yey thank you, biteme :)
    Bankruptcy Supporters Club No.179
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    While you're waiting for your breadmaker, try this delicious recipe for soda bread, which uses ordinary flour and doesn't need kneading http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=2787388&postcount=8

The recipe calls for buttermilk, but I make my own sour milk substitute by adding a tablespoon of vinegar to the milk and letting it stand for five minutes, then it's ready to add. The recipe is foolproof so thanks to Smashing who posted it originally!

Hope this helps.
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Options
    The main difference between flour is the gluten content.

When i make bread i.e a loaf i use half white bread flour and 1/2 plain flour, works out fine, really light and fluffy.

Recently i've just been using all plain flour and again the bread has been lighter than all bread flour.

So i just mainly use plain flour, my lot all prefer it too and i have a wheat allergy, it stops me from being ill. I found this out after i just ate bread made from bread and i was absolute agony.

Also you can use, if the bread machine has a dough setting. you can use all plain flour to make pizza dough. Very moreish and yummy.

hth

kez
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,310 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 17 May 2011 at 4:21PM
    Options
    Purplekylie22, As this will be your first foray into BM breadmaking, please just use either Lidl or Asda bread flour [if you want foolproof use Waitrose Canadian strong flour, it is not cheap]

And remember to use correct easy yeast, in sachets. And avoid the "rapid" setting for first attempt

Use lukewarm water as well, you can safely ignore the add milk powder bits, and do follow the recipe provided until you get the feel of it, nothing worse than a flop at stage one

PS, plenty of time to experiment once you know you + BM can produce a good loaf
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »

And remember to use correct easy yeast, in sachets. And avoid the "rapid" setting for first attempt

I don't use the sachets of yeast anymore, someone on here suggested 'Doves Farm' yeast, in an orange wrapper from Tesco, it's much cheaper than the sachets.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • bitemebankers
    bitemebankers Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Options
    I used that too, SailorSam. It works out a *lot* cheaper if you're a very regular baker.

To help preserve the life of the yeast, I seal the pack with a clip-seal, place that inside a clip-top plastic container and put that in the fridge. In this way it lasts at least 12 months.
    "There may be a legal obligation to obey, but there will be no moral obligation to obey. When it comes to history, it will be the people who broke the law for freedom that will be remembered and honoured." --Rt. Hon. Tony Benn
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,310 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I don't use the sachets of yeast anymore, someone on here suggested 'Doves Farm' yeast, in an orange wrapper from Tesco, it's much cheaper than the sachets.

It may well be, but I was attempting to advise the OP and avoid a disappointing first loaf, plenty of time to chop & change once OP knows they can succeed, just follow the instructions first time
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure